HMS Blandford 1:48 POF Modelship Dockyard [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello again. I said yesterday that I’d check that I’d done everything, you invariably miss something in the excitement of finishing. Yes I had forgotten the ships lanterns, I’d made up the lanterns earlier but not their mounts, I'd put them to one side, out of sight, out of mind so they never got done, here’s how they turned out.

I must show you how the base is turning out. I showed an old scrap piece of wood that I thought I might be able to reclaim but wasn’t overly hopeful, to my surprise after much planning and sanding it resulted in giving me a rather nice piece, I routed the edge and unexpectedly ended up with the makings of a very good mounting plinth. The piece having been brought back to life will now probably outlive me, a nice thought.

The original piece

479.jpg

The revival

487.jpg

Looks perfect

488.jpg

Ships lanterns

489.jpg

Hello. Again thanks for showing an interest in my build and for all your likes and welcome comments, you’ve all kept my enthusiasm going’

It’s Finished, well at least I think it is, I’ll leave it around for a bit to see if anything needs doing, it really needs a good clean as it’s gathered quite a bit of dust during the build. It needs a nice display base to show it off, luckily I found a large very tired old piece of oak in a skip which I think will do nicely, it needs a lot of work to revive but it looks promising. When it’s all presentable I’ll do my usual final photo shoot and give my thoughts on the kit. I realize that it has only taken four months to make, I think that I need to slow down a little.

View attachment 422412

View attachment 422413

View attachment 422414

View attachment 422415

View attachment 422417

View attachment 422418

The proposed base, a little sanding required

View attachment 422419
Good afternoon Ken. Just wonderful. A worthy model of the HMS Blandford no doubt! Cheers Grant

Very well done Ken on completing this kit and in such a short time too!! It looks great and will be a very nice addition to all the other beautiful kits in your collection. So . . . What's next or is it too early to decide? l'm dying to know. Have you got the POF bug or will it be a fully rigged POB kit

Hello again. I said yesterday that I’d check that I’d done everything, you invariably miss something in the excitement of finishing. Yes I had forgotten the ships lanterns, I’d made up the lanterns earlier but not their mounts, I'd put them to one side, out of sight, out of mind so they never got done, here’s how they turned out.

I must show you how the base is turning out. I showed an old scrap piece of wood that I thought I might be able to reclaim but wasn’t overly hopeful, to my surprise after much planning and sanding it resulted in giving me a rather nice piece, I routed the edge and unexpectedly ended up with the makings of a very good mounting plinth. The piece having been brought back to life will now probably outlive me, a nice thought.

The original piece

View attachment 422827

The revival

View attachment 422828

Looks perfect

View attachment 422829

Ships lanterns

View attachment 422830
A really good result. A very nice model Ken

Really nice model, Ken.

Goodwin shows in his AotS a drawing of a mortar, but I could not remember that he shows a position? Blandford was a frigate and the framing was not strong enough to fire a mortoar. Have a look at the construction of Granado or other mortars.

Really nice model, Ken.

Goodwin shows in his AotS a drawing of a mortar, but I could not remember that he shows a position? Blandford was a frigate and the framing was not strong enough to fire a mortoar. Have a look at the construction of Granado or other mortars.
Hi, Thanks for your observation, I did mention this in my log but I liked the extra detail on the deck so it stays. At the start of the build I emphasised that I was not looking to build an accurate replica just make a nice looking model and have fun along the way, I think that I’ve achieved both. Ken

Good morning. I would like to show you how successful the stand turned out, seeing as I’ve never tried to make one like this before and it was made completely from scrap wood I’m rather pleased. The model is secured by three steel rods passing through the keel, it’s very secure and the hull supports are only there for show, it looked odd without them. It’s quite a big model, the base is 32” but without the spars it’s easy to find a corner for it. I’ve shown it against HMS Fly for comparison. I’ve still to do a proper final shoot but for that I’ll need to wait for a decent day.

I can now let my finger nails recover. Am I alone in this, since I started the build my nails have been permanently chipped, broken and worn down with sanding and forcing parts out of their billet, but what is a little adversity for such a result.

I’ve cleared my bench and put away most of my tools and am now ready to start my Sopwith Camel. My wife bought me this kit for Xmas, on asking for a shortlist of what she could get me it was with the proviso that there would be no dust involved, I think that she might be satisfied, if only for a few months.

490.jpg

491.jpg

492.jpg

493.jpg

Good morning. I would like to show you how successful the stand turned out, seeing as I’ve never tried to make one like this before and it was made completely from scrap wood I’m rather pleased. The model is secured by three steel rods passing through the keel, it’s very secure and the hull supports are only there for show, it looked odd without them. It’s quite a big model, the base is 32” but without the spars it’s easy to find a corner for it. I’ve shown it against HMS Fly for comparison. I’ve still to do a proper final shoot but for that I’ll need to wait for a decent day.

I can now let my finger nails recover. Am I alone in this, since I started the build my nails have been permanently chipped, broken and worn down with sanding and forcing parts out of their billet, but what is a little adversity for such a result.

I’ve cleared my bench and put away most of my tools and am now ready to start my Sopwith Camel. My wife bought me this kit for Xmas, on asking for a shortlist of what she could get me it was with the proviso that there would be no dust involved, I think that she might be satisfied, if only for a few months.

View attachment 423072

View attachment 423073

View attachment 423074

View attachment 423075
Good afternoon Ken. Wow a unique and great looking stand. How quickly you produce such fine work amazes me. Cheers Grant

View attachment 423072

View attachment 423073

View attachment 423074

View attachment 423075
A very nice stand, Ken. She is standing proudly on the slipway.
Regards, Peter

Also from my side CONGRATULATIONS for finishing this great model
You did once more a very good job on this model
Please do not reduce the speed of modeling - with this we have a lot to see

Hello and welcome to everyone who has been following my build of HMS Blandford by Modelship Dockyard and thank you for your encouragement along the way. This will be my final post on this enjoyable and successful build. It was completed fairly quickly, not because it was easy with little to do but because it became like a drug, I had to have my daily fix and always felt that I wanted to move noticeably forward each day, resulting in long hours at the bench, fortunately being winter there wasn’t the motivation to do much else.

This was my first POF build, I haven’t anything to compare it with so take this into consideration.

This kit was well thought out, the pear wood was all excellent quality, the parts were mostly cleanly cut and very accurate and it all went together well. I don’t think that it was the most accurate version of an actual ship and some purists wouldn’t be satisfied but it did make up mostly out of the box a very nice display model and one that most would be proud of. I would recommend it to most modellers with experience, but not for beginners.

As with many kits this was not perfect so for a balanced verdict I’ll give my dislikes.

First, this I believe is an issue with all POF builds, DUST, and more dust. The amount of sanding and cleaning up of char I found was unpleasant, like many I build in my house not having a dedicated workshop, this caused friction with my wife, but once the bulk of this sanding was done relations improved and the build became fun.

Secondly and most important was the lack of clear instructions and very little in the way of plans/illustrations, relying mostly on computer created images with no measurements or detail, often you had to guess exactly where parts went, if even a couple of cm. out it could have a knock on effect. There was quite an issue with the quarter deck, with no plans or drawing you couldn’t see the problem and plan ahead to avoid, it was only after completing that section that it could be seen to be wrong and then had to be corrected.

I also disliked the sheets with laser engraved decking, it's quick to fit but looks tacky, unrealistic and completely at odds with the rest of the planking, give me plain planks and let me do them myself, it wouldn’t cost any more.

The photo etch was pretty much useless, I think it was supplied as this is now expected, I would have preferred just lettering for the transom, that would have been nice.

These are just my personal thoughts and shouldn’t detract from what is a good kit. I would add that any issue that I had regarding the build was answered usually within hours by Modelship Dockyard, they do care about there product, they are fairly new to the market and are looking to improve on what are good kits to start with, I would definitely buy another of their kits without reservation.

You may like to follow my next build, a Sopwith Camel, an interlude from ship modelling.

Now just the final photos, a lot I’m afraid but I couldn’t decide which to show so I just put them all in, enjoy.

504.jpg

505.jpg

506.jpg

507.jpg

508.jpg

510.jpg

511.jpg

512.jpg

513.jpg

514.jpg

515.jpg

516.jpg