Galilee Boat kit from Scott Miller [COMPLETED BUILD]

Adding partial frames now. It turns out that the leftover hull planks are slightly thicker than the partial frames supplied. I’ll use up the partial frame material first and then use the ones I’m ripping from the hull planks. That way things will be relatively the same thickness rather than up and down every other one. image.jpg

Adding partial frames now. It turns out that the leftover hull planks are slightly thicker than the partial frames supplied. I’ll use up the partial frame material first and then use the ones I’m ripping from the hull planks. That way things will be relatively the same thickness rather than up and down every other one. View attachment 334048
Good morning Vic. It is a pity the colour difference between the mahogany and sapelle is so evident- it would have been too noticeable mixing the wood type. Running out of resources is always my pet hate. Looking good so far tho. Are the left over planks thinner than the partial frames supplied? Cheers Grant

Good morning Vic. It is a pity the colour difference between the mahogany and sapelle is so evident- it would have been too noticeable mixing the wood type. Running out of resources is always my pet hate. Looking good so far tho. Are the left over planks thinner than the partial frames supplied? Cheers Grant
They are thicker.

Good evening Vic. Ahhh… some sanding then and you may hardly even notice the variances. These things we do to make extra work for ourselves :oops:. Cheers Grant
I just decided to place the thicker ones aft. I was able to place the thinner ones over 2/3 of the boat. If I don’t intersperse them, you shouldn’t be able to note much difference. I also spaced the frames farther apart toward the rear. Trying to conserve wood. The instructions for the 26” boat says to space the frames 3/16” apart. The instructions for the 16” boat say 1/4”. It doesn’t make sense to space them farther apart for the smaller boat. The instructions probably should have said 5/16 instead of 3/16. Also, the stringers are said to be 5/16 down from the gunwales on both boats. I think on the bigger boat my math says it should be more like 1”. So I think I’ll set it there. I’ll use the sapelle for stringers. The original boat had a mixture of oak, fir, cedar, and terebinth or whatever scraps they could find. image.jpg

I just decided to place the thicker ones aft. I was able to place the thinner ones over 2/3 of the boat. If I don’t intersperse them, you shouldn’t be able to note much difference. I also spaced the frames farther apart toward the rear. Trying to conserve wood. The instructions for the 26” boat says to space the frames 3/16” apart. The instructions for the 16” boat say 1/4”. It doesn’t make sense to space them farther apart for the smaller boat. The instructions probably should have said 5/16 instead of 3/16. Also, the stringers are said to be 5/16 down from the gunwales on both boats. I think on the bigger boat my math says it should be more like 1”. So I think I’ll set it there. I’ll use the sapelle for stringers. The original boat had a mixture of oak, fir, cedar, and terebinth or whatever scraps they could find. View attachment 334343
You sorted that out Vic. The sappelle stringer looks good. I like the darker contrast - personal taste. Cheers Grant

I just decided to place the thicker ones aft. I was able to place the thinner ones over 2/3 of the boat. If I don’t intersperse them, you shouldn’t be able to note much difference. I also spaced the frames farther apart toward the rear. Trying to conserve wood. The instructions for the 26” boat says to space the frames 3/16” apart. The instructions for the 16” boat say 1/4”. It doesn’t make sense to space them farther apart for the smaller boat. The instructions probably should have said 5/16 instead of 3/16. Also, the stringers are said to be 5/16 down from the gunwales on both boats. I think on the bigger boat my math says it should be more like 1”. So I think I’ll set it there. I’ll use the sapelle for stringers. The original boat had a mixture of oak, fir, cedar, and terebinth or whatever scraps they could find. View attachment 334343
The size difference certainly fades into the background. Nice recovery.

Are you planning to do a mast step?
Good question. Scott Miller’s mast step was just a flat piece of wood that needs to be sanded to fit the curve of the bottom of the hull. However, I think I like the look of the way you did it. I’m thinking of squaring the bottom of the mast and inserting into a square well. I think it would be stronger that way in the real world. And it would be easy to insert and square away. Did you find anything in your research on how they did it back then?

My goodness, that shellac coating looks fantastic.
Keep up the great work.
Thanks. I looked at several different options. I almost didn’t go with the Zinsser amber shellac. I read some horror stories on how tricky shellac is. One guy suggested thinning it with denatured alcohol, even though the directions on the can say not to. I did it anyway and like the results. It dries much faster thinned out.

Last edited:
Back