HMS Thorn. Scratch build Swan class following the books written by David Antscherl and Greg Herbert

The size of that horseshoe made me do a double take. You get so used to things being tiny that when you're presented with the real item it kind of jars you. I looked up the Janus on Wikipedia. They have a really nice Hi def drawing of her.

I have the plans and book written by Harold Hahn. I also have lots of plans yet to be purchased from the NMM in UK in preparation for when i start building the model of the Ulysses. She was the vessel which brought my ancestor to trinidad in 1797. He was a mercenary in the employ of the English navy. This is my next project. I will be building this one as Hahn did. This will be quite a big model as i am also building it to 1/4” scale, 40” long before bowsprit . The biggest problem will be finding a space to keep her. Any way that a few years away.

385A09D5-D422-4E01-80DB-8DFB9B44BE88.jpeg

6EC081A3-3A97-472B-A8AF-F3964EC209FC.jpeg

D468083C-90CE-40EB-9EFC-F485C18A2F93.jpeg

84ADCF1E-0CDF-4DA7-A26D-50068E16525A.jpeg

66A23ADC-87EB-4EA5-901A-02A987558D86.jpeg

F8F366AA-1403-4759-9F0D-FEEB273772A2.jpeg

I have difficulty understanding if the horseshoe and bow clamps are paired on either side of same site. Would need short or offset nails or bolts all the way through. Can anyone enlighten me?
According to Peter Goodwin, Each fish plate was fastened with copper clinch bolts, passing from one plate to the other. The number of bolts depends on the plate, generally between six and ten bolts were used. In some cases, an additional plate was used at the forefoot similar to that employed aft and was set inside the horseshoe plate. See the image below.
There were no words about horseshoe fastening, but I assume it was set in the same manner.

IMG_2473.jpeg

According to Peter Goodwin, Each fish plate was fastened with copper clinch bolts, passing from one plate to the other. The number of bolts depends on the plate, generally between six and ten bolts were used. In some cases, an additional plate was used at the forefoot similar to that employed aft and was set inside the horseshoe plate. See the image below.
There were no words about horseshoe fastening, but I assume it was set in the same manner.

View attachment 327222
Thanks. Appreciate your effort for our benefit

Another wonderful video.
may I suggest in addition :
clamp the draw plate overhanging the table.
grip with a piece of folded sand paper instead of the tongs- pull vertically down with more control and less breakages
find some bamboo tooth picks
I find that over time, 6 months plus, the very thin treenails seem to dry out and become brittle.

Kevink, Great tutorial videos. What would your solution be if you required your treenails to be darker than the light color of bamboo?

Back