HMS Diana 1/48

Meticulous job. Well done so far! Rethink your decision not to rig her. She will be museum quality when you do!

Hi everyone
I’m a 59 years old model builder from Sweden.
Still hardworking four-shift industry for the last 35years.
I start my hobby in the late 80ths with a kit from a German company Steingrauber.
It was a French frigate called La flore in scale 1/70 I think?
Anyway in 1994 I was started my work on HMS Diana from drawings send from the NMM in Greenwich London,it was in blueprint and 1/48 scale the original drawing.
Now after many years I still working on her and come to the conclusion I just try to finish her hull without the rigging and mast.
Sending some photos of my work and hope someone working on this model can get some inspiration.
I’m really not professional only interested in this era of wooden warships,many faults and lot of learning and experience after all this years.

View attachment 429113

View attachment 429114

View attachment 429115

View attachment 429116

View attachment 429117

View attachment 429118

View attachment 429119

View attachment 429120

View attachment 429121
Welcome aboard and well done on a great build

Nothing small :) were will you display it + glass? Very proud when you’re working, keeping home etc and building a ship like this! Excellent.

Well, Henslow;
This looks more than "I'm really not professional only interested in this era of wooden warships..." This just looks great. So; we will be warned when you get or will become professional ..... !!!! Thank you for sharing this fantastic work, and I would like to see more of your outstanding work. My reaction is best displayed as in my Nolle picture.

Nothing small :) were will you display it + glass? Very proud when you’re working, keeping home etc and building a ship like this! Excellent.
Thanks of course I must make some sort of case for it.
We have very little space for a full rigged Diana so I thinking maybe only the hull? I’m not sure because it’s very impressive with the rigging

Beautiful workmanship. Did you put one wheel, or a double wheel on it ? Check a You Tube video "When the Steering Wheel Appeared" by Kroum Batchvarov.
My research also supports that Frigates and smaller ships had only ONE wheel.
Thanks for this info. I looked into that one v. two wheel. I certainly cannot challenge your research. I am currently building the HMS Triton (1781 Frigate) using Wm. Romero's Practicum. He uses 2 wheels yet looking at the .tif drawings from Greenwich it shows one wheel. Romero uses much of his work in this Practicum from his HMS Warrior 74 gun Practicum work. So my thought is he may have known but for expedience went with Warriors configuation.
On the other hand, the detailed model book of the 24 gun frigate Pandora (McKay & Coleman) shows it with 2 wheels. With that said, it's more likely the author's interpretation.
Walt, you made me aware of an important detail. When I go to museums now looking at models I'll be keely aware of this.
Bill

Back