HMS Druid P.O.F. - Unicorn Models by Donnie [COMPLETED BUILD]

WARNING: So my discouragement - I found a major problem - and that is that as you see in this first photo, the stairs that lead to the forecastle DO NOT meet to the Forecastle. I had a few choices to make, one was to just remove the Cannons on both sides and put the stairs where they belong. In other words, the cannons and stairs interfere greatly and can not occupy the same space.
Therefore, adding more woes and work, I decided to extend the forecastle deck on each side. The forecastle deck COULD NOT be extended all the way across as the fore-bitts would be covered up. So, this is strictly a patch, modification - not sure how to put it - but it DOES go against the plans.

Therefore here is the horror and my attempt to fix it to have the cannons and the stairs part of the build:

staiirs-correction-01.jpg

I then built a NEW FRAME that will hold the extension.

staiirs-correction-02.jpg

In order to make it look NOT like a major mistake, I had to rip out a few planks so that I could maintain a stagger of the deck.

staiirs-correction-03.jpg

And now this is where I am so far - when finished I have to do the other side of course. Then glue the cannon back in where I had removed it.

staiirs-correction-04.jpg

WARNING: So my discouragement - I found a major problem - and that is that as you see in this first photo, the stairs that lead to the forecastle DO NOT meet to the Forecastle. I had a few choices to make, one was to just remove the Cannons on both sides and put the stairs where they belong. In other words, the cannons and stairs interfere greatly and can not occupy the same space.
Therefore, adding more woes and work, I decided to extend the forecastle deck on each side. The forecastle deck COULD NOT be extended all the way across as the fore-bitts would be covered up. So, this is strictly a patch, modification - not sure how to put it - but it DOES go against the plans.

Therefore here is the horror and my attempt to fix it to have the cannons and the stairs part of the build:

View attachment 279845

View attachment 279846

In order to make it look NOT like a major mistake, I had to rip out a few planks so that I could maintain a stagger of the deck.

View attachment 279847

And now this is where I am so far - when finished I have to do the other side of course. Then glue the cannon back in where I had removed it.

View attachment 279848
Looks like you have a workable plan. The crew would need a way to service that cannon. Oh well!

View attachment 279845

View attachment 279846

View attachment 279847

View attachment 279848

Hi Donnie

After reading your posting, I went to check Harold Hahn DRUID images and plans. Also checked Wang DRUID log. Both have the stairs on that position. Of course without the cannon under it.

I know anything about ships, so I don't understand the position of a cannon there. But I think that , probably, Harold Hahn have done a deep research.

I am posting a Zoomed picture of one of the images of Harold Hahn DRUID, posted by Dave at SOS.

Screenshot_20220101-203602_Chrome.jpg

Nevertheless, your modification is working very well and looks fantastic.

Moreover, it would really be nice to understand if this is a mistake on Harold Hahn plans or if on these type of ships it was normal. And how useful would be to have a cannon opening when there is a fixed stair (or was it removable?)

Cheers
Daniel

Yes, I had thought about just leaving the cannon out, but I thought it looked to strange viewing the ship from an outside side view. Oh well, it is too late now. This is the result of one side being finished.

The first one shows the side-by-side comparison.

stairs04.jpg

stairs05.jpg

stairs06.jpg

Yes, I had thought about just leaving the cannon out, but I thought it looked to strange viewing the ship from an outside side view. Oh well, it is too late now. This is the result of one side being finished.

The first one shows the side-by-side comparison.

I agree it looks worse with a empty cannon port. Maybe with the door closed it wouldn’t look as bad? But I like your solution with the extensions. It’s the logical choice. ;)

Donnie,
I think you made it on the right way! This extended forecastle-deck (and sometimes with the poop-desk too) is quite usual and it just looks natural.
János

Hi!
Isn't this the case when the cannons were in the cabins, for example, and only during the fight did the bulkheads be demolished and the cannons pulled into the shooting positions?
It will take further research.

Radek

What doesn't work in the model doesn't work in reality and vice versa. . I don't think removing stairs in combat is a realistic possibility. Either it was a fake gunport or the designers had to find a practicable solution. And here we are at Donnie's solution....
Christian

What doesn't work in the model doesn't work in reality and vice versa. . I don't think removing stairs in combat is a realistic possibility. Either it was a fake gunport or the designers had to find a practicable solution. And here we are at Donnie's solution....
Christian

I agree with you.

But why someone like Harold Hahn, with his deep knowledge on the matter, will design the Druid plans with a non-working gun port. Could it be an addition created when the Brilliant was renamed to Druid and a specific number of guns was assigned to be added.

Thread 'DRUID by Harold Hahn' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/druid-by-harold-hahn.5623/

Posting #2 of above thread:

Screenshot_20220102-084258_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, on the model in the link I count 10 gunports on each side, inluding two for bow chasers (?).
For 16 guns as mentioned above.
Perhaps it was for reasons of symmetry (equal distance between each gunport), or to simulate a stronger armament?
Christian

Based on Harold Hahn notes, from historical reports, the Druid performed very bad on battle. He wrote that the reason could be that "originally it was a Merchand ship, not designed and equipped as a Battle ship".

Donnie posting pushed me to read Dave's posting with Harold Hahn’s notes to find an explanation. It's long and isn't easy to read in a phone (I am lazy to go to the computer :) ). Nevertheless, I have learned a lot from those notes. But yet couldn't find a precise answer for the stair/gun port location. :)

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
I am surprised to find this much interest in the gun port mystery. However, it seems to be many factors that ultimately found its way into this kit - unfortunately- some misguided factors - mostly deriving from Unicorn (in my opinion). I was told that this was basically Unicorns first kit. Coupled with the fact that they probably are lacking in Ship and Nautical Architecture. Many other blatant errors such as the Helm being in the wrong place, the Capstan completely being in the wrong place and I am sure that an expert would catch other gross things.
To others that have this kit and are experts, then I am sure the model will be made more accurate than mine. No, I am not whining at all. I am just aware of my nautical knowledge is sorely lacking.
I am near completion and I also will not be installing Dead Eyes.
The blocks that came w kit are actually very nice, but most are made wrong!!!
The rigging line is pure polyester or some cheap nylon stuff and is all black. They do supply a thinner line for all the running rigging - but - that line came on a large spool and of all things, the color is a bright shiny gold color. Main reasons I went with a navy board style with no mast and rigging.
I hate to assign a review but I would have to give this kit a 2 -1/2 stars (with 5 stars being of course the highest) I am very tempted to just give it Gold StarGold Star stars.
I will be taking some final pics either today or tomorrow as I have to find a suitable place besides my work area.
I certainly do appreciate all the nice compliments and likes and followers.

Kindly
Donald

Congratulations, Donnie! Despite all the flaws and obstacles in the kit, you have made a great job assembling\building your Druid! This is your first ever experience in POF which brings a totally different experience to our hobby and helped acquire a new set of skills. I am sure you will find the best place for her proudly display your achievement. Bottle

Congrats, my friend!!

Back