Lady Nelson - Amati 1:64

Don,

I promise last question. My kit came with four barrels. I don't see them in the photos. Did you not use them and if I were to want to where would they go?
thanks,
Jim

Very nice build, Don, he will be most pleased with it. In fact, who wouldn't?
With you precise small detailing and rigging you may find some realization that if all else fails you will be qualified for such small work as watch making. Very nicely done. Rich (PT-2)

Hello all, thanks for dropping in, also thanks for the likes and comments. Much appreciated
Today's update is not much especially when compared to @shelk Santisma Trinidad latest update. If you haven't already you really should check it out it is truly amazing what he is doing with that kit.
Anyways here is my meagre update:

View attachment 185370
First up is the chainplates.. These photo etched parts may look nice but they are a real bugger to assemble. Getting the one part around the deadeye is a challenge, you need to really stretch and deform them in order to fit. Once you do get them around and squeezed together the narrow end of the second piece then slips through the bottom part of the first piece then bent over to hold it in place. Soldering or gluing is then needed to hold it together, I used ca glue as I pre-painted all the parts. So with all this bending and deforming weak spots are created, I have had one fall off. To repair I re-attached using epoxy, this might be something to consider for those building this kit(install using epoxy).

View attachment 185371
The one thing that bothers me with many kits is the length of the belaying pins, they are always too short making rigging even more difficult. So I decided to replace the kit ones with some homemade pins. Using my rotary tool, some 2 mm dowel(toothpicks would work fine too) and a couple of files I made some new ones. I preset my calipers one for the length of the handle(4 mm) and the other for the length of the pin plus extra to allow for what is inserted in the rotary tool. The files I used are a cheap diamond file and for the shaft I used the flat perma-grit file.

View attachment 185372

Just giving you a better look at my measuring system. This was just to speed things up a little

View attachment 185375

WOW! A real close up o_O So the handle is formed first using the diamond file

View attachment 185376

Then the shaft is formed using the flat perma-grit

View attachment 185373

And this how it looks after coming out of the rotary tool

View attachment 185374

Aren't these macro shots useless? This compares the homemade one to the kit supplied one

View attachment 185377

I know, they are hard to see. I gave them a quick bath in India ink and some wipe on poly. I'm happy with how they turned out and I'm sure they will help with the rigging process.
If you look at the deadeye on the right you see a small speck, that is not dust that is the light shining off the epoxy I used to re-attach the deadeye.
Next up is the rigging, which I have already started doing some of the prep work. More to come soon

Thanks again for stopping in and hopefully I did not put you all to sleep!!
Hello all, thanks for dropping in, also thanks for the likes and comments. Much appreciated
Today's update is not much especially when compared to @shelk Santisma Trinidad latest update. If you haven't already you really should check it out it is truly amazing what he is doing with that kit.

View attachment 185370
First up is the chainplates.. These photo etched parts may look nice but they are a real bugger to assemble. Getting the one part around the deadeye is a challenge, you need to really stretch and deform them in order to fit. Once you do get them around and squeezed together the narrow end of the second piece then slips through the bottom part of the first piece then bent over to hold it in place. Soldering or gluing is then needed to hold it together, I used ca glue as I pre-painted all the parts. So with all this bending and deforming weak spots are created, I have had one fall off. To repair I re-attached using epoxy, this might be something to consider for those building this kit(install using epoxy).

View attachment 185371
The one thing that bothers me with many kits is the length of the belaying pins, they are always too short making rigging even more difficult. So I decided to replace the kit ones with some homemade pins. Using my rotary tool, some 2 mm dowel(toothpicks would work fine too) and a couple of files I made some new ones. I preset my calipers one for the length of the handle(4 mm) and the other for the length of the pin plus extra to allow for what is inserted in the rotary tool. The files I used are a cheap diamond file and for the shaft I used the flat perma-grit file.

View attachment 185372

Just giving you a better look at my measuring system. This was just to speed things up a little

View attachment 185375

View attachment 185376

View attachment 185373

View attachment 185374

Aren't these macro shots useless? This compares the homemade one to the kit supplied one

View attachment 185377

I know, they are hard to see. I gave them a quick bath in India ink and some wipe on poly. I'm happy with how they turned out and I'm sure they will help with the rigging process.
If you look at the deadeye on the right you see a small speck, that is not dust that is the light shining off the epoxy I used to re-attach the deadeye.
Next up is the rigging, which I have already started doing some of the prep work. More to come soon

The nelson is my first build and I struggled with the chainplates today. Came upstairs and just found your blog and it’s nice to see others are having the same problem. Also they supplied small brass nails none of which fit the chainplate so ended up drilling out the holes. Disappointed in the lack of detail on the plans especially for a first timer.

Hey All, here is the final instalment of the Lady Nelson. She is complete! :) Ship-1

View attachment 194969View attachment 194970View attachment 194971View attachment 194972View attachment 194973View attachment 194974View attachment 194975

There she is, I will keep her around for a few days before I take her to her final resting place. She is going to be a gift to Dr. Pillay here in Prince Albert.
Thanks so much for hanging around and for all the great comments and the likes.
I'll be starting another log possibly today or tomorrow
View attachment 194976View attachment 194977View attachment 194978View attachment 194979View attachment 194980View attachment 194981

That is her.
Thanks for hanging around to watch. Also Thanks for all the great comments and likes.
I'll be keeping the Lady around before I take her to her new owner. I am gifting her to a Doctor Pillay in town. Without going into a long story Doctor Pillay reached out and gave me some tremendous help early this past summer, so this is my way of thanking him. Hope he enjoys!!
You are all welcome to join me in my next build will be the HMS Ontario from MarisStella
Have A Good One
Don could you provide any input as to how you mounted the ship to the pedestals. I’m struggling as to the best way to do that. Thanks

View attachment 185370

View attachment 185371

View attachment 185372

View attachment 185375

View attachment 185376

View attachment 185373

View attachment 185374

View attachment 185377

Don I assume that it is not required to have the deadeye have the ability to move relative to the chainplate.

Hey All, here is the final instalment of the Lady Nelson. She is complete! :) Ship-1

View attachment 194969View attachment 194970View attachment 194971View attachment 194972View attachment 194973View attachment 194974View attachment 194975

There she is, I will keep her around for a few days before I take her to her final resting place. She is going to be a gift to Dr. Pillay here in Prince Albert.
Thanks so much for hanging around and for all the great comments and the likes.
I'll be starting another log possibly today or tomorrow
View attachment 194976View attachment 194977View attachment 194978View attachment 194979View attachment 194980View attachment 194981

That is her.
Thanks for hanging around to watch. Also Thanks for all the great comments and likes.
I'll be keeping the Lady around before I take her to her new owner. I am gifting her to a Doctor Pillay in town. Without going into a long story Doctor Pillay reached out and gave me some tremendous help early this past summer, so this is my way of thanking him. Hope he enjoys!!
You are all welcome to join me in my next build will be the HMS Ontario from MarisStella
Have A Good One
Don what size thread did you use for the anchor. I like your choice. Thanks

Nice build, Don. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to order wood. I wonder if it comes already planed and stripped down to the needed size, or did you do that yourself?

Back