Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Everything is just sitting there loose so don't be concerned with fit and finish - that will come later.

Question: is it normal to spend an entire day making a single small bulkhead? Asking for a friend... :rolleyes:
Outstanding work Paul, but I guess it's now normal. Question is: did you enjoy making that element? If you wouldn't like it what's the point of doing it anway, but I think we all know the answer

Thanks for the supportive posts and all the likes, gentlemen!

I'm afraid my comment/question didn't translate very well. Asking for a friend is an American idiom - basically I was making fun of myself and not complaining about time spent. Indeed, the fun is in the making!
Never make fun of yourself, there are enough people who doing that already. :cool:

Construction of the magazine (gun powder and cartridges) and light room continued this week with the addition of some details...

The floor of this portion of the ship is a layered affair which means everything can't be seen at the same time. To that end I will be skipping the lead floor lining. But I will include some palleting supported by beams and a segmented carling (beam posts interrupt the carling):

IMG_0494.JPG

A closer look (note the perimeter rabbet):

IMG_0497.JPG

And now with the pallets (panels) in place. The addition of battens kept stuff off the floor:

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

Very fiddly work all around.

Next, I added a box around the mizzen mast (open on one side for viewing):

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

This brought me to the forward wall of the magazine and light room. First, some wall panels were glued up and shaped to fit the contours of the hull. The little hatch/doorway on the far left will lead to a bread room:

IMG_0512.JPG

The tiny window frames will eventually allow candlelight (?) into the light room. I had to wear stronger glasses for this part:

IMG_0514.JPG

Mica was used for the glass. Here is the light box under construction:

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

A support piece was added to the bottom of the light box (and never to be seen again once the wall panel is installed):

IMG_0529.JPG

And now (temporarily) in place:

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

I'm not sure if the light box is my best work on a model to date - but it's in the running...:). That thing is super tiny and delicate - almost impossible to work on.

Until next time...

Last edited:
Construction of the magazine (gun powder and cartridges) and light room continued this week with the addition of some details...

The floor of this portion of the ship is a layered affair which means everything can't be seen at the same time. To that end I will be skipping the lead floor lining. But I will include some palleting supported by beams and a segmented carling (beam posts interrupt the carling):

View attachment 432029

View attachment 432030

And now with the pallets (panels) in place. The addition of battens kept stuff off the floor:

View attachment 432031

View attachment 432032

View attachment 432033

View attachment 432034

This brought me to the forward wall of the magazine and light room. First, some wall panels were glued up and shaped to fit the contours of the hull. The little hatch/doorway on the far left will lead to a bread room:

View attachment 432035

The tiny window frames will eventually allow candlelight (?) into the light room. I had to wear stronger glasses for this part:

View attachment 432036

View attachment 432037

View attachment 432038

View attachment 432039

A support piece was added to the bottom of the light box (and never to be seen again once the wall panel is installed):

View attachment 432042

View attachment 432040

View attachment 432041

I can't really say if the light box is my best work on a model to date - but it's in the running...:). That thing is super tiny and delicate - almost impossible to work on.

Until next time...
As usual very nice work, Paul. This is the fun part, installing the inside and making the details. I loved your Light-Box, almost impossible, but you did it!
Regards, Peter

There are certain parts of your builds that I think I have a chance of emulating on an exquisite day when all the stars are aligned perfectly for me. But when it comes to that lightbox, it is so far beyond me, that I can only sit back, shake my head and gawk in disbelief! Thumbsup

As usual very nice work, Paul. This is the fun part, installing the inside and making the details. I loved your Light-Box, almost impossible, but you did it!
Regards, Peter
Thank you, Peter. There were times when I was thinking 'impossible' as well. But now that it's put together its rather sturdy.

Of course, it's quite often that I look at your work and see the impossible.

Superb joinery Paul. I love the use of mica for windows.
Thanks Daniel. Lots of fussing over that little project. And yes, the mica gives a very nice historic look.

That is absolutely stunning work. All I can say is "WOW".

Jan
Hi Jan. Many thanks. By the way, every time I see your new avatar I can't help but smile.

Now I feel really inadequate. I'm now glad that my lightbox is buried deeply inside the ship.
C'mon Don. I've seen your work and know you can do the same and more. And this light box will be buried as well :confused:.

So much fun to read and see your updates! :)

Dirk
Hello Dirk! I enjoy your build reports as well! What's next for you?

Paul, your talent is indescribable, it's simply magnificent, you are an inspiration.
Your light box is a masterpiece.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Christian
Hello Christian. Nice to meet you! Your post is very kind. If my work inspires, then I will count myself blessed.

Ditto to all before mentioned comments. The works of a master. And above all very inspiring.
Ah Herman, it is your work that inspires! I'm just playing at a hobby - you are building a SHIP!

There are certain parts of your builds that I think I have a chance of emulating on an exquisite day when all the stars are aligned perfectly for me. But when it comes to that lightbox, it is so far beyond me, that I can only sit back, shake my head and gawk in disbelief! Thumbsup
Too kind Heinrich. I honestly believe that many members of our forum could approach a similar result (and certainly you could). But I will confess that I am rarely satisfied with my work product; this time I experienced a real sense of accomplishment. That light box fought me all the way - and then, suddenly, it was done. And I smiled :).

View attachment 432029

View attachment 432030

View attachment 432031

View attachment 432032

View attachment 432033

View attachment 432034

View attachment 432035

View attachment 432036

View attachment 432037

View attachment 432038

View attachment 432039

View attachment 432042

View attachment 432040

View attachment 432041

I'm not sure if the light box is my best work on a model to date - but it's in the running...:). That thing is super tiny and delicate - almost impossible to work on.

Until next time...
Good morning Paul. Ditto on everyone’s comments. You have skills and they multiplying….Cheers Grant

Back