Galilee Boat kit from Scott Miller [COMPLETED BUILD]

I came across a video of a lecture by one of the guys who recovered the Galilee Boat. It gave a good explanation of how it was built. Click on:
boat
But I have decided not to go the mortise and tenon route. Couldn't you imagine doing it at this scale?

Last edited:
Strakes are twisting every which way. Having to bevel both edges of strakes. Then, gaps appear between the strakes because I can only get vertical pressure from the clamps, so I use wedges to apply horizontal pressure. I have to use wedges on both sides because the thin strip in the middle would break. Slow progress. One strake a day. B4649FE6-920E-4AF8-8865-E3BDEE9DCA97.jpeg

Was having a serious problem with making the planks meet on the top (actual bottom) of the boat. There was a huge gap. I tried shims without success. The hull is too rounded to use clamps. So I used one clamp to hold the plank down vertically and pinned a scab piece of wood to the side to give a clamp something to hold on to to provide horizontal pressure. That closed the gap. If somebody has a better way, I’m open to suggestions.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Was having a serious problem with making the planks meet on the top (actual bottom) of the boat. There was a huge gap. I tried shims without success. The hull is too rounded to use clamps. So I used one clamp to hold the plank down vertically and pinned a scab piece of wood to the side to give a clamp something to hold on to to provide horizontal pressure. That closed the gap. If somebody has a better way, I’m open to suggestions.
View attachment 329584View attachment 329585View attachment 329586
Good morning Vic. This looks like it is working for you. Is it possible to shape the plank more prior to fitting? Bend it up with a fixed pattern off the boat and heat it then leave it until the shape stays? It may be difficult as it looks like it has to bend up, round for bow and also looks like it has a small twist as well. Cheers Grant

The Earlex is a great generator. I use it with a couple different steam boxes as I also make fly fishing hand nets that require bending. Choosing good, straight grained, bendable woods really helps.

View attachment 329847
Makes sense. I did notice the grain going diagonally on that one strake. I’ll have to see if I can find about 8 more straight ones.

Back