La Nina - Artesania Latina - my first Wooden ship model.

I measured as best I could and will continue making as I intend to use home made ropes on La Pinta come April. (secret BD present from family. Grandkids make excellent spies :) and perhaps re rig La Nina. Hopefully no members were too bored seeing this post and please remember I am very very open to suggestions and assistance

06_Ropes size.png

That sound you just heard was my jaw hitting the ground. Your FIRST BUILD is outstanding. And then you went ahead and made your own rope once you realized that the kit offerings were substandard :D. I feel like there is an addiction about to happen ROTF...
Thank you for the compliment. The addiction comment made me laugh, you could be onto something there :) - cheers

awesome build,

Ah the fuzzies. I have had luck with thread wax from a fabric store. l find it helps also dealing with the blocks ( acts as a lubricant) BUT don’t know what it will look like years later.

if anyone knows, please tell us

thanks

That is lovely work. Your ropes (lines/sheets) are just beautiful! Nice job. I think you may be a bit of a buccaneer! Wonderful job.

This is aan excellent piece of work and I agree with Pasul "Jaw Dropping" on a first build. You must have many hidden talents that are now coming out. The trouble you wen to in making your own rope is outstanding.

This was your first build... really good.

The rope you made is pretty good. It will also turn out better if the headstock and tailstock are at the same height. Also, you could try the Frolich-type ropewalk. They are much easier to use.

The rudder assembly gave me problems, mostly because there is no Birchwood Casey available anywhere in the world due to COVID and no international delivery. In the end the brass got semi blackened with some leftover Mr Hobby aqueous Mat Black. La Nina starting to look a bit like the picture.

View attachment 296414
Plenty of Birchwood-Casey available here in UK.

Great start in model ship building! Welcome to the hobby! I think you learned the same lessons as the rest of us. I still have the first kit I built. It is the Revenue Cutter (two masted with a 20 pndr swivel cannon mid deck). Anyway, as I look at it now I see all of the rooky mistakes, especially in the rigging. I used the wrong threads, wrong colors, not tight, the seizings were sloppy (because I didn’t know how to do them), and the rigging is now sagging a bit. It is in a case but one of these days I want to take it out and totally redo the rigging. You did super great! What’s next?

Great start in model ship building! Welcome to the hobby! I think you learned the same lessons as the rest of us. I still have the first kit I built. It is the Revenue Cutter (two masted with a 20 pndr swivel cannon mid deck). Anyway, as I look at it now I see all of the rooky mistakes, especially in the rigging. I used the wrong threads, wrong colors, not tight, the seizings were sloppy (because I didn’t know how to do them), and the rigging is now sagging a bit. It is in a case but one of these days I want to take it out and totally redo the rigging. You did super great! What’s next?
WE never forget our First :) it was full of after thoughts but the experience was thoroughly enjoyable. Next up La Pinta.

Plenty of Birchwood-Casey available here in UK.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I check out several UK hunting outlets this morning, unfortunately Those that have Birchwood Casey Brass Black in stock also had the statement "we do not supply outside the UK" or "we do not supply to your area" Something will turn up especially when its no longer needed.

Thank you to all for your encouraging comments, links, suggestions and good wishes. It's a pleasure to be a member of SOS. A lot of time has been spent perusing the sites various submissions, posts, some great comments and tutorials. I so look forward to many enjoyable years at SOS learning and sharing with you all. Cheers

"And I guess one never ever forgets their first". - Kit was a Christmas present from the family and a complete surprise as I've only ever assembled 1/350 scale 'Regia Marina' plastic warships.
My efforts in this adventure turned out to be challenging to say the least due to total inexperience and lack of knowledge relating to sailing, sailing ships, rigging and other issues pertaining to assembling wooden kits. I was a total "Duh".
Members are free to chuckle, but please no laughing out loud or falling off chairs. Over the weeks I have viewed the magnificence of your work(s) trembled in admiration and gasped in awe at the builds, Knowledge and final works by members.
Anyway :_
My first mistake was not checking and double checking that the keel hadn't twisted or warped slightly since production laser cutting. Oh well it made little difference except to the trained eye.
Hallo @ConsNZ
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back