Endurance from Occre by Mallacoota

Have finished fabricating the fences and installed those not impeding rigging, the midships ones can go in at the end. All went pretty well, had a bit of a war with the Stbd bow rail but rescued it I think. Done the bowsprit chains and installed the bowsprit. 20230527_110014.jpgHappy with this and have now stepped the masts (no way back) to start rigging. I expect to find something very soon I should have done before putting the masts in place...LOL

20230527_110002.jpg20230527_110030.jpg

20230527_112137.jpg
The tape at the stern is so I could paint the stern rail frame white to match the original.

Yes Grant...after building about 12 models in as many years with breaks and bursts of activity...I am convinced that the order of doing things is everything. And it is not always the ortder the instructiuons offer... get the order optimised and you really make life as easy as you can. If the instructions are as rubbish as I think Occre ones are for Endurance then you have your work cut out for you.....but it is dead set the no. 1 critical success factor. Thinking ( and reading) ahead as far as possible is key. Having said that, i doubt there is an optimal time to install to Endurance fences, they are challenging. One of those things that you are good at by the time you finish.
Good tip on the rope stiffening... thks... what Victory did you build..? After a Caldercraft Endeavour ( fantastic model) I swore off heavily rigged square riggers...but I know that Victory is lurking there in the background and I will have to confront it at some stage. It is waiting to get me...LOL
So my Endurance fences are pretty rubbish really but I need to move on
Cheers...John
Good morning John. True story. I built (nearly finished) the Mantua 1:78 scale. My first real ship and had so much fun doing it- full off rookie errors and inaccuracies but also threw away instructions at a point. If you are going to build a Victory one day the only kit to buy would be the Caldercraft one. Expensive but would be worth it for sure. I have a log of my build here (sorry don’t know how to post a link). And yes the Victory does get you. ROTF Cheers Grant

I'll jump in because Grant is probably too shy to brag. He built GRANT's Victory (inside joke). Check out this magnificent work-in-progress...

7348b793-e2c1-4237-b2c8-16df186ae4d6-jpeg.373140
Blush……

Just kidding with the masts...I am going to rig the sails first. I have rigged two of the Foremast sails and am paying for a very bad decision early on the build. I saw that they provide the cheapest rubbish boxwood blocks for rigging, the doubles are so poor you cant even drill them out with a 0.7mm drill to clear the holes without splitting every second or third one. I have sometimes bought polished pearwood blocks from Dry Dock Models in Canada...they are really beautiful but at $14 AUD ( $9 USD) plus postage for 25 I cheaped out and went with the provided ones. They may well be more widely available now..? If I find another supplier I will post it... Bad call....but I will just have to make it work. I do have some of the pearwood ones on hand but not enough for the whole job. The thread is very poor also in my opinion... thick and furry is how I would describe it. These are just my opinions and others will not agree. I really like Amati thread it is strong and non furry...you really dont need to wax it. Whatever...I've got what I've got...push on. More sails tomorrow.
Can anyone tell me how to use the multiple holes in the mast platforms..? Presume they are to take sail handling lines down ..??

Last edited:
Francois ..you are too kind . I have seen what I believe is your Endurance work in another place. It makes me realise that I cant get to your skill level against the tide of arthritis and advanced age, not to mention skill level ..... damn... I will just have to be satisfied with what I can do. If I am correctly attributing the Endurance in another place to you it is museum quality. Very well done, it is really outstanding. I might just destroy mine...LOL

I took a break from my Endurance to build the John Smith Shallop, but hope to get back to the Endurance soon. I thought of blackening all the brass; port holes, chains, etc. I haven't seen any other Endurance builds do this. Any thoughts?

Francois ..you are too kind . I have seen what I believe is your Endurance work in another place. It makes me realise that I cant get to your skill level against the tide of arthritis and advanced age, not to mention skill level ..... damn... I will just have to be satisfied with what I can do. If I am correctly attributing the Endurance in another place to you it is museum quality. Very well done, it is really outstanding. I might just destroy mine...LOL
Thank you my friend.
my best friend is a tweezers !;)

You're right the most important is to take pleasure

Spent today rigging the sail handling lines on the foremast before leaving to go fishing. Went satisfactorily... I should have made the belaying pins angled slightly more out at the bottom to make it easier to wrap lines...but OK..tyhats down to me and poor planning.. I dont want to bang on about Occre but I have occasionally forgotten to drill out the block holes and then can't thread the running rigging through them....i do harden the last cm with CA which usually works. I only know of one company that does this , but they offer an upgrade with their kits to pearwood polished blocks for a price. ( Vanguard) ..it is a great idea, but unlikely to be of interest to Occre who are into cheap, and Vanguard typically match the ship for about 50-70 GBP. But you can get then=m cheaper than that. Once you have used the pearwood blocks from Dry Dock Models (and now others as well) it is very frustrating to go back to the cheap boxwood ones. Whatever...I am complaining too much. The rigging is going OK... saving the deadeyes and shroud completion for when I return. I really like the way the finished model is looking, supoer interesting boat.

I took a break from my Endurance to build the John Smith Shallop, but hope to get back to the Endurance soon. I thought of blackening all the brass; port holes, chains, etc. I haven't seen any other Endurance builds do this. Any thoughts?
I blackened all portholes, chains and eyebolts before starting. Also blackened some brass baling pins that I had from a previous build to use at the base of the masts to make the sail line attachments more authentic than the deck bolts supplied with the kit.
Check out my build log. Yesterday I finished the build, just have to make the nameplate and take photos then I will post the completed ship.

I blackened all portholes, chains and eyebolts before starting. Also blackened some brass baling pins that I had from a previous build to use at the base of the masts to make the sail line attachments more authentic than the deck bolts supplied with the kit.
Check out my build log. Yesterday I finished the build, just have to make the nameplate and take photos then I will post the completed ship.
Just saw it. I love it! Looks great. There are a few things I wanted to do to add detail to my Endurance above and beyond what OcCre supplied. I'm going to buy better rope, blocks, add planks to some of the structures like the dog houses, and definitely blacken all the brass. I'm going to furl the sails to simulate the last days of the Endurance after it was trapped n the ice. I also have seen a few posts about the rails and need to figure out what I'm going to do for that.

Back