HMS GRANADO (1742) - midship section - POF by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

The next step was the final adjustments and fine-tuning of the mortar box beams on which later on the heavy mortar will be based

IMG-8807.jpg

IMG-8808.jpg

also the lower row of the deck clamps have to be prepared - with this also a check of the heights of the mortar bed beams is possible
the bolting was once more done with the help of the quare nails I used already for the riders and the thick stuff planks

IMG-8809.jpg

IMG-8810.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

The next task was the small part of the lower deck over the so called "coal hole" - a small storage area for coal, which is connected via a small hatch. Above is directly the room with galley and stove

So two beams have to be prepared with two carlings for the hatch - still dry fitted

IMG-8812.jpg

IMG-8813.jpg

for preparation of the wall I made some cardboard template

IMG-8814.jpg

and used some spare strips to build the wall segment

IMG-8815.jpg

IMG-8816.jpg

you can see, that I changed my opinion, where the wall will be based - I moved the wall on top of the rider - therefore the different form

IMG-8817.jpg

the wall is "fixed" with some wooden strips "nailed down" towards the rider

IMG-8818.jpg

the final result

IMG-8819.jpg

The next task was the small part of the lower deck over the so called "coal hole" - a small storage area for coal, which is connected via a small hatch. Above is directly the room with galley and stove

So two beams have to be prepared with two carlings for the hatch - still dry fitted

View attachment 283468

View attachment 283469

for preparation of the wall I made some cardboard template

View attachment 283470

and used some spare strips to build the wall segment

View attachment 283471

View attachment 283472

you can see, that I changed my opinion, where the wall will be based - I moved the wall on top of the rider - therefore the different form

View attachment 283473

the wall is "fixed" with some wooden strips "nailed down" towards the rider

View attachment 283474

the final result

View attachment 283475
Beautiful clean workmanship Uwe. I continue to be inspired.

Many Thanks for your kind words and all the likes received - much appreciated and motivating

After fixing the interior wall also the two smaller beams for the coal-hole were fixed - with the wall on top of the rider, there is no gap between the beam, rider and wall

IMG-8827.jpg

starting with the planking - I am also doing here only half of the section planked, the other side will be without to see the structure

IMG-8828.jpg

Good win is showing in his book a ladder down to the coal-hole, but I personally disagree here. The coal was used only or mainly for the stove. I am 100%, that the coal was only handled by a cook´s mate and not by the cook himself. They were young, sportive and also with more or less without any rights. In addition the room was named "hole" - so therefore I installed only a small opening in the deck and also no ladder, but a monkey ladder ...... a basket with coal could be easily lifted also with this way - no need for a ladder, which would also need much more space and would reduce the storage room for the coal.

IMG-8829.jpg

IMG-8873.jpg

IMG-8832.jpg

IMG-8833.jpg

IMG-8834.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued

Now we come to the base for the mortar

The base contens of two layers of timber
lower level with thicker dovetailed beams and the second one with normal deck planking, in the middle witha circular opening in which the mortar was able to rotate
both layers were framed by two stronger beams laying on top of the mortar cell

first an excerpt from the Anatomy book

IMG-8376.jpg

IMG-8298.jpg

IMG-8299.jpg

IMG-8302.jpg

IMG-8301.jpg

The first layer of this planking is mainly covered by the secondary planking, so only some bolts in the center (under the mortar) will be partly visible, but the secondary planking needs some treenailing around the opening in the center
done with the standard tooth-picks
also caulking was done only on the secondary planking and not on the base planking (here the wood had to take over the forces, so no caulking joints were possible - the timber would need a direct contact to each other

IMG-8848.jpg

IMG-8849.jpg

here the visible bolting (copper nails with 0,6mm) is visible

IMG-8850.jpg

and finaly fixed on top of the mortar cell

IMG-8851.jpg

IMG-8852.jpg

IMG-8853.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Ora veniamo alla base per il mortaio

La base è composta da due strati di legno
il livello inferiore con travi a coda di rondine di maggior spessore e secondo il con fasciame normale dell'impalcato, al centro con un'apertura circolare in cui la malta poteva ruotare
entrambi gli strati erano incorniciati da due travi più robuste posate sopra la cella di malta

prima un estratto dal libro di anatomia

[ALLEGARE=completo]284165[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284161[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284162[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284164[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284163[/ALLEGARE]

Il primo strato di questo fasciame è principalmente coperto dal fasciame secondario, quindi solo alcuni bulloni al centro (sotto la malta) saranno in parte visibili, ma il fasciame secondario necessita di una chiodatura intorno all'apertura al centro
fatto con gli stuzzicadenti standard
anche il calafataggio è stato fatto solo sul fasciame secondario e non sul fasciame di base (qui il legno doveva subentrare nelle forze, quindi non erano possibili giunti di calafataggio - il legno avrebbe bisogno di un contatto diretto tra loro

[ALLEGARE=completato]284166[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284167[/ALLEGARE]

qui è visibile la bullonatura a vista (chiodi di rame con 0,6mm).

[ALLEGARE=completo]284168[/ALLEGARE]

e infine fissato sopra la cella di malta

[ALLEGARE=completo]284169[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284170[/ALLEGARE]

[ALLEGARE=completo]284171[/ALLEGARE]

Molte grazie per il vostro interesse .... continua .....
Buona sera, allego una fonte reale del soggetto, fonte Web

Good evening, I am attaching a real source of the subject, Web source

obice.jpgobice1.jpg

Buona sera, allego una fonte reale del soggetto, fonte Web

Good evening, I am attaching a real source of the subject, Web source
Many Thanks for sharing with us these contemporary drawings.
They are showing a slightly different structure -
we have here a box (red) in which the mortar is "swimming" on top of crosswise layers of ropes / cables (blue)
obice12.jpg

We can see this type of mortar bed, also with fixed mortar by 45°, at the french La Salamandre.

Here I borrowed a photo from the building log of the amazing model made by @Koreets

20180819_134751-min.jpg

The next element to prepare and fix were the gun deck clamps on which the real deck beams have to be based and installed

Due to the fact, that these clamps were part of the heavy structure with bigger forces I decided once more to use the stronger square "bolts"

IMG-8449.jpg

IMG-8451.jpg

The correct location and height of the deck beams can be checked once more with the plexiglass templates inside the jig - here special slots are prepared

IMG-8845.jpg

IMG-8846.jpg

The beams are connected with the clamps via fish-tail notches

IMG-8865.jpg

IMG-8866.jpg

IMG-8869.jpg

IMG-8870.jpg

IMG-8871.jpg

The fishtail cuts have to be done by the modeler and are not prepared vis cnc - and you can see, that you do not see this detail - so it is really up to the modeler to make them or not - I made the notches and cuts, but they are not really necessary
A question of personal taste .....

some more progress on the mortar base

just to get an overview some excerpts of the Anatomy book - which I recommend for additional information to everybody building this section kit or even the complete hull model (see our group build)

IMG-8025.jpg IMG-8376.jpg

the small standing knees to stiffen the box were installed

IMG-8867.jpg

IMG-8868.jpg

and the front and end elements on the base planking - with these heavy panels and the knees the strong forces of the mortar were transfered to the beams and riders of the bomb-cell

IMG-8874.jpg

IMG-8875.jpg

the small element is laying under the beam and connect the beam with the planking

IMG-8876.jpg

the main panal from "outside"

IMG-8877.jpg

and also from the other side - due to the fact, that these boards are covering the beautiful base-planking of the mortar, I decided also to make here a cut-out in order to show the structure of the base

IMG-8878.jpg

IMG-8879.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my build .... to be continued

Oh yes, I am in synch with everyone's opinion about the quality job you making while building. The details you research and mention, could make your build log supplementary to the kit's user's manual and kit as a whole.
The questions I have today, are about the bolts head. Macro images sowed the head are extruded from the timbers, they are not drowned (if this is the correct word) all the way to the timber's top. I this just an illusion or do you leave them as-is for a purpose?

Oh yes, I am in synch with everyone's opinion about the quality job you making while building. The details you research and mention, could make your build log supplementary to the kit's user's manual and kit as a whole.
The questions I have today, are about the bolts head. Macro images sowed the head are extruded from the timbers, they are not drowned (if this is the correct word) all the way to the timber's top. I this just an illusion or do you leave them as-is for a purpose?
Hallo Jim,
many thanks for your interest in my model - yes they are some micrometer extruded and should represent the head of the bolt - so it is on purpose

Back