Glory of the Seas 1869 clipper, scratch 1/96 by rwiederrich [COMPLETED BUILD]

I still have loads to do on the fore mast. shrouds, stays, backstays and belaying hundreds of lines.
There is so much detail you just cant see in these images.......

Rob

Hello Rob,

I have enjoyed following your work. You have done an amazing amount of work and research to get to where you are.

Bill

Hello Rob,

I have enjoyed following your work. You have done an amazing amount of work and research to get to where you are.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I would have never thought after 14 years and a first attempt using a modified Revell Cutty Sark hull. That I would have the pleasure of meeting the famous author of 2 wonderful books on the subject(Michael Mjelde)....visiting and harvesting relics from her wreck site and corroborating with other Glory of the Seas enthusiasts.....to finally assisting in drawing new plans and building one of the most accurate models of Glory of the Seas to date.

It has....frankly...been a true adventure.

Thank you for your fine comments and compliments.

Rob

Hello Rob,

Your story is truly a great adventure. I have always felt that the research is as rewarding and as important as the actual work. There is something about immersing oneself into research that is rewarding and very satisfying in itself.

I am somewhat familiar with Carl Evers works. They are truly masterpieces. I have never seen this painting of the Glory of The Seas. Your Glory has striking similarities. Very nice. I am familiar with the Carl Evers painting "Young America gaining on the Glory of the Sea".

Bill

I have been troubled by the original matingale being just over 2 scale feet longer then it aught to be.....so I took the task of removing it and reducing it. I rerigged the chain head gear and now she is to scale..... Here are some comparison before and after images. Top is the original...before correction and bottom is after the correction.

Second correction I had to do. Glad I did too.

1663332690903.png

1663332786568.png

Hi Rob,

Your correction looks great.

Bill
It’s only 2 scale ft. But that is a mile actually. Rebalancing the chain stays was the hardest thing of the entire redo. Redoing errors now will prevent years of regret.

Thanks for the fine remark.

Rob

Back