HMS Fly (Amati) 1:64 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

I purchased this book,’Rigging period ship models’ by Lennarth Peterson , a must for the serious modeller , easy explained drawings , must admit the Amati plans are good , however sometimes you need a more detailed explanation , also in hindsight I should have left the Mizen top mast , Main Top mast , fore top mast till all the shrouds are in place , however I still managed to tie the pairs of shrouds together .

View attachment 336195

View attachment 336196
To be accurate and following the rigging of ships from that era ‘Woolding”or bounded with rope around the main mast and foremast except the mizzen mast to strengthen the masts , the amount varies , the bowsprit in this instance no ‘Woolding’

Rigging , rigging , !! Just put her in the display case , what do you think ? Anyway like the other models I built I gave her some fresh air , it is a long way off from completion , just added a few more ratlines , just take it easy !

View attachment 337871

View attachment 337872

View attachment 337873

View attachment 337874
Good evening. I think marvellous. The display case is great. Going to be quite a spectacle in that display case once you are done. Cheers Grant

Received the Fly yesterday and at the moment looking at the plans and bits and pieces , this will be a lengthy project and looking forward to this project , it doesn’t come with a base and pedestals so will have to order them separately ASAP, also I follow my partner in crime Nomad (LOL) closely who is also building the Fly , and with his inspiration I like a similar deck layout .
Hallo @Robertd
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Late, very late, but regardless, I hope you had a terrific birthday with memories to look back upon.

First of all, my friend - my apologies for missing your birthday. I think I will probably forget my own these days! ROTF So, very happy and very belated Birthday wishes to you! Secondly, the Fly looks stunning. I am in total agreement with @GrantTyler Grant that she will look spectacular in his display case - in fact, she looks equally spectacular outside as well!

First of all, my friend - my apologies for missing your birthday. I think I will probably forget my own these days! ROTF So, very happy and very belated Birthday wishes to you! Secondly, the Fly looks stunning. I am in total agreement with @GrantTyler Grant that she will look spectacular in his display case - in fact, she looks equally spectacular outside as well!
Thank you Heinrich , more than 5 months in the making , still heaps to do , the rigging takes time and am in no rush , but we are getting there , the ‘Fly’ is a great project and put it this way any faults are nicely hidden :) behind the details and rigging

Thank you Heinrich , more than 5 months in the making , still heaps to do , the rigging takes time and am in no rush , but we are getting there , the ‘Fly’ is a great project and put it this way any faults are nicely hidden :) behind the details and rigging
Good morning Robert. The Fly rigging is similar to the Victory in some aspects and fun to do. It starts to get pretty crowed at the sheet pins and mast tops and as you move forward. Try and rig all the blocks to the mast and yards first and double check they are all there. I left off some blocks and getting these on in between all the lines is a mission I would have preferred to avoid. Cheers Grant

Good morning Robert. The Fly rigging is similar to the Victory in some aspects and fun to do. It starts to get pretty crowed at the sheet pins and mast tops and as you move forward. Try and rig all the blocks to the mast and yards first and double check they are all there. I left off some blocks and getting these on in between all the lines is a mission I would have preferred to avoid. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant , I am well aware of that , but thank you to remind me again , I will address the blocks etc once the ratlines are in place , take care

Back