Finished

Thank you all for your enthousiasm. Compared with with the threemasters this was just a simple job.
Meriadoc Brandybuck: I have a good friend who was involved in building Duyken in Australia and in the build of a parahu in Indonesia. He supplied me with the drawings and all I needed. His name is Nick Burningham. Here are my sources:
Jong lines.jpg Jong reconstruction.jpeg
The total length of this vessel is less than 18 metres. the scale is as usual 1/77.

I finished my second Asian vessel. This is a Javanese jung, a trader from the 16th century up to now. The double steering is interesting: When the ship heels over the lee rudder is used, the other simply follows the current of the water. A small ship like this is what I can handle with my eyes and clumsy fingers. As a coincidence the picture from Witsen's book I showed in my latest post shows both of my Asian models.
Now I have to re-rig the junk. Pity, I liked the looks.

View attachment 315984 View attachment 315985 View attachment 315986
Just like @Maarten, I also missed this post. It is absolutely beautiful, and how the frieze was conceived is neither here nor there. It is the end result that counts and that is spectacular. Thumbsup

Haha, the small weaving was a breeze. I just robbed the gardener from some 'anti roots fabric' (worteldoek in Dutch). All it needed was some glue, some primer and some paint. Sorry if I disappointed you...
Haha Ab love it. Modelling is not only about skills but even so about creativity and also luck.
The result is very convincing never thought worteldoek would end up like this.

Last edited:
I finished my second Asian vessel. This is a Javanese jung, a trader from the 16th century up to now. The double steering is interesting: When the ship heels over the lee rudder is used, the other simply follows the current of the water. A small ship like this is what I can handle with my eyes and clumsy fingers. As a coincidence the picture from Witsen's book I showed in my latest post shows both of my Asian models.
Now I have to re-rig the junk. Pity, I liked the looks.

View attachment 315984 View attachment 315985 View attachment 315986
Nicely done!

Thank you Magic Mike.
What amazes me is that people still react even if the postings are from so far back that they do not appear in the What's new section. How do you locate these 'old' postings?

Thank you Magic Mike.
What amazes me is that people still react even if the postings are from so far back that they do not appear in the What's new section. How do you locate these 'old' postings?
Most of us find old posts to respond to when casually browsing the older threads or seeking posts related to a searched topic. As for finding specific old posts, that's not easy. You have to type a unique phrase into the search engine and hope for the best.

Back