GOLDEN HINDE by Canoe21 { Lawrence } Harold A Underhill Plans, Scale 1:60

zoly99sask said:
Hi Lawrence ,I can see you are really enjoying this build,deck planking looking great and those Led lights are going to be a nice addition to your build.

Hello Zoltan

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the little ship the Golden Hinde. For your very kind words and nice comments. Yes, this little build is rather enjoyable and also very challenging at the same time. Somehow I lost my pattern on the deck planking, and this AM had to remove the outer 6 rows of planking to correct my little boo-boo. Making one's pictures so large on the PC sure does show up any little faults in the OLD Ship Yard. I did order me one of those contours gauges that should be here in a week or so, right after our vacation on the French River, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Canoe21 said:
Hi Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been looking over the Stern Gallery Aft windows and door. We did try to correct them a couple of times but they just would not come up to the mark. So yesterday we decided to remove them all togeather and rebuild them all togeather. They seem to fit in much better now,                                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

You did an excellent job with the stern gallery aft windows and door. I am following your build with huge interest.

Regards,
Mustafa

Hi Lawrence

I see that the build is going ahead nicely. The deck planking is looking great. The little fellas are not putting in for overtime yet are they.

Cheers
Geoff

mtbediz1 said:
Canoe21 said:
Hi Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been looking over the Stern Gallery Aft windows and door. We did try to correct them a couple of times but they just would not come up to the mark. So yesterday we decided to remove them all togeather and rebuild them all togeather. They seem to fit in much better now,                                                ENJOY.

Regards   Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

You did an excellent job with the stern gallery aft windows and door. I am following your build with huge interest.

Regards,
Mustafa

Hello Mustafa

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. For your very kind words and nice comments. I am pleased that you are enjoying my build on the Golden Hinde. It is always nice to be able to pass along a few of my ideas and hope that they will help my Ship Mates in their own builds, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Aussie048 said:
Hi Lawrence

Isee that the build ig oing ahead nicely. The deck planking is looking great. The little fellas are not putting in for overtime yet are they.

Cheers
Geoff

Helo Geoff

I do thank you very much for your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and nice comments. Yes, the little fellows did protest a little when I had to redo the outer 5 or 6 planks but now they are pleased with the results, well worth the little extra effort. We have been working on a ships wheel that we want to install even though the Golden Hinde did not have a Wheel. This is very tiny, only .798" or 20 mm from spoke to spoke so as you can amigo this is quite a challenge for the little fellows and also me. May try to make a post, later on, today if all goes well, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the tiny ship the Golden Hinde. For your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have done a change in pace. We have drawn up and built a Ships Wheel for our ship the Golden Hinde even though the real ship did not have one, for some unexplainable reason we wanted on for our little ship. So we went and built this wheel, the real Golden Hind was steered by sort of a tiller stick CALLED A WHIPSHAFT as I have shown in my last two pictures. The reason for the very seemingly jump ahead is that we wanted to be sure that this wheel wound fits onto the Ploop Deck and now we can start laying out our plans for the rest of the detail for this Ploop Deck. This Ships Wheel is quite tiny as it is only .798" or 20 mm from spoke to spoke, the Ring, and center, and the wheel stand are Cherry wood, the 8 spokes and the drum are Walnut Wood. I got the sizes and general layout from my HMS Bounty Book by John McKay, that seems to fit in very well with our ship the Golden Hinde, ENJOY.
Regards LawrenceWebp.net-compress-image (18).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (7).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (12).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (15).jpgWebp.net-compress-image 21.jpgWebp.net-compress-image 22.jpgWebp.net-compress-image 23.jpgWebp.net-compress-image (21).jpgWebp.net-compress-image (22).jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates

Once again I thank you all for all of your visits to my build log. For your very kind words and very nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and gave built and installed the Main deck at the foot of the Ploop Deck stairs. We have built and installed the Ploop Deck with both nails and also some glue. We have built the Aft Main Deck Bulkheads along with its two doors and also installed another Led Light that will be behind the two Main Deck Doors. Now we must plank the Bulkhead and the Ploop Deck. We also cut the hole for the Ploop Deck Grating and the Grating and Stairs just to see how they would fit, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrenceimg_4510.jpgimg_4511.jpgimg_4512.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the tiny ship the Golden Hinde. For your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little guys and I have installed the Bulkhead on the Lawer Deck and the Ploop Deck. This we have Ship Lapped and the Ploop Deck we Planked with Cherry Wood and added another Led Light in back of the two doors. We did try a couple of night shots but with the sides wide open we did not get the results that we were after. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrenceimg_4513.jpgimg_4514.jpgimg_4515.jpgimg_4516.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I are having a rather bad day. After we posted the picture # 4513 that shows the huge amount of deck curvature we went back and rechecked our plans. As we had used the curvature from our line drawings, a very bad mistake. We then went and checked the cross-section curvature and was horrified to find that it should be .060" or 1.5 mm and not the .234" or 5.96 mm like we had. Always thought that the Golden Hinde did have a bit too much but it really showed up after we added those doors to the Lower Ploop Deck.

So after throwing a few ideas around we sent the Golden Hinde back to the repair section of the OLD Ship Yard and remove both the Main Deck along with the Ploop Deck and all of the other details back to her Keel and Hull Frames. Now we must build these up and start to redo our little Boo-Boo, such is the joys of model ship building, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrenceimg_4513.jpgimg_4517.jpgimg_4518.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Lawrance,your pace is amazing,you might finish earlier than me with the Santa Maria,good job!!

zoly99sask said:
Hi Lawrance,your pace is amazing,you might finish earlier than me with the Santa Maria,good job!!

Hello Zoltan

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. For your very kind words and very nice comments. Had a bit of a setback, silly old me I read my build plans wrong and even the little guys did not catch it. Had to tear of the lower deck and correct the deck curvature, cut out a new piece of plywood for the deck and re-plank it with those huge timbers that are a mere 2 mm wide. I will be closing down the Old Ship Yard for a week as I am taking my Admiral for a one-week birthday vacation at a Lodge on the French River around 3 hours driving time from home here in Sutton, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence

Have a good break with your Admiral and we will be looking forward to seeing progress on the Golden Hinde when you get back.

Cheers
Geoff

Aussie048 said:
Lawrence

Have a good break with your Admiral and we will be looking forward to seeing progress on the Golden Hinde when you get back.

Cheers
Geoff

Hello Geoff

I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. For your very kind words and very nice comments and wishes. Will try to make another little update on our rebuild before we do leave on Saturday. Got a lot of packing and preparations to get done before then, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

G'day Lawrence, Wow I like your Golden Hinde, got lights and all, I will have to go back through your build and catch up, enjoy, hows your mate Jerry I never seem to see him around the MSW anymore, hope he is OK, if you hear from him tell I've been asking after him, take care and all the best to you and your good wife,

best regards John.

neptune said:
G'day Lawrence, Wow I like your Golden Hinde, got lights and all, I will have to go back through your build and catch up, enjoy, hows your mate Jerry I never seem to see him around the MSW anymore, hope he is OK, if you hear from him tell I've been asking after him, take care and all the best to you and your good wife,

best regards John.

Hello John

Welcome to my new build log on the Golden Hinde. I thank you for your kind words and very nice comments.I am always pleased to have an Old Ship Mate on board. I was just thinking about you and was about to drop you a like or two. We had a bit of a setback but seem to have it well under control now or at least we do hope so. I did get my HMS Bounty display case built, thanks to you and your great ideas I think it turned out very nice and we do get a lot of compliments on its design and also its construction, for this, I thank you very much.

Jerry in Florida and his Admiral Charlene are in the midst of selling their home in Naples and since Charlene has just retired they are moving to South Carolina in the foothills of the Mountains, on a large lake, Jerry wants a pontoon boat to go fishing. He is building the Nina but failed to post a build log. Such a shame but that is his wishes, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

neptune said:
Hi Lawrence its good to hear you are all OK,

best regards John.

Hello John

Thanks again for your best wishes. Yes, we are just fine up here in Cold Country Canada. My Admiral and I wish you all the best and that you both keep in good health.

Time is running out for the Old Ship Yard as we will be off on Saturday AM. Will try to make a little post a bit later on and will give the little fellows a week off to enjoy and rest up for our return, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Golden Hinde. For your very kind words and very nice comments along with your friendly advice.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have completely build a new deck and planked it again with those huge 2 mm timbers, we also simulated the Tree Nailings. We cut a new Ploop Deck frame with the corrected curative to it and selvages the Ploop Deck, decking and planking. The Bulkhead to the Ploop Deck is a total loss and must be rebuilt and reinstalled. But this will not happen for a little over a week as my Admiral and I are off to the Byers Lodge on the French Riner for a week of R and R and also to help celebrate her birthday, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence img_4519.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates

Well, our mini vacation has come to an end this afternoon, My Admiral and I and along with our little dog arrived back home in Sutton early this afternoon. We had a very nice relaxing time with lots of R & R, the only draw back is we caught no fish.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows are well rested and we have installed the Bulkhead to the Ploop Deck along with two new doors and we have also ship lapped this bulkhead. We are much more pleased with the way that the new rework is looking compared to the old one. We have even tried a couple of pictures with the Led Lights lit up behind the two Ploop Deck Doors and are rather pleased with its new look, Enjoy.

Regards Lawrence img_4592.jpgimg_4593.jpgimg_4594.jpgimg_4595.jpg

Last edited:
Back