Flying Dutchman, Occre, 1:50

Thanks Gibby_74. I'll forgo the rabbet.

EDIT: You are right Gibby_74. I checked the instructions. The keel is glued on later. Now I wondering if it would make sense to cut the rabbet into the false keel and keel then glue them together then plank the hull. I'll check the instructions further as this may not be necessary. I just wanted to practice making a rabbet.

Last edited:
Thanks Gibby_74. I'll forgo the rabbet.

EDIT: You are right Gibby_74. I checked the instructions. The keel is glued on later. Now I wondering if it would make sense to cut the rabbet into the false keel and keel then glue them together then plank the hull. Any reason I shouldn't try this??
On the ones that I have done the planks help make a channel for the keel to fit into where as the need for a rabbit isnt needed.

The picture is of the TERROR I had done you can see that the planks and the rubbing Strake sandwich the keel. And what I would do is drill out holes down the keel to accept a toothpick wooden nails to keep it in place as the glue dries.

20210326_191329.jpg

20210408_155717.jpg

On the ones that I have done the planks help make a channel for the keel to fit into where as the need for a rabbit isnt needed.
The picture is of the TERROR I had done you can see that the planks and the rubbing Strake sandwich the keel. And what I would do is drill out holes down the keel to accept a toothpick wooden nails to keep it in place as the glue dries.
Thanks gibby_74. I see what you mean. I can't tell if the flying dutchman is the same, but likely is.

I plan on changing the bow. It's not even planked. It's covered with pieces of wood and mostly sanded into shape, then painted black. Doesn't look too good in my opinion. I plan on planking the bow. This is the reason I was thinking using the rabbet.

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.54.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-10-21 at 10.55.31 PM.png

You can see the individual pieces of wood that forms the bow.
Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 11.18.38 PM.png

H

Thanks gibby_74. I see what you mean. I can't tell if the flying dutchman is the same, but likely is.

I plan on changing the bow. It's not even planked. It's covered with pieces of wood and mostly sanded into shape, then painted black. Doesn't look too good in my opinion. I plan on planking the bow. This is the reason I was thinking using the rabbet.

View attachment 335839View attachment 335840

View attachment 335841
Hmmm that is very strang of them to not have you put a second layer of planking over that section at the bow.

The terror was the same way at the bow but it called for the second layer of planking to cover it up.

View attachment 335841
Wow I just looked through the pdf of the plans. And it doesn't have a second layer of planks and I see why because i guess the painting of the whole ship. Crazy thing is you can see occre version and then the ZHL version and they are very very different.

There isn't a second layer of planking. Guess the hundreds of nail heads are just blended in when the hull is painted black. There's nothing in the plans about covering them.

I'll glue the planks in and not use nails.
Well youd be able to use the nails just after the glue is dried for a couple days pull them out. And since you are painting you can putty over the nail heads.

Like the gorch fock I'm doing right now I nailed all the planks and then pulled them out since I knew I was painting the hull.

Does this make any sense? Part of keel is walnut and part is fiberboard. As I don't intend to paint the hull solid black, will cut the keel/bow fiberboard pieces from walnut (or possibly the entire keel from some other wood). And will cut the rabbet in the keel/false keel pieces so there is something to attach the bow planking to. Per the kit instructions wood pieces are glued to bow and sanded to shape, so there isn't anywhere to attach the bow planking at the very front of the ship.

Now that I think about it... walnut is used for the keel piece as a long, thin piece of fiberboard would break.

IMG_2536.JPG

Last edited:
I bent one 2x5mm hull plank to make sure I could bend them before cutting the rabbet. Wasn't sure if I could bend a 2mm plank without breaking. Looks like it will be okay. Kit lists the hull planks as lime wood. My lime wood stock (bought when living in UK) seems to be much harder.

The 0.6x5mm decking is listed as sycamore. I don't care for the grain of this wood. Will probably cut my own decking.

IMG_2538.JPG

All bulkheads are glued in.
IMG_2560.JPG

First thing I noticed I did wrong! I shouldn't have cut the rabbet on the keel as the bulkheads only leave 2mm of keel showing. AND the bulkheads have a flat bottom. So, no rabbet was needed here. It's only needed at the bow and stern deadwood area. Now there's a 45 degree angle where the garboard strake touches the keel. I'll find a way to fix it. Just a nuisance. I just can't seem to think that far ahead!!

IMG_2561.JPG

The lower decking goes in next. Plans call for the 5 or 6 decking pieces to be planked before installing. This will leave some nasty cracks then installed. I'm planning on gluing in the decking pieces, then adding the decking planks.
IMG_2554.JPG

The plans also show the two B2 decking pieces up against bulkhead #2. You can see from my photos that they don't reach #2. I glued in a couple small pieces to support the B2 pieces.
IMG_2559.JPGIMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2558.JPG

View attachment 335841
Its time for putty and filler before final sanding to fill the gaps and then you can carve plank lines in of so desired.

The 5 pieces of lower decking fit within the bulkheads fine. That's always good! Again, I don't want to plank each decking piece (as the instructions state) then glue in due to these joints which will show. I'll glue in and then plank.
IMG_2563.JPG

Just like at the bow, the stern decking pieces don't reach the last bulkhead. I'll glue in supports for these pieces as well.
IMG_2562.JPG

This is the kit supplied decking strips. There are WAY more pieces with stripes or color variations than there are clear pieces. I'll cut some of my own.
IMG_2565.JPG

This is the kit supplied decking strips. There are WAY more pieces with stripes or color variations than there are clear pieces. I'll cut some of my own.
Not only the colour is problematic, but also the wrong direction of the grain.
Theoretically deck planking you can make them, but f.e. hull planking with such material will be a nightmare.
I fully understand your decision to change the material

Back