HMS Druid P.O.F. - Unicorn Models by Donnie [COMPLETED BUILD]

An accident !!!

I was wanting to get a book down from a make-shift bookshelf. I need to have some real bookends for this and I learned the hard way today.

So, I wanted to get this book to help me identify the Capstan parts. As I pulled the book out, some of the books collapsed and one of my most favorite modeling book flew off the shelf and hit my workbench that had all my Capstan parts laid out. Unfortunately, I had left a bottle of black paint with the lid of the paint just SITTING on the top instead of being screwed back on.
Needless to say - that black paint was the target of course, and the paint went air-borne and flew up in the air and flung black paint everywhere and landed with almost all of the black paint of the bottle all over the carpet !!!
Well, thank goodness, number one, the Admiral had not left to go to work yet, and number two, we have a carpet cleaning machine, and lastly, the Admiral came to the rescue and now there is no more paint on the carpet ALONG with some India Ink that was also on the carpet. What a mess.

My favorite book - ( Ha ) is basically ruined and have to buy another one. It was Wolfrum de Monfeld historical ship modeling.
Oh...NO...:(

An accident !!!

I was wanting to get a book down from a make-shift bookshelf. I need to have some real bookends for this and I learned the hard way today.

So, I wanted to get this book to help me identify the Capstan parts. As I pulled the book out, some of the books collapsed and one of my most favorite modeling book flew off the shelf and hit my workbench that had all my Capstan parts laid out. Unfortunately, I had left a bottle of black paint with the lid of the paint just SITTING on the top instead of being screwed back on.
Needless to say - that black paint was the target of course, and the paint went air-borne and flew up in the air and flung black paint everywhere and landed with almost all of the black paint of the bottle all over the carpet !!!
Well, thank goodness, number one, the Admiral had not left to go to work yet, and number two, we have a carpet cleaning machine, and lastly, the Admiral came to the rescue and now there is no more paint on the carpet ALONG with some India Ink that was also on the carpet. What a mess.

My favorite book - ( Ha ) is basically ruined and have to buy another one. It was Wolfrum de Monfeld historical ship modeling.
Damn, Donnie!

Well, I admit wholeheartedly that historical accuracy is usually missing about 100% in my builds. :rolleyes: I wish that were not so, and I am sure that I make many modelers CRINGE when they see what I am building. And to add to that, I am not even sure where to find the info to check on historical accuracies.:)
I don’t cringe I just wonder how on earth you manage to build these parts so perfectly in so much detail. Amazing for me.

Thank you Grant and others. I appreciate the compliments.

The Lathe is good to have just to hold the Capstan assembly while installing the other struts (don't know the name - sorry). As teh glue dries, I can then rotate to the next position and leave the hands free to work.

When those parts a glued, then that assembly with the beams and small subfloor will slide up to nearly touching the base of the Capstan drum.

capstan09.jpg

Hello Donnie, first of all, I am sorry for the confusion my picture has caused you. You see that the upper deck buildings on the picture are not fixed, that is, they are not in the final state. This is what he looks like now. I like to make various buildings and put them together to see if their size is reasonable and then determine the final state.IMG_20211114_140307.jpgRegarding the position of the steering wheel mentioned by Uwek, this problem is also a problem that I was confused from the beginning of production. According to the British drawings, the steering wheel should be behind the tail mast, but from the drawings of Master Hahn, the steering wheel is also on the mast. The front part..jpg-g.jpghnjpg.jpg

Regarding whether the steering wheel is obstructing the winch at the front of the mast, I measured it on the drawing.j4550g -g.jpg
The length of the winch rod should be the length of the blue arrow, and the length of the blue arrow is basically the same as the length of the red arrow, which means that it is also feasible if the steering wheel is in the front.This ship is modified from Tobacco ship: The "Brilliant". For The "Brilliant" I have not found his drawings, only a few pictures on the Internet and I know that there is a 1:8 wooden model in the National Museum of American History in Washington. I think Master Hahn should know more about this ship than I do. In the end, I decided to respect Master Hahn’s drawings and make this ship according to Master Hahn’s drawingsdeliveryService.jpg下载.png

Talk about the mistakes in the kit. The length of the steering wheel in the kit is wrong. It is too long. There is also the lack of a top deck beam in the kit, which is in the picture where I drew the blue and red arrows. The beam pointed to by the red arrow and the deck in front of the winch should be higher than the ship’s sides (the beam and the previous deck of the winch mentioned here should be added by the British during the transformation), and the kit The position of the anchor hole is wrong, it is too low.
Donnie said sorry again for the last time, saying so much in your post.

It is probably too late as I have already fixed the Wheel and location for the Capstan. Thank you Wang - that is ok - I do not have any complaints. I must carry on with my build as I have it. The Wheel might be pointing in the wrong direction, but after a considerable amount of study, I faced the Wheel in the direction as you all see it on my model.

The Capstan is completed now.

capstan10.jpg

capstan11.jpg

capstan12.jpg

Thank you Donnie for answering my question throught the posting !!! I have learned a few things !

Daniel

Hello Donnie, first of all, I am sorry for the confusion my picture has caused you. You see that the upper deck buildings on the picture are not fixed, that is, they are not in the final state. This is what he looks like now. I like to make various buildings and put them together to see if their size is reasonable and then determine the final state.View attachment 269417Regarding the position of the steering wheel mentioned by Uwek, this problem is also a problem that I was confused from the beginning of production. According to the British drawings, the steering wheel should be behind the tail mast, but from the drawings of Master Hahn, the steering wheel is also on the mast. The front part.View attachment 269418View attachment 269431

Regarding whether the steering wheel is obstructing the winch at the front of the mast, I measured it on the drawing.View attachment 269420
The length of the winch rod should be the length of the blue arrow, and the length of the blue arrow is basically the same as the length of the red arrow, which means that it is also feasible if the steering wheel is in the front.This ship is modified from Tobacco ship: The "Brilliant". For The "Brilliant" I have not found his drawings, only a few pictures on the Internet and I know that there is a 1:8 wooden model in the National Museum of American History in Washington. I think Master Hahn should know more about this ship than I do. In the end, I decided to respect Master Hahn’s drawings and make this ship according to Master Hahn’s drawingsView attachment 269429View attachment 269430

Talk about the mistakes in the kit. The length of the steering wheel in the kit is wrong. It is too long. There is also the lack of a top deck beam in the kit, which is in the picture where I drew the blue and red arrows. The beam pointed to by the red arrow and the deck in front of the winch should be higher than the ship’s sides (the beam and the previous deck of the winch mentioned here should be added by the British during the transformation), and the kit The position of the anchor hole is wrong, it is too low.
Donnie said sorry again for the last time, saying so much in your post.

Wang, nice research work and thank you for explaining those details

Daniel

Donnie,

Maybe on day I will venture into the stratosphere of trying to do the kind of work you are so good at. lol looking brilliant

Regards,

I appreciate the compliments, but I assure you that I am certainly not an expert - nor even consider myself advanced. There are plenty of modelers here on this forum that I admire and look over their shoulders quite frequently to gain my inspiration and some abilities.

Donald

Back