HMS Diana 1/48

Hi everyone
I’m a 59 years old model builder from Sweden.
Still hardworking four-shift industry for the last 35years.
I start my hobby in the late 80ths with a kit from a German company Steingrauber.
It was a French frigate called La flore in scale 1/70 I think?
Anyway in 1994 I was started my work on HMS Diana from drawings send from the NMM in Greenwich London,it was in blueprint and 1/48 scale the original drawing.
Now after many years I still working on her and come to the conclusion I just try to finish her hull without the rigging and mast.
Sending some photos of my work and hope someone working on this model can get some inspiration.
I’m really not professional only interested in this era of wooden warships,many faults and lot of learning and experience after all this years.

DD3568B9-4845-45DB-937F-0FA2D0966913.jpeg

29951A23-B5F9-4317-8697-AB22DBC5D3AA.jpeg

F58ABA95-27F5-4BD1-8BE3-8EAAED7C3DF0.jpeg

62AA3EF5-36A0-4A21-9EE8-B182BBB5E828.jpeg

1F0DD5BA-27E2-4FE1-A940-987711A886D8.jpeg

E2E0740C-ED2D-4369-89C7-3C791100ED63.jpeg

516853F4-E5C1-4299-AEE1-173BEE3D2804.jpeg

BCDB7B34-A729-4A97-A51C-D9E77572BBA9.jpeg

EC86E7D8-33F7-405E-BB60-C06E574A0C0E.jpeg

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

If you did the stern carvings and decorations around the quarter galleries, they turned out magnificent!

Congratulations, also on finishing your first scratch build from Greenwich plans 5 years faster than I did!!

Hallo and also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
you are showing us very good work on your Diana. Very good, clean and accurate scratch work.
I guess it is the 1794 version, which is very good documented in the NMM with several contemporaray drawings

It would be great if you could start a building log of your work, you can easily start from the actual status and / or with some older photos from the earlier work.

BTW: Steingräber was also one of my favourite manufacturer in my youth - they had great ships in the program, like your La Flore ......

Hi everyone
I start my hobby in the late 80ths with a kit from a German company Steingrauber.
Anyway in 1994 I was started my work on HMS Diana from drawings send from the NMM in Greenwich London,it was in blueprint and 1/48 scale the original drawing.
Now after many years I still working on her and come to the conclusion I just try to finish her hull without the rigging and mast.
Sending some photos of my work and hope someone working on this model can get some inspiration.
I’m really not professional only interested in this era of wooden warships,many faults and lot of learning and experience after all this years.

View attachment 429113

View attachment 429114

View attachment 429115

View attachment 429116

View attachment 429117

View attachment 429118

View attachment 429119

View attachment 429120

View attachment 429121
Wow. This is a beautiful build.
I have a Caldercraft Diana waiting to be built.
I will watch your ongoing build with interest. Hoping you post many more photos.
Welcome to SOS.

Hallo and also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
you are showing us very good work on your Diana. Very good, clean and accurate scratch work.
I guess it is the 1794 version, which is very good documented in the NMM with several contemporaray drawings

It would be great if you could start a building log of your work, you can easily start from the actual status and / or with some older photos from the earlier work.

BTW: Steingräber was also one of my favourite manufacturer in my youth - they had great ships in the program, like your La Flore ......
Remember the drawings of La flore was a nightmare compared to the quality today

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos.

If you did the stern carvings and decorations around the quarter galleries, they turned out magnificent!

Congratulations, also on finishing your first scratch build from Greenwich plans 5 years faster than I did!!
Yes om happy with them,all the carvings is made in linden tree (lime tree) very soft easy for carving but splinter easily.
In fact the whole model is in linden wood accept the keel and stern.

my wife's name is Diana... when she saw the dimensions of your model she said to me.. "either me or your model.. in fact if you try to build it you'll go to sleep in the garage"...
If the workshop for modeling ships is in the garage -> why not :cool:
@Henslow : I am looking forward to see more of your work on the Diana (the ship model)

Outstanding Work. I envy your skill. If you send me an address I will send you a USB of similar work for a similar Frigate HMS Triton. Much of the hull work is complete but this USB can give you headrails, channels, etc.
Bill

Hi everyone

View attachment 429113

View attachment 429114

View attachment 429115

View attachment 429116

View attachment 429117

View attachment 429118

View attachment 429119

View attachment 429120

View attachment 429121
Welcome aboard, WOW that's a big ship and is magnificent.

Back