HMS Fearless - Airfix 1/600

14/Oct/2023

Been a while ...

But I am back. Most of the construction and painting on the HMS Fearless is done, and the past week or so (on and off) I have spending time on doing some of the detail bits like the helicopters, landingcrafts and life boats. Tedious work but most enjoyable. What is next is giving her a gloss coat, adding weathering and the other bits and bobs such as the life boats.

Good to be back after some time spent on an old Airfix 54 mm figure.

Fearless 21.jpg

Ettienne, there is a HMS Fearless Facebook page with 1.3k members, I’m sure they would allow you to join if you explain the reason and access the photos. Also HMS Intrepid has a FB page.

16/Oct/2023

I have decided not to add the two helicopters. I have tried make the rotor blades thinner by sanding them down, but when fitted they still looked way to thick and heavy. So ... I am finishing the Fearless this week, and then wait until I have enough energy and motivation to make new rotor blades from plastic card. Until then the Wessex's wil be "out on operations". Or perhaps I may find some photo etched parts ...

Glad to hear you are persevering with the 'Fearless.
Thin plastic card should do the trick on the rotor blades.
Don't forget to run a thumbnail along one side, which will give a little sag to the blades.

Perseverence indeed ... Thanks for the advise on the rotor blades. Have tried it yesterday and it worked reasonanbly well. Botched the one blade a little bid, but will leave like it is. I suppose we are not looking at a perfect model ... Really appreciate your support, with info and emotionally... :) (the latter often neede I find when engaging in the construction of a ship model)

17/Oct/2023

I have started today with the application of some weathering to the old lady. Working in oils as I find it much more forgiving than acrylics. Also easier to go over it agian and blend it in more, should the weathering looks too heavy. The decals were also applied last evening and the Airfic decal went on a treat after a gloss with from a Tamiya rattle can.

Fearless 23.jpg

Now you're nearly there, think about 'presenting' your model.
The best way to do that would be to hide the background clutter with a sheet or some other means to isolate your new pride and joy.
Certainly looking like a ship now

23/Oct/2023

Well after working on an off on the HMS Fearless I can now call her done. It was an interesting three months. Started with the project during a harsh winter and now ending it during a beautiful spring. At times I felt that the kit was fighting me, but all in all a satisfactory build measured against my own goals. Did I enjoy the buitd - yes. Could you now add amother ship to your collectin? - yes.

There were mistakes as well, the aerials, added where I thought I can fix them on a 1/600 scale model and based on a diagram from Pugwash (Thanks mate), are over scaled. Also made a mistake in the placement of the rear deck decals, but hey they look ok.

What was my experience with this build? I have had help from a number of fellow modellers (but then this is how I come to know this site) on numerous occassions, had good e-interaction and ... made a friend. I will definitely do another of the ole' Airfix classics again, and will definitely continue to build ships.

Fearless 26.jpg

Fearless 24.jpg

Fearless 27.jpg

Fearless 28.jpg

Congrats on your completed model! Such a small scale is not for my eyes, and I always respect others who choose to build such small models. She looks very good and will be a nice addition to your collection.

I would like to thank you for the post-build summary, it is as important as the build log itself and will come in handy to other members.

Last, but not the least, be sure to submit your complete model images to our gallery of Completed Models (link below)

Enjoyed following this build, which has turned out well.

Often when under construction it's easy to get too focused on a component and get frustrated if it seems difficult.
Remember to regularly sit back and view the whole picture, which may help keep things in perspective.

When I'm attempting a model (especially at such a small scale), the first thing is the reference material; to get absorbed by it and have a clear impression in my mind of the subject.
That helps have a mental image of what has to be done.
Ultimately my model will become a 3D version of what's in my head, to the best of my ability and the limits of the resources I wish to utilise.

Once finished and on a shelf, you'll never get as close as you did when building the model.
Many of the errors that crept in will at that point visually magically disappear.
From a 'normal distance your model will not only be your own reward, but will have been a journey where lessons will have been learned.
An accomplishment, hopefully giving confidence to tackle a new project.

A hobby is a means to broaden ones horizon. If it's a kit or many kits in a stash, each is an embodiment of potential.

As is each and every step in life.

Congrats on your completed model! Such a small scale is not for my eyes, and I always respect others who choose to build such small models. She looks very good and will be a nice addition to your collection.

I would like to thank you for the post-build summary, it is as important as the build log itself and will come in handy to other members.

Last, but not the least, be sure to submit your complete model images to our gallery of Completed Models (link below)

Thank you for the kind words, Jimsky.

Back