L'Amarante 1747 from ANCRE monograph in 1:36 - by Bill-R

Hello everyone,

I have decided to use mostly cherry for construction of the L’Amarante. I found a company in the US. that sells cherry. The company name is Ocooch Hardwoods. They were very receptive to my email questions and were very interested as to what I was going to use the cherry for. Has anyone had experience with them?

Thanks,
Bill

Good morning Bill I'm glad to hear that you have found a wood supplier. Unfortunately, I have no experience with church, but I also dealt with the topic at the beginning and read that cherry and pear have almost the same wood density, so it is suitable for your project. As far as I read further, the difference is in the wood grain, the cherry is probably a bit coarser and the color is a bit redder. Since there are enough model builders who also use cherry, I think you made a good choice.
Greetings Tobias.

Hello everyone,

I have decided to use mostly cherry for construction of the L’Amarante. I found a company in the US. that sells cherry. The company name is Ocooch Hardwoods. They were very receptive to my email questions and were very interested as to what I was going to use the cherry for. Has anyone had experience with them?

Thanks,
Bill
Ocooch has beautiful wood, good prices and fast shipping indeed. Cant go wrong with them.

Bill would love to see photos of the wood, if you decide to place your order.

Thanks!

Two Cherry, One Maple and Two Beech.
The Cherry once milled has no problems despite the grainy look here. The Beech and Maple are great. I thinking too about what woods to use for my Le Rochefort. I used these three on my Blandford section and would like to change it up but these woods look so good I’ll have to think on it more.

47E01826-89CC-4993-832D-537324E98326.jpeg

I really like the color and grain of the beech. I don’t know much about beech. How is it to build with?

When I talked with Ocooch, they said when I place my order for building a ship model, ask for planks with straight grain and they would pick out pieces with straight grain. Sounds like great service.

Bill

The Beech is my favorite of the 3 because it’s so clean. It’s nice hard wood. I may go with Beech for Le Rochefort.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

My order from ANCRE arrived today. I placed the order on 06-04-2022 ( which was a Saturday) and it arrived today!!! That was nine days from France. I live in Florida. You can't do any better than that. It would take that long to order something from my own state. Thank you ANCRE and the mail services for the unbelievable response.

I have just started going through all of the information that was in my package. I am going to have a lot of reading in front of me before starting the actual build. As I have mentioned in a different thread, a scratch build will be new for me. I have built one ship model from a kit and I didn't feel I ran into any concerns. I have been scratch building aircraft models from plans for the past 25 years, so hopefully this will help me along. This something that I have always wanted to do and I finally have the opportunity do it. One thing about me is that I am not shy about taking up a challenge. But then again, I do remember as a child jumping into the deep end of a pool before I knew how to swim. :)

I am very much so looking forward to starting this new adventure.

Before I get started, I would like to say thanks to all of the members that have made me feel welcome in my short time I have been a member of Ships of Scale.

Thanks,
Bill
Hallo @Bill-R
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I live in the Tampa Bay area. We are getting ready for a hurricane. Going to get windy. It will get interesting.

Thanks,
Bill
I hope that the approaching hurricane will spare you as much as possible. Have a great time with your family.I hope that the approaching hurricane will spare you as much as possible. Have a great time with your family.

Hello everyone,

I've been getting material and information for my upcoming build. A while back, I seem to remember someone suggesting a rigging book for 17th or 18th century French Corvette's. Does anyone recall a book of that subject, or am I loosing my mind.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Hi Bill maybe you saw the book here. just browse.

Back