Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Another small update with this one representing much more work than the previous small update...

I mentioned that I was going to put together a few of the upper deck beams supplied with the kit to see if they would work for me. The LSS kit design cleverly uses a laminated system on the athwartship beams to create tabled mortise joints for the longitudinal carlings. I have seen this on several other builds here on the forum.

The downside of this approach is that the laminations are discernable on the upper surface of the beam which can be off-putting. But these boxwood versions passed my test, so I made up the full set of them:

IMG_0619.JPG

A discerning eye can detect the laminations - more so on some beams than on others. I suppose it would have been possible to color match the sheets of boxwood before the CNC milling operation but that would have likely added to the cost of an already expensive kit and still provided a less than perfect result (the joint between each slice of wood would always be visible). Anyway, I have decided to run with these.

By the way, this happens to be the first kit-supplied part I have used in seven months and 55 pages ROTF.

I might mention, also, that using the kit parts was NOT a time-saver. It took roughly the same amount of time to get the scratch built lower deck beams to this same stage of preparation. Some of this is my own fault as I wanted these upper deck beams to have the same level of finish as the rest of the model and that took some work.

I will say that the kit parts do build into a very nice piece:

IMG_0621.JPG

Next, I need to lay out the upper deck and fit these beams into place. And in the background I'm continuing to research the three sets of bitts found on this ship.

You are very kind to take the time to visit!

Another small update with this one representing much more work than the previous small update...

I mentioned that I was going to put together a few of the upper deck beams supplied with the kit to see if they would work for me. The LSS kit design cleverly uses a laminated system on the athwartship beams to create tabled mortise joints for the longitudinal carlings. I have seen this on several other builds here on the forum.

The downside of this approach is that the laminations are discernable on the upper surface of the beam which can be off-putting. But these boxwood versions passed my test, so I made up the full set of them:

View attachment 443008

A discerning eye can detect the laminations - more so on some beams than on others. I suppose it would have been possible to color match the sheets of boxwood before the CNC milling operation but that would have likely added to the cost of an already expensive kit and still provided a less than perfect result (the joint between each slice of wood would always be visible). Anyway, I have decided to run with these.

By the way, this happens to be the first kit-supplied part I have used in seven months and 55 pages ROTF.

I might mention, also, that using the kit parts was NOT a time-saver. It took roughly the same amount of time to get the scratch built lower deck beams to this same stage of preparation. Some of this is my own fault as I wanted these upper deck beams to have the same level of finish as the rest of the model and that took some work.

View attachment 443009

Next, I need to lay out the upper deck and fit these beams into place. And in the background I'm continuing to research the three sets of bitts found on this ship.

Wow Paul. Beautiful work even with the most mundane of parts.
Even your numbering lines up perfectly.
Can you please elaborate on how you achieved the camber in the beams?
Also how to get such perfect small square cuts in the wood?
Please don’t say sandpaper or I will definitely cry.
Michael

View attachment 443008

View attachment 443009

A nice set of deck beams, Paul. With a lot a straight square cutouts.
Regards, Peter

Good morning Paul - “another small update “ :rolleyes:;) . As for those beams- pretty much perfect. I need to get new glasses as I don’t see laminations- perhaps I should use my laptop when viewing work as good as yours….or maybe I do need new glassesROTF.
The photo of the single beam is beautiful. Love your work Paul. Cheers Grant
Yup. Looking at the images on your phone through muddy goggles while crossing a river on your bike won't expose all the shortcomings of my work ROTF.

Back