L'Amarante 1747 from ANCRE monograph in 1:36 - by Bill-R

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the likes.

Hi Tobias. Yes, I was referring to the planking. that's one aspect cherry that I am not sure about. I have seen some beautiful ship models that have a wood that has a very deep red color. The color looks like mahogany, but the grain of the wood appears finer. I really like that color. I am not sure if it is a natural color or if it is stained. I was looking at some builds the other day and found a ship that had this deep red color. That was the most beautiful ship model that I have seen.

Thanks,
Bill

Often chinese POF-kits are using cherry either for the farming but also for hull planking - > all with good results (see my Granado)
You can bend cherry very good......

Bonjour Bill,
je vais m'installer pour suivre cette construction d'un futur beau modèle, je te souhaite une bonne réussite et surtout de la patience ! :)

Last edited:
Hello Bosco,
Thank you for looking in. I am looking forward to getting started with the build. I am getting all of the details in place so I can get started. I agree completely that patience is the most important component of a build. I sometimes find that I am getting frustrated during a build, I just need to slow down.

Hello Uwek,
The cherry looks very nice. The biggest concern that I have found right now is finding a good supply of material, which ever I decide on.

Thanks for looking in.

Bill

Hello Bill here in the forum there is some information where you can buy wood e.g.

Hi Bill. I have been building balsa planes (rubber free flight) for a little while and recently completed a scratch HMS Blandford section that was a group build here, I used Cherry, Beech and Maple. My next ship project will be Le Rochefort based on Adrian's book. I think it'll be easier to build the actual ship the book is on and a single mast small vessel will be perfect as a first full ship scratch build as opposed to a big complex ship. I agree with others here, use high quality hardwoods. You have quite a years long project ahead of you. Good luck.

Hello tonphil,
Thanks for looking in.
Looking like I will mostly use cherry and boxwood and probably some ebony. I have been reading over everything I can find and I agree it will be a complex project.

Bill
Yes indeed. I really enjoyed the section I did. Took me 10 months working most days per week and quite a few hours a day. An entire ship is another thing all together. Many frames and the bow and stern with very complex shapes and angles all have to fit perfectly. Very important is to set up for making multiple parts as accurately as possible but also efficiently so time and movement isn’t wasted. A day spend building a jig will save many many hours when it comes to making the parts. There’s no fudge factor as it’ll all be seen when done. It’ll still be enjoyable minus the frustration. Have you found many build logs on this ship ? . Tony.

Hello Tony,
I have quite a bit of preparation to do before I do any actual building. Part of the plan will be to use jigs to help. The biggest hurdle right now is the weather. I build in my garage and this time of year it is very hot. The other day it was 93 deg F during the day. That limits me to a little time in the morning and some in the evening. Also, I am going over to Europe for two weeks soon.

Thanks for looking in.
Bill

Yes don’t blame you the heat doesn’t make for pleasant building. I work in my garage too but I can cook it some with the door open to the house so it’s bearable but I’m in NJ not Fla. I have heat in winter which is more important. Really look into the woods you’ll use for different parts. Some builders use only one wood throughout but it’s not really realistic (to me) as different woods were used according to their working properties and strengths throughout ships. Find as many build logs as you can for this exact ship they’ll help you a lot when you’re building. You’ll no doubt need a small modeling table saw, drill press, mini mill, band or scroll saw, lathe etc but you’re a builder already so I’d think you have most already. People build without but for a project like this you’ll need them all. It’s hard enough with the tools, never mind without.

I have only been able to find few threads for the L’Amarante, but the threads are very good. I do have a good collection of wood working tools, but I will need to get several more. I will need to get a small mill and a mini table saw. I have been looking at the Proxxon tools for both. I have a 10 inch table saw and I could get it to work, but a small table saw would be much better.

Bill

Yes bought an 8” when my 10 broke up and it’s still way too big and fast to cut such thin stock accurately. The larger Proxxon and Mill are ideal or the Byrne’s table saw. You’ll be cutting a lot the saw will be a lifesaver.

Hi Tony,
I have been looking at both the Byrnes table saw and the Proxxon FET table saw. I have seen several reviews on both of the saws and the reviews were favorable for both. If anyone has an opinion, I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Bill

The Byrnes, hands down, lifetime quality, customer service second to none, accurate and built to last. It’s a jewel, you will never regret it.

Hola a todos,

Me he estado familiarizando con la monografía y tengo varias preguntas básicas. Estoy tratando de determinar cuánta madera necesitaré para construir este barco. Lo mejor que puedo determinar, es solo una cuestión de usar los dibujos para obtener una estimación de la cantidad de madera que se necesita. ¿Es eso correcto? Además, he estado leyendo sobre las diferentes maderas que se utilizan. ¿Es el tilo una madera aceptable? Algunas de las otras opciones de madera parecen ser escasas. El kit de barco que estoy terminando usa principalmente tilo.

Gracias por tu ayuda.

Factura
Puesz si ya estás terminando uno hecho con tilo....ya sabrás si es buena madera, no?

Byrnes, no question. Functional piece of art and engineered so well. Only regret, wish I got mine sooner.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the input. I’m going to go with the Byrnes. My birthday is this month and my wife made made the mistake of asking me what I wanted for my birthday. By the way, Byrnes is located not very far from where I live. I’m going to contact him and see if I can pick up the unit and save shipping costs.

Thanks,
Bill

Back