Finished

This is my last three-masted ship model. Troubles with my eyes and hands force me to stop.
It was a real struggle this last year. I built four models for museum Kaap Skil in the isle of Texel. It needed a small fluit for the Northern waters, a pinas for the Mediterranean, an East Indiaman for Asia and a big fluit for the Atlantic trade. All four models were produced or finished during the past year.
View attachment 293729 View attachment 293731 View attachment 293730 View attachment 293732
For this last model i used the same design as for an earlier fluit, but in this case the ship was supplied with a beak head. I also wanted some action in the rigging so I took my inspiration from this Van de Velde painting, the ship de Liefde, shortly before the Four days Battle (1666) in which it was destroyed. I love to catch some wind in my sails.
View attachment 293733 View attachment 293734 View attachment 293735 View attachment 293736 View attachment 293737 View attachment 293738
View attachment 293739 View attachment 293740 View attachment 293741 View attachment 293742 View attachment 293743 View attachment 293744
The name of the ship was symbolically depicted on the taffrail and was inspired by a genuine 17th century Dutch fluit stern, stored somewhere in a Danish church or museum (perhaps one of you knows where?). It is 'Abraham's Offering', like so many ship's names referring to the biblical tale.
View attachment 293747 View attachment 293745
Thanks for all the likes over the past few years, maybe we see (work from) each other again in future, goodbye for now.
Ab
Hallo Ab,
I feel so sorry for the delay

Belayed I would like to send you all the BEST and a belayed HAPPY BIRTHDAY (30th July)
and especially the 75th

"Hoch soll er leben!"

Birthday-Cake

No worries Uwe, 'better late than never' is a Dutch saying. Don't apologize, it's just a drop in the ocean.
And yes Paul, thank you, we had a wonderful diner with our children and grandchildren in a nice restaurant on a small island in the Alkmaar Lake.
And yes, 75 is a milestone, especially because a fortuneteller on the Groningen fair told me long ago that I would be 74. Perhaps she needed reading glasses :).

Congratulations with your birthday Maarten. You are a Leo, like me. Proud kind of people (if you are dumb enough to believe that stuff).
Indeed, I never left my house during the last few weeks and stayed away from stairs and other potential accident causes. Could not reach my studio, so work is down to nil. Perhaps I will catch up now....

Congratulations with your birthday Maarten. You are a Leo, like me. Proud kind of people (if you are dumb enough to believe that stuff).
Indeed, I never left my house during the last few weeks and stayed away from stairs and other potential accident causes. Could not reach my studio, so work is down to nil. Perhaps I will catch up now....
The 74 are gone, so you can restart completely.
Also a belayed Happy Birthday to @Maarten , did not know it ......
I am also a lion, today is my birthday - we are very special, and sometimes good modelers ;)

HI AB I AM IN A MUSEUM, WHEEL CHAIR BOUND, JUST MOVED IN TO A ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY, GUESS WHAT STILL MODELING JUST CHANGED SUBJECTS I HAVE BEEN MEANING TO ASK THIS QUESTION BEFORE BUT WILL NOW THERE ARE SO MANY SMALLER DUTCH VESSELS I CAN FIND VERY LITTLE INFORMATION ON THEM WOULD LOVE TO DO A MODEL OF ONE SIMPLE ONE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HI AB I AM IN A MUSEUM, WHEEL CHAIR BOUND, JUST MOVED IN TO A ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY, GUESS WHAT STILL MODELING JUST CHANGED SUBJECTS I HAVE BEEN MEANING TO ASK THIS QUESTION BEFORE BUT WILL NOW THERE ARE SO MANY SMALLER DUTCH VESSELS I CAN FIND VERY LITTLE INFORMATION ON THEM WOULD LOVE TO DO A MODEL OF ONE SIMPLE ONE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
Hello Don, sorry to read that your health forced you to move to assisted living.
What's fortunate is that you're still able to enjoy modeling. As for your question, is this what you are looking for: http://woodenmodelships.com/dutch-botter-sailboat-model.shtml?

HI I CONSIDER MYSELF VERY BLESSED, TO HAVE CHILDREN LIKE I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF AND TRY TO MAKE A QUALITY OF LIFE SITUATION ALL PARENTS SHOULD THIS BLESSED. THEY ALL UNDERSTAND THE IMPORTANCE TO ME OF MODEL SHIP BUILDING MENTALLY IT IS WHAT KEEPS ME GOING. YES THE BOTTER IS ONE AND I SAW SOMEPLACE I THINK IT WAS CALLED A GALLIOTT NOT SURE THE DUTCH HAVE SUCH INTERESTING SHIPS. I NOW DO X SECTIONS SMALLER BUT DIFFERENT AND MODELS NO MORE GRANDOS FULL HULL, ALERTS ETC TIME AND SKILL FACTORS AND THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM BEING DELOPED MINERVA STATE OF THE ART, HAYLING HOY, PAVELLS LINE JOHN SMITHS SHALLOP MORE TO COME. ALL OF THE GOOD THINGS I AM BLESSED WITH DUE TO JESUES CHRIST MY LORD AND SAVIOUR. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

YEA TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME, AND ENJOY, I TRY TO KEEP BUSY NOT ONE TO MAKE FRIENDS EASLIY, BUT WILL MAKE SOME HERE I WILL POST HERE HOW MY SET UP IS, AND SO MANY FRIENDS ON SOS GREAT PEOPLE IN THIS HOBBY BOTH ON FORUMS AND OFF. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

These days I seem to be "mosterd na de maal" in all posts. A very happy birthday Ab - may you have a blessed year ahead full of health. Thank you for everything that you have done for Dutch naval history and for your book and plans on the Willem Barentsz - they are my building Bibles.

@
These days I seem to be "mosterd na de maal" in all posts. A very happy birthday Ab - may you have a blessed year ahead full of health. Thank you for everything that you have done for Dutch naval history and for your book and plans on the Willem Barentsz - they are my building Bibles.

Only good intentions count Heinrich. Thanx!

Back