HMS Fearless - Airfix 1/600

Good morning to all,

New week, new life new, things. It is time for a ship again (and in between some 28 mm figures). For my next project I have decided to do the HMS Fearless.

The plan is to unbox her this week (or at least to get her out of the stash), have a good look at the instructions and do some preliminary research. Would love to have a conversation about her with you Pugwash. Will try to attach a picture to jog the ole' foggy memories. Nice to be back on the forum again.

Fearless 1.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Ettienne.

Though I built the 'Fearless' kit way back when it was first introduced, I was quite young and it became part of the psychology when ALL the Airfix kits HAD to be built!
Can't imagine it cost more than two shillings and eleven pence...my weekly pocket money being Half a Crown. Good grief, that dates me!

That was a time when WW2 era events were 'yesterday' to adults around me who were full of inspiring tales (not always very accurate in retrospect).
So 'Hood' and her contemporaries had a familiarity about them.
'Fearless' was then a 'modern' ship and to be honest a mystery as she had no history, to me at least.

It would be prudent of me to suggest someone with more knowledge of the ship could offer the advice you will probably be looking for.

Have no doubt, I will be following your progress keenly. If I spot something I can contribute towards, I will be happy to do so.

Good luck and have fun.

Though I built the 'Fearless' kit way back when it was first introduced, I was quite young and it became part of the psychology when ALL the Airfix kits HAD to be built!
Can't imagine it cost more than two shillings and eleven pence...my weekly pocket money being Half a Crown. Good grief, that dates me!

That was a time when WW2 era events were 'yesterday' to adults around me who were full of inspiring tales (not always very accurate in retrospect).
'Fearless' was then a 'modern' ship and to be honest a mystery as she had no history, to me at least.

It would be prudent of me to suggest someone with more knowledge of the ship could offer the advice you will probably be looking for.

Have no doubt, I will be following your progress keenly. If I spot something I can contribute towards, I will be happy to do so.

Good luck and have fun.
Nice to hear from you Pugwash. I was interrupted by miniature men, so the lady is stil in the box, but I had a look at some information on the Fearlees. Actually the ship is

Good luck and have fun.
Good to hear from you. The lady was unboxed on 04/07/2023, but the process has been interrupted by wee-men of about 28 mm tall. Seems the Fearless is a ship of my time, in fact a year younger than me ... She had quite a career I gather, including being a star in a James Bond movie! And the took part in the Falklands war. A war we here in South Afrca followed quite closely.

Ah, the 'Falklands Crisis', as it was called here.

Not all of us here are too proud of that palaver.

More to do with Politics, a no-no here!

Did I hear 'here-here'?

Ah, the 'Falklands Crisis', as it was called here.

Not all of us here are too proud of that palaver.

More to do with Politics, a no-no here!

Did I hear 'here-here'?
;)...

I was actually surprised by the inclusion of quite a nice decal sheet - even a set of decals for the minute Westlands. Also saw on the instruction sheet "1968". I suppose that is the time of service that the kit presents?

1968 is probably when the kit was released.
That fits my memory of when I bought it.

10th July 2023

Work on the HMS Fearless has been delayed due to the involvement of a number of 28 mm Normans. Very busy bunch. When painting on them is done then hopefully we can proceed with the "Fearless".
such small Normans with a height of 2,8cm can hinder you from building a ship? ;)
If you like .... maybe you show us also such work in this area:

such small Normans with a height of 2,8cm can hinder you from building a ship? ;)
If you like .... maybe you show us also such work in this area:
Will do so, thanks for the invitation. They can really keep me busy, they are also mounted so, as things go, when one does a horse plus rider then it is two models that need paint and attention... :eek:

11/07/2023

It has started. I have unboxed the lady this evening. I was surprised to see that there are some decals included! Thank you Airfix.

My approach to this kit is to do some work on the helo's and the landing craft first.

At first look the parts look ok. Much less flash and blemishes than on the old Hood. But closer inspection may proof otherwise ... ;). Really looking forward to the buid. Kick-off date is hopefully this Saturday.

Not to date myself, the Fearless (if she still was around) is a year younger than me. Think her date of origin was 1963?

See you all soon.

HMSFearless 01.jpg

22/07/2023

I have started some construction on the HMS Fearless, specifically the rear hull well (that correct term).

I have also dry fitted the the hull halves and the main deck and was starring at some significant gaps. But we are pushing through. Airfix definitely makes you think on your feet ... Redface . to be fair those parts need a good clean-up and than I will do another dry fit session.

Fearless 3.jpg

Fearless 4.jpg

Fearless 2.jpg

Yo!
I suspect these parts are for the amphibious craft bay at the stern?
I imagine that area is flooded to float the craft out, much like an internal dry dock.
If that's true and these 'grill' panels are on the 'floor', then they would be part of the drainage system.
The grill's would probably be made of substantial steel, seeing much use. I suspect they would be painted using 'red lead', which is basically a brick colour.

Where on the ship would be this part?
This would help to clarify

Yo!
I suspect these parts are for the amphibious craft bay at the stern?
I imagine that area is flooded to float the craft out, much like an internal dry dock.
If that's true and these 'grill' panels are on the 'floor', then they would be part of the drainage system.
The grill's would probably be made of substantial steel, seeing much use. I suspect they would be painted using 'red lead', which is basically a brick colour.
Hi Pug and Uwk,

Those "vents" are found on the hull sides (port and starboard) of the lower part of the ship's stern. I saw that it is at times referred to as the "well deck"?, but yes Pug the amphibious bay, the "walls" there off. Looks as if the LC's could go in there.

Almost certain the grill's are for the 'dry dock' flooding/drainage system.
That 'well deck is often referred to as the 'flooding platform'.

It was a 2 ship class, the other being 'Intrepid'.

Back