Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Thank you for the encouraging words friends. It's lonely business making frames and the 'likes' and posts are helping with the motivation to persevere.

As a diversion I have also been slowly working on the rabbet of the keel. It's not turning out as crisp as I imagined. I will show some pictures when I get closer to the end of that effort.

I need to figure out a way to work less and hobby more :rolleyes:.

Really not much to say...making frames...

View attachment 357543

View attachment 357544
Good morning Paul. Each one spot on. I think you POF guys are insane:p. The outcome must be rewarding, a sense of accomplishment, when those beautiful frames come together but how you keep it together on the journey is beyond me. Brilliant work Paul. Cheers Grant

Good morning Paul. Each one spot on. I think you POF guys are insane:p. The outcome must be rewarding, a sense of accomplishment, when those beautiful frames come together but how you keep it together on the journey is beyond me. Brilliant work Paul. Cheers Grant
I have certainly gained a new appreciation for our friends who are attempting POF builds. There is a LOT of background work necessary to build these frames. I have the advantage of starting from a kit (versus the greater challenge of scratch building these frames) - but there is still a lot of perseverance necessary. Everything has to fit 'just so' and that isn't as easy as it sounds. I actually think you would love (appreciate) a POF build. While you have mastered 'ricochet rabbit' you are not afraid of grinding on the details.

Hi Paul,
I've just been downstairs to look at my own model of Kingfisher (from LSS - the same as your kit)
The three joints highlighted by Christian are the same on my model, and occur where the frames behind gunports 2,3 and 4 have been 'shifted' forward to allow the frame extension to become the rear timber of the port. I don't know whether this is a mistake, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it - it doesn't stand out on the model! See picture below.
In regard to sanding the scarphs - don't.

View attachment 355714View attachment 355716
I thought I hadn't any pics of the area in question, but have just found this one - you can see the joints just behind gunports 2 and 3. (suggest blow the image up)

Ted
Stunning !

I have certainly gained a new appreciation for our friends who are attempting POF builds. There is a LOT of background work necessary to build these frames. I have the advantage of starting from a kit (versus the greater challenge of scratch building these frames) - but there is still a lot of perseverance necessary. Everything has to fit 'just so' and that isn't as easy as it sounds. I actually think you would love (appreciate) a POF build. While you have mastered 'ricochet rabbit' you are not afraid of grinding on the details.
Slightly over a year ago I found myself surrounded by a "mountain" of frame parts. I was very anxious on how this POF-build would turn out, not really trusting my capabilities to pull this one off. Now, looking back on the build of the skeleton of the Bluenose I have to conclude that, yes, it was a lot of work (and a lot of sawdust) and requires a lot of patience, a POF-build is doable, even for the less-experienced modeler.
When I start a next model, it will definitely be POF; building such model is immensely satisfying.
(Actually, I'm surprised @Heinrich didn't build his second WB as POF, maybe his third one?)

Slightly over a year ago I found myself surrounded by a "mountain" of frame parts. I was very anxious on how this POF-build would turn out, not really trusting my capabilities to pull this one off. Now, looking back on the build of the skeleton of the Bluenose I have to conclude that, yes, it was a lot of work (and a lot of sawdust) and requires a lot of patience, a POF-build is doable, even for the less-experienced modeler.
When I start a next model, it will definitely be POF; building such model is immensely satisfying.
(Actually, I'm surprised @Heinrich didn't build his second WB as POF, maybe his third one?)
Hi Johan. On a WB derivative the hull (in my opinion) needs to be fully planked. In my case, getting the hull shape correct was more important than how the hull was constructed. If there is a third ship (which will not be called WB, but Mercurius) it will also be a POB model, because of the same reason. It just makes no sense to me to build a POF model and then plank the hull fully.

Apologies for hijacking your log, Paul.

It just makes me no sense to me to build a POF model and then plank the hull fully.
Agreed Heinrich. My original plan was to plank half of the Kingfisher hull in order to show off her beautiful lines. But right now (in the middle of frame-making) that strikes me as sacrilegious. Perhaps time will temper that.

Agreed Heinrich. My original plan was to plank half of the Kingfisher hull in order to show off her beautiful lines. But right now (in the middle of frame-making) that strikes me as sacrilegious. Perhaps time will temper that.
Hi Paul. I do not have any problem with partially planking a POF hull at all. I agree with your initial idea - half planking such as the YQ Bluenose would make perfect sense as you get the best of both worlds. However, if I look at how stunningly beautiful those frames of yours are turning out, I can well understand the trepidation of even planking half the ship. Luckily you can make that call much later in the build by which time I am sure some established patterns and directions would be well entrenched in your train of thought.

Hi Paul. I do not have any problem with partially planking a POF hull at all. I agree with your initial idea - half planking such as the YQ Bluenose would make perfect sense as you get the best of both worlds. However, if I look at how stunningly beautiful those frames of yours are turning out, I can well understand the trepidation of even planking half the ship. Luckily you can make that call much later in the build by which time I am sure some established patterns and directions would be well entrenched in your train of thought.
You could do one better and ask for @Peter Voogt 's miracle saw?

Back