Endurance from Occre by Mallacoota

I must say I am never satisfied with how level I get my deadeyes... they are always OK but never good. I use a piece of bent piano wire, but maybe I need to use two pieces to prevent any rotation of the deadeye more certainly..? Watching the incredible Olya Batchvarov on Youtube and she uses a double wire.

Spent today on the jib sails...the brass rings are not anything like to scale...much too big. I had some slightly smaller ones which were enough for jib 2 and jib 3 but not jib 1... so jib 1 has these oversized rings in the photo. The scale is 1:70 so the 8mm rings represent an actual size of 560mm...duh... that isnt very sensible. I mean it isnt possible to honour the scale exactly because stuff becomes so small you cant work with it... but these are over the top.

20230615_163842.jpg

20230615_163850.jpg

Those stacked stern pieces that have to be shaped to a uniform compound curve are very challenging.
Agree about the rings! I'd have changed them right off! Some times the eye is the best judge of scale, or at least proportion. Looks fixable without too much travail and pulling out clumps of hair! Nice work thus far!

Pete

Last edited:
Spent today on the jib sails...the brass rings are not anything like to scale...much too big. I had some slightly smaller ones which were enough for jib 2 and jib 3 but not jib 1... so jib 1 has these oversized rings in the photo. The scale is 1:70 so the 8mm rings represent an actual size of 560mm...duh... that isnt very sensible. I mean it isnt possible to honour the scale exactly because stuff becomes so small you cant work with it... but these are over the top.

View attachment 379700

View attachment 379699

instructions

View attachment 379700

View attachment 379699
The instructions in my kit ask for 3mm rings which were supplied ("H" on the parts list). The ones that you have used are JT45 and 49 on the rigging diagrams perhaps.

My first kit from OcCre and unboxing is pretty impressive. Best parts list I have had certainly a huge improvement on the Riva Aquarama. The plans are all in A3 size rather than full sheet and I think I like that. Much easier to lay parts on the 1:1 plan than when it is pinned to wall.
Looking forward to this as I have just finished reading "Endurance - Shackletons incredible voyage" by Alfred Lansing. What an amazing story....now reading "The Ship beneath the ice" by Mensun Bound which is the 2022 discovery and photographing of the ship in 3000m of water in the Weddell Sea.
Great Minds must think as one. I am also am just beginning to build "Endurance" and read the Endurance book. I am also going to read "The Ship beneath the Ice"
We should post notes and pictures as we work thru building the model.

Bill W.

View attachment 379700

View attachment 379699
Good afternoon. Stunning other than those oversized “hoops” you mentioned. I sometimes wonder with kit manufacturers providing such out of scale parts. I do like the colour of the sails. Cheers Grant

No..I have the rings put aside for mizzen and main. ...(well actually I have already installed them ) I was not provided with any 3mm rings at all. The rings I have used were the smallest in my kit....as you can see here below. However I got to this position it is not ideal. I might see if I can buy some small rings online. Should not be too hard.

20230530_115949-jpg.376931

Last edited:
Back