Flying Dutchman, Occre, 1:50

This is very sudden, Rob. I respect your decision, but your two builds will be missed. The Flying Dutchman in particular is unique as you are the first person to build this kit on SOS.

Hey all. I'm going to try something different. I'll try working on the Half Moon for 1-2 weeks. I'll try to start on the Half Moon next week. Then switching over and working on the Flying Dutchman for 1-2 weeks. I haven't been able to work on the ships much lately. I want to get these two finished and start on ship I'm looking forward to build.

Why don't you sell it ? i can understand a built that is not interesting or fun to make. But maybe you can make another person very happy with this model.
It's a shame to trow it away or put it somewhere and it never gets finished in my opinion.

I am sorry to everyone. I apologize for waffling so badly on this ship. At times l love it. At times I hate it. I'm once again considering working on this ship. I really don't like starting something and not finishing. This is not something I usually do. The kit and hull are still sitting in the corner.

I guess the real reason I'm reconsidering is I received an email from Bob Hunt - Lauck Street Shipyard that he is finishing a practicum of Occre's Flying Dutchman. Looks like it may be available on his website in a couple weeks (it's not there yet.). I may buy the practicum and give the ship another chance (and learn from Bob too!.)

Again, apologies to all who have watched this board. I'll come back after I buy Bob's practicum and update what I'm doing.

Rob is correct. I've completed the hull construction of the Occre Flying Dutchman kit and am in the process of writing a practicum for it. I added complete lighting both below the deck as well as in the stern transom and stern lights. I did encounter a some issues in the kit which I fixed but I'm not all happy with the chainplates which were done according to Occre's instructions.

I will eventually be doing the masting and rigging of the model and when I do, I'll replace the chainplates with more historically correct ones. I'll also be writing a separate practicum on the masting and rigging.

The new practicum on building this kit has not yet been priced or put up on my website. I sent a mass email to my subscribers and site members but only 3 replied that they would purchase the practicum. Now I have a dilemma. Do I finish it when it may not sell enough copies to make it worth the extra time to write it or do I abandon the project altogether. If anyone in this forum is interested in purchase the practicum once it becomes available, please send me a private message and let me know.

On another practicum plan, I am now building the Woody Joe kit, Charles Yacht (https://zootoyz.jp/contents/en-us/p1131_Woody_JOE_Charles_Yacht_Wooden_Sailing_Ship_Model.html ) shown here. This is a high quality POB kit with beautiful castings and other quality fittings. It should be available in late May or early June.

Thanks,

Bob Hunt

IMG_3902.jpeg

Hello group,

Just wanted to let you know that my Flying Dutchman practicum is now available to order on my website. I will be shipping orders on Thursday, May 3, 2023. Here's another photo of the model with the lighting in the side galleries turned on which includes the two external lanterns.

Take care,

Bob HuntIMG_3882.jpeg

I am sorry to everyone. I apologize for waffling so badly on this ship. At times l love it. At times I hate it. I'm once again considering working on this ship. I really don't like starting something and not finishing. This is not something I usually do. The kit and hull are still sitting in the corner.

I guess the real reason I'm reconsidering is I received an email from Bob Hunt - Lauck Street Shipyard that he is finishing a practicum of Occre's Flying Dutchman. Looks like it may be available on his website in a couple weeks (it's not there yet.). I may buy the practicum and give the ship another chance (and learn from Bob too!.)

Again, apologies to all who have watched this board. I'll come back after I buy Bob's practicum and update what I'm doing.
Good morning. That will be awesome to see you continue this ship. I know the feeling as with my Xebec I’m experiencing the same love hate relationship. The more I “massage” those hate aspects the more she starts getting into shape though. Cheers Grant

An update...
As I pretty much destroyed the hull/framing of my build, I've decided to "Restart this build". I am trying to improve my skills and make my time spent working on ships much more enjoyable with less mistakes. This is what I hope to do sometime later next week.

I've purchased Bob Hunt's new flying dutchman practicum, which will be here next week.
And I purchased a new flying dutchman kit from ModelExpo. The kit will be arriving today.

Thank you to everyone for their patience.

Last edited:
An update...
As I pretty much destroyed the hull/framing of my build, I've decided to "Restart this build". I am trying to improve my skills and make my time spent working on ships much more enjoyable with less mistakes. This is what I hope to do sometime later next week.

I've purchased Bob Hunt's new flying dutchman practicum, which will be here next week.
And I purchased a new flying dutchman kit from ModelExpo when they had a 1/2 off sale on the last day of April. The kit will be arriving today.

Thank you to everyone for their patience.
This is an interesting turn of events Rob. I have to say that I understand the feeling - there have been times in my current build when I have thought, "I should just start over." Best of luck on the next attempt. I'm sure the practicum will be a great help.

Thank you Doc.
On my current project I am using instructions written by Bob. Not exactly a practicum but not far from one either. He does assume a certain amount of model ship-building knowledge - but I think you have that. He does a great job describing his approach to difficult steps and prompts you to look out for certain things that will be important later in the build.

Back