Display case solutions

Working on a case fir my Wright Flyer as U will need to ship it to the US when I move back there next year. Got the acrylic panels and plywood for base from the local big box hardware, etc. store near me in Germany. Cut the first two side panels using hobby knife to score and hand saw to cut. No photos to post yet; perhaps in a couple of weeks when I return from work travel.

I’ve made several cases out of 0.125”thick acrylic sheet. 4’ x 4’ extruded sheet can be purchased for $100 - $150 if you're able to pick it up from a local supplier. The best solution for making the seams is to use Weld-on acrylic cement with a needle applicator. Detailed descriptions of the process are described in several Youtube videos.
An example of one of my cases is shown below:E68448C6-570E-4B1C-8F17-2FC793825230.jpeg

I recently discovered that Lowes will cut your acrylic to size at no charge when you buy it from them. I had bad experiences trying to score and break it and am glad to know they will cut the panels for me.
Guy
I suspect that they operators at big box lumberyards will not have the precision needed to make an acceptable vitrine.

I have made several acrylic vitrines using my laser cutter to cut the parts. The only drawback to using the laser cutter is the cut lines have a slight taper to them. So I find it necessary to lightly sand them square.

Hello everyone I have made my own cases, the one for my Sovereign of the seas was just to big and expensive to buy ,I made with plexiglass and oak wood with a removable front glass and top, I also bought a cheap light on Amazon that has like 20 different colors, the different colors turned out to be pretty cool, all the plexiglass is removable to clean once in awhile ,they sit in slots I cut in with the table saw . Thanks everyone

20211230_200959.jpg

20210907_151608.jpg

20210907_151551.jpg

I got mine for my Bonhomme Richard cross section from shopPOPdisplays.com:
1662824128026.png
This one cost me $131 delivered. It's 5-sided, professionally glued together, only needing a base, which I am making.

I priced one that would fit your ship: 36 x 12 x 18 at $305, but shipping was $203 (mine was free, but much smaller). A lot of money, especially for shipping, but depends on what other options you have. Here's a link to design and price your own:

https://www.shoppopdisplays.com/CS001/5-sided-clear-acrylic-box-custom-size.html

Any glass store will cut your acrylic to size. Don't forget to add the thickness of the cut acrylic to the top cover piece so it fits correctly.
Use a large cardboard box to lean the acrylic against to set up the 90 degree corners as well as using a set square to check. Use painters' tape to hold the pieces together while you apply the clear chemical that bonds the pieces together. The glass store will mix it for you. Don't wait too long to do the job as the liquid
bonding evaporates very quickly, even when tightly sealed in a jar.
I use a small artist's brush to paint the liquid into the joints. You can also use a syringe.
I have done a half dozen cases and I found no need to do a wooden base. This can be done as an extra of course.
For a large model ship figure around $150.00 to $200.00 for the sheets. Well worth it to keep unwanted fingers and dust off your model.

I hope this doesn’t sound elitist but I believe anyone that has the skills to build a wood ship model has the skills to build a simple display case.
I bought acrylic sheets at my local Ace Hardware store They cut all five pieces to the dimensions I gave them. The acrylic sheets were not expensive.
If you have a table saw you can cut the sheets yourself, just go slow, so the acrylic doesn’t melt. Also a table saw will allow you to cut slots in the wood to allow the acrylic sheets to fit into.
You Tube has a lot of videos on how to make display cases and work with acrylic sheets.
I’ve made 6 display cases and I’m not by any stretch of the imagination a skilled furniture maker.
It’s really not all that difficult. Just plan it out carefully before starting.

I hope this doesn’t sound elitist but I believe anyone that has the skills to build a wood ship model has the skills to build a simple display case.
I bought acrylic sheets at my local Ace Hardware store They cut all five pieces to the dimensions I gave them. The acrylic sheets were not expensive.
If you have a table saw you can cut the sheets yourself, just go slow, so the acrylic doesn’t melt. Also a table saw will allow you to cut slots in the wood to allow the acrylic sheets to fit into.
You Tube has a lot of videos on how to make display cases and work with acrylic sheets.
I’ve made 6 display cases and I’m not by any stretch of the imagination a skilled furniture maker.
It’s really not all that difficult. Just plan it out carefully before starting.
Skills, yes. Know-how, not really. Those YouTube videos you pointed out are the solution. In fact, much of what I have learned in many new areas of expertise, from car and house repairs, gunsmithing, machining, carpentry to model painting, was learned there. Often the trick is knowing where to find the right information, tools, and materials and them you teach yourself the work using the skills you bring to the table. It's another reason why I like this forum. Members here share not only what they know, but where you can go to learn things. As a result of this thread, I watched four videos on cutting and gluing acrylic, and basic learned the tools and techniques required to make the case which will eventually cover the ship model being built. Thanks to everyone who participated in this new area of learning!

Here is my two cents.
I built this case out of mahogany leftover I found in the shop I used to work.
I retired but still go there to work as a subcontractor once in a while, so I still have access to goodies.
For the bottom base I used white acrylic.
The right side acts as a access door to the interior.
1CF52B05-0272-4D91-BF9E-3232062EFE82.jpeg6680EB68-BE7A-4701-B9C3-23C849F3BD66.jpeg
6680EB68-BE7A-4701-B9C3-23C849F3BD66.jpeg

7F4486A8-57BC-4B92-BFF5-9542B6747CD4.jpeg

This is another case that I ordered from Faulkner Plastics (https://plasticproductsinc.com/).
It’s a three pieces case.still has the protective film on it.
A606AB73-AFB0-45F6-B29C-10135396AFB0.jpeg
This is the cleanest case you could have since they build it with only three acrylic pieces, two for the sides and one complete bent piece that cover front and back. This case cost me $230.
Sadly this model was commissioned by the son of of a great model builder himself, to remember his dad that had pass away but he never came to pick it up. At the bottom of the model you can see the pencils that his father used wile building models that still has his teeth marks.
Soon I will show it on EBay to see if I could sell it, of course, without the pencils.
A606AB73-AFB0-45F6-B29C-10135396AFB0.jpeg25DE7015-01E3-432F-9680-09087AFAB4CE.jpeg

3F322907-8B22-4609-9266-0C2008C00DF3.jpeg

I built the Occre Ulysses tug. Love it but it’s quickly gathering dust. About 33” long X 8” wide X 16” high. Prices for readymade cases are staggering. DIY solutions on the web seem daunting. Can’t find aquariums that would fit. What creative methods have you come up with to make a custom display that is relatively doable and reasonably priced. Thank you.
Hallo @Rwalter46
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your project with the display case going?

Back