Difficult Proxxon tools choice

Hi
I have already the Proxxon Micro Table KT70. My rotary tools are Dremel based and do not like their stand. Unfortunatly, Proxxon prices in Canada increased by 2x to 3x depending of the salées.

I have money for the Micro Mill OR Micromot IBS/E with accessories plus Drill stand MB200. I hesitated between these two possibilities.

Based on you experiences, which one will be the most useful POF building is a possibilité, but essential.

Thanks for any advices

Michel

To add more precision, I saw some people using the Proxxon MicrMot ISB/E for milling with the stand and even a chuck installed over the compound table (gentle milling with appropriated pressure and time). I saw more people that said that the MF70 require some modification and this afraid me a little bit. The MicropMot ISB is not the Drill press, may be the bearing is more approppriate for more intense uses ?

I'm happy with my MF70, I use it a lot, make some upgrades to make the job easier, like a caliper on the side to measure the height, a flat surface, etc. And the only mod I did was exchange the bearing in the z-axle on top. Not necessary but it makes the turning on the wheel lighter.

Thank you Stephan. I appreciate, but I you like to obtain comment for the rotary tool setup. It seem's more flexible, but ? May be should I purchse (in few days) the Mill ?

Last edited:
I and a lot of other people adapted the Proxxon IB/E rotary tools on Siex X2's and never had any issues. A lot of people cut aluminum with them. If you're cutting wood you don't need to worry about the bearings in the tool. Here's a thread with a photo of the one I had. I still have the IB/E just not the mill.

To me the biggest issue with using a drill press type of unit to mill wood is the lack of a fine feed on the z axis. I've never tried it but it looks to me like you have to use the depth stop to set the height of the tool then hold the spring loaded head down while you're milling. I'm assuming it's spring loaded. I haven't done this so I have no idea if it's an issue or not but the accuracy of the z axis height is what I would be concerned about.

Thank for the info. That help me to decide and focus for a minimum of equipment to keep money for others ships. I have not a mini mill to modified and put a proxxon rotary tools and the dremel stand is not good enough. I wished that someone said that the Proxxon MB 200 will be good enough for the purpose. I have some small time gap before to push the button for the purchase. I will try to not be too compulsive LOL!

Hi
I have already the Proxxon Micro Table KT70. My rotary tools are Dremel based and do not like their stand. Unfortunatly, Proxxon prices in Canada increased by 2x to 3x depending of the salées.

I have money for the Micro Mill OR Micromot IBS/E with accessories plus Drill stand MB200. I hesitated between these two possibilities.

Based on you experiences, which one will be the most useful POF building is a possibilité, but essential.

Thanks for any advices

Michel
I would not buy anything other than Sherline.

FROM ME JUST ME A MILL IS A MILL IT IS DESIGNED TO BE A MILL, FROM MY EXPERIENCE DO NOT GET ANYTHING BUT A MILL TO DO MILLING AND I AGREE THE Z AXIES IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SETTING, WITCH MILL I CAN NOT SAY. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi,
You can see this video. May be it's OK for some light wooden works but still....:rolleyes:
I finally saw it. Great improvment of the 140 stand, but I will purchased the MB 200 one. Thanks you for this great idea, it gives others opportunities to modified the stand on some way, but I have to tink about it before pushing the button (BM 200 has a slot in the back that prevent to insert screw in the center of the casing.)

I agree 100% Having been a machinist, I've used everything from Micro and mini, to G & L boring mills with 8 inch diameter spindles. Every machine is designed to do a specific task, mills, lathes, drill presses etc. Some of each group are even more specifically designed such as horizontal mills, slab mills, boring mills etc.
Not to say a task can't be done on machine tools designed for a different task, but it is always a compromise and usually is more difficult to set up and rarely produces work as accurately as using a tool designed for the job.

Hi

Thanks for any advices

Michel
I would also recommend the MT70, as others have done, mine is fitted with an ER11 shaft & thrust bearing to X Y & Z axes.

Hi,

I finally pushed the trigger and purchased the Proxxon milling machine with precision vise and Milling cutters. Later I will purchase the rotative chuck when money came back in my hobby pocket.

Thanks for your help. It was a difficult purchased, too much tools I would like to have... Ultimation sander and splicer may be next or a POF ship.

Back