IJN AKAGI 1/350 by Hasegawa [COMPLETED BUILD]

While looking for a model to build that has great visual detail I came upon YouTube videos of the Akagi with a the under deck structure and thought maybe I could build this complicated photo etch. I ordered the model to study and when it arrived it left me with a OMG feeling.
IMG_1184.jpeg
Do I have enough room to build this monster? I presently have taken possession of the dining room until the basement finish is completed. I will then have a proper shop to build models. As I said in another post I have started building plastic while the shop is being fitted. When the shop is completed I can get back to finishing wood models the move forced into storage.
My plan is to build the Akagi with the Hasegawa photo etch as I have seen on YouTube. Let the search begin for the pe I have been able to find the basic A, B, C, and jackstays from several sources. The Super Detail kit has eluded me for months so I found a kit by SSModelKits that was described to have all the Hasegawa Akagi photo etch. I bought the SSModelKit and it does have all the Hasegawa pieces.
Unboxing the Akagi revealed just how big this model is and how much was included.
IMG_1170.jpeg
IMG_1182.jpeg

The instructions are as other Hasegawa kits I've built but the complexity leaves the instructions lacking.
IMG_1172.jpeg
I studied the the Hasegawa basic pe kits which seem straight forward
IMG_1181.jpeg
Now onto the SSModel pe. This kit is complete as described from what I can tell. The quality of the pe is very good. I laid pieces of SS SSon top of correct basic pieces and the quality is excellent. Now one major short coming with the SS kit is has no instructions. This problem was overcome with the help of NMBROOK who is building the Akagi. With furnished pdf of the super detail instructions I'll be able to corroborate the parts with instructions.IMG_1169.jpeg

The SS kit also includes 3d printed boats, aa guns, and brass barrels.

IMG_1178.jpeg
With all this I believe I should start with something simple. Drilling portholes.

Well we now know what your doing the rest of the summer and fall.

Looks like a fun build with all the details below flight deck.

US carriers are so plane looking below the deck compared to these ships.

This is a biiiggggg box - but at the end there will be a highly interesting model - so :cool:

Studying, studying, studying but where to start? I found a very informative YouTube video that has the build done in chapters. Chapter 2 describes building the hull so that's where I'll start.
First step is to assemble the sides of the hull. Removing the sides from the sprue was more difficult than I'd experienced with other kits. The nubs were large and when cut from sprue they left areas to be carefully sanded until smooth and flat. Once I had them off and prepared to join I really started noticing the "jackstays". They are everywhere. I took a zoomed picture showing some jackstays and marked in red.
IMG_1185.jpeg\\\
The Hasegawa pe has a package of just jackstays which leads me to this question. "Do I remove all the moulded jackstays and replace the with photo etch?" There is a very nice anti-static line that I'll leave.
Now on to assembling the hull and then once its secure I'll drill out the portholes.

Oh wow, what an undertaking! I will enjoy your building log.

Will, what a great way to spend indoors during those long winter months in Colorado! Look forward to following your progress. Magic Mike

I finished dry fitting the hull and all the extra pieces trapped between the hull sides. I followed the instructions and painted the areas indicated and now that I have the dry fit together I can see the reasoning. This will add a measure of care be taken taping off these feature before spraying the IJN grey.
Side view
IMG_1188.jpeg

Top view
IMG_1189.jpeg

This will be view from the side and while building it I thought it looked like a Barbie house.
IMG_1190.jpeg

Rear deck where a lot of the pe support beams are located
IMG_1191.jpeg

I'm not sure of this area. I has a lot of detail and several sub-assemblies making up the whole
IMG_1192.jpeg

Again so many jackstays and ladders moulded. Now to take it all apart and glue it together and start drilling portholes. While drilling portholes I'll study the basic A, B, C photos etch detail instructions. SO MUCH TO DO

drill the holes & clean the backside of the holes before gluing the hull halves back together. why drill the portholes when the real ship had glass in them, just paint them black without drilling.

Oh this is wonderful, a great challenge for you and I will certainly try to follow each step. Thumbsup - cheers.

Solid start WillThumbsupQuite why the Hasegawa super detail set does not replace the three inner lattice towers on the deck next to the 127mm guns I don't know.I had to buy the Eduard set for those

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel thanks so much for the Eduards heads up. I just ordered the Eduard pe and now have to wait for arrival. Not to worry though about a delay as I have plenty to do.

Another day of studying the PE to build and left wondering where to start. I drilled port side portholes and in doing so I realized that the Akagi had multiple sizes. Drilling wasn't difficult using the Tamiya pistol grip drill.
IMG_1193.jpeg
I really like this drill as it is battery operated and is slow speed with a trigger. Being pistol it allowed me to keep a perpendicular hole and able to place the bit in location before starting. Now on the the starboard side.

Forward deck and structures dry fit and portholes drilled. I need to study the PE making sure what goes on the forward deck structures. Getting the pieces together was enough of a problem but if there is going to be PE supporting framework is really going to be a challenge.

IMG_1196.jpegIMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1194.jpeg

Painting this ship is going to be a challenge with all the internal/under areas/features requiring the grey and brown decks. I hope to be able to mask off the internal areas and spray the balance. We will see.

Back