I got my Unicorn (ZHL) Ropewalk up and running: here's my first impressions plus video.

I got some of Gutermann's Mara 15 in this week so I went whole hog and tried out a 6 strand rope with it, running left hand. Results are...rope?View attachment 358277

I think it might have been better as a five strand, but oh well. I am going to try a three strand right hand rope next.
You need a core strand.
touwgeslagen.jpg

About the laying direction of rope I like to invite you to read the following :)

Everything about rope direction of lay

The Myth of left-handed hawser rope [in Ship Modelling]

cheers Dirk

So these chinese designed a machine to make rope with more then 3 strands without core? Then they don't understand the process of making rope or they forget to copy the machine correct. Even a 4 strand rope needs a core. Without, the strands will not lay nice next to eachother. Hope you succeed to find a way to add a core strand.

So these chinese designed a machine to make rope with more then 3 strands without core? Then they don't understand the process of making rope or they forget to copy the machine correct. Even a 4 strand rope needs a core. Without, the strands will not lay nice next to eachother. Hope you succeed to find a way to add a core strand.
Hello, just curious but what ropes require a core? Is it for the anchors?

Hello, just curious but what ropes require a core? Is it for the anchors?
See post #24 of Dirk or look here
The core is for rope with more strands then 3 to keep the shape round. Shroud laid got a core

Ah, okay, good, I thought you had replaced the existing clamps. In that case, yes, thrust bearings would help. I'm going to see if I can find a soda can to mutilate into a shim and see how that goes.
I am starting to think that maybe a gob or two of epoxy may just do the trick. I have to think about this a little more...

I am really thinking about replacing the shaft with something a little bit more well thought out. Bored through at least partially for a core, longer to fit through the other side of the main box. Maybe threaded on the left end for a to keep the bearing from moving.

I am really thinking about replacing the shaft with something a little bit more well thought out. Bored through at least partially for a core, longer to fit through the other side of the main box. Maybe threaded on the left end for a to keep the bearing from moving.
I wonder if you can buy something like that already made? I don't think I am going in that direction because I don't know if I will need a core strand for any of the projects that I will doing. Please correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking only anchor ropes use a core strand?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I am thinking only anchor ropes use a core strand?

You are wrong :) You will usually never need a four strand rope with core. No one will see the difference to a simple 3 strand hawser besides it was very very very very rarely used. And btw, why not just reading what I posted? It will answer all questions about rope ;-)

Dirk

Last edited:
This is why I am looking for Gutermann E-121 thread. Due to it's minimal twist you can use it to make right handed rope with this machine very easily.

I found a shop in Belgium that sells e121 thread (thread="garen" in Dutch). Maybe something of interest, but 10000 meter.. enough to last a lifetime of ship modeling.

You are wrong. You will usually never need a four strand rope with core. No one will see the difference to a simple 3 strand hawser besides it was very very very very rarely used. And btw, why not just reading what I posted? It will answer all questions about rope ;-)

Dirk
Oftentimes, there are so many messages that it is hard to figure out what is relevant to my questions. But thanks for the response.

Back