English ship design ca. 1600 – Mediterranean legacy

Beautiful work and very clarifying, actually something I never focussed on. You can even see it on the contemporary model of a typical retourschip as the Prins Willem. Below the fwd lines of the contemporary museum model as taken by Herman Ketting.
View attachment 423312
I have a question. When I look at the lines of the Hohenzollern model, I at once think of a conoidal design. Could it be, that we have conoids applied here?

.​
Hi Ara. Yes, you may well be right. I'll tell you frankly that I'm a bit apprehensive about this analysis, because the plan made by Heinrich Winter may contain unpredictable inaccuracies that can have the potential to prevent perfect reverse engineering (measurement errors, drawing errors or simplifications, spoiling of measured section contours by arbitrary use of smoothing waterlines or diagonals, etc.).

Nevertheless, I now see some clear regularities in the frame contours on Winter's plan:

– lower breadth sweeps and futtock sweeps are one geometrical entity (an arc of variable radius, giving just the conoidal surface, as you mentioned, which is so characteristic of North Continental designs),
– bilge sweeps with a constant, uniform radius along the entire length of the hull (here the consistency of such a reading is exceptionally good),
– in the vast majority of cases I also notice a reconciling sweep, connecting bilge sweep with hollowing (bottom) curves.

All this means that the design concept of the Hohenzollern model 1670 is in no way inferior in level of sophistication to the known English designs of the period, such as Naseby 1655.

.​

Last edited:
Back