HMS Prince 1670 1:48

In my humble opinion, the Prince is one of the most beautiful ships ever built! I look forward to your build log! ( I built the Airfix version, fully rigged as far as possible, & it sits on a shelf in my room. Though it's only plastic, it still is a beautiful model!)

Rick1011

Hello!
Placed the frames on the boards.
The size of the boards is 120x60 cm

View attachment 392224
Hi Anatoly. This is looking very nice and exactly what I am looking for my next model. In which program have you designed this?
I am working in Fushion 360 but still don’t know if I can get the wanted frames.
Regards, Peter

Привіт Анатолій. Це виглядає дуже красиво і саме те, що я шукаю для своєї наступної моделі. У якій програмі ви це розробили?
Я працюю в Fushion 360, але все ще не знаю, чи зможу отримати потрібні рами.
З повагою, Петро
Hello
I made a 3D model in Rhino. Arranged and drew in CorelDraw.

I believe the program is irrelevant to the build. I know people who build ships in Maya, Solidworks, 3dmax, Houdini.
The required functionality that I am looking for is that I can compile the profile of the 54 real ones from the drawn Station lines. In my line plan there are 12 drawn.
On the 1st photo of your drawn 3D model I see 15. From there you have generated your useful 29 frames.
I don't care what program I can use for that either. But it shouldn't cost a lot. I may use Fushion 360 for private purposes for free.
PS: Send you a PM, for not disturbing your log with details …… ;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
One question - Was there so much beams ? Often they had a bigger distance between them and filled with carlinsg etc. - in the moment it is looking like you have more or less at every frame a deck beam
But it seems to be correct, looking at this contemporary model

Anatoly are you sure the planks are parallel? I suspect they may be tapered so the outermost planks follow the profile of the hull.

Just as a side note, whilst we call this vessel HMS Prince now, at the time it was simply " Prince", the HMS prefix was not adopted until after 1670, not sure exactly when though?

Одне питання - балок було стільки? Часто вони мали більшу відстань між собою та були заповнені карлінзом тощо - на даний момент виглядає так, ніби у вас більш-менш на кожній рамі є балка палуби
Але начебто це правильно, дивлячись на цю сучасну модель
Hello. Thanks for the link to the photo of the model, I will study it.
I draw all the elements of the ship's hull based on the model from the museum. And I don't know how it was actually. :(
Anatoly are you sure the planks are parallel? I suspect they may be tapered so the outermost planks follow the profile of the hull.

Just as a side note, whilst we call this vessel HMS Prince now, at the time it was simply " Prince", the HMS prefix was not adopted until after 1670, not sure exactly when though?
I'm not sure if the deck boards are parallel, that's just my guess. As archaeological research shows, at that time any boards were used and not always of the same width and shape. I draw based on the rational use of wood, and aesthetics, where only the boards near the board narrowed. I don't know how it was at that time. If it will be more correct when all the boards are narrowed, I will draw. This is just a drawing, I haven't started making the decks yet. Thank you for your comments.
I will name the connection with Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Prince_(1670) :)
A variant of the layout of the deck boards:

012.jpg

013.jpg

Yes, this variant seems to me to be the most historically-adequate.
Так, цей варіант мені видається найбільш історично-адекватним.
Якщо пам'ятаєш, хтось Ігор Тараканов пояснював щось подібне для 17-го століття.

Yes, this variant seems to me to be the most historically-adequate.
Так, цей варіант мені видається найбільш історично-адекватним.
Якщо пам'ятаєш, хтось Ігор Тараканов пояснював щось подібне для 17-го століття.
I will stop at this option for construction. ;)

Поки автор позоляє, дозволю собі внести дрібний коментар з приводу цього фрагмента :
While the author still allows, let me make a small comment about this fragment:

015a.jpg

Наскільки мені відомо, насправді намагалися уникати таких дрібних фрагментів, що стирчать, бо вони легко розтріскувалися. І до того ж, всі дошки не повинні бути абсолютно однакової ширини.
As far as I know, in reality they tried to avoid such small protruding fragments because they cracked easily. And besides, all boards do not have to be exactly the
same width.
015b.jpg

Поки автор позоляє, дозволю собі внести дрібний коментар з приводу цього фрагмента :
While the author still allows, let me make a small comment about this fragment:

View attachment 393383

Наскільки мені відомо, насправді намагалися уникати таких дрібних фрагментів, що стирчать, бо вони легко розтріскувалися. І до того ж, всі дошки не повинні бути абсолютно однакової ширини.
As far as I know, in reality they tried to avoid such small protruding fragments because they cracked easily. And besides, all boards do not have to be exactly the
same width.
View attachment 393385
corrected ;)

I don't know, for me it's a very big mystery about the deck planks on English ships. I didn't find anywhere a firm proof, whether the planks were straight or tapered. I saw both options. I looked carefully through all the models in USNA (I have 2 books) and didn't see a good reference. Most of the museum models don't show deck planks. In different monographies that I have (Bellona, Blandford, Caroline, Pandora, Victory) also both options are shown, sometimes both options within the same monography, that is within the same ship. For example, look into the Victory McKay's book: on the same sheet, poopdeck has straight planks and quarterdeck - tapered. The theory books (Goodwin, Lavery) also don't give a precise description. So... for now I haven't found a trustworthy indication. On my ship I did tapered planks.
The only 2 things that are clear, are the margin strake (on all decks) and king plank (on quarterdeck/forecastle and higher).

Back