Continental Galley Washington - By Bill R

Gee, I've never done anything like THAT before...:rolleyes: ( I'm currently having to do over the whole set of four sails for my ShamrockV J-class sloop. I got the entire mainsail attached to the mast and boom and rigged before realizing it was 40% lighter bond paper than I should have used. Rigging that sail on a J-class sloop is a whole lot different and fussier than rigging a common fore and aft sail. I set myself back about 40 hours' worth,
and I usually don't bother to count my hours. Cautious)
I appreciate your work and will continue to follow...and learn.

Pete

Good result - Bravo

I do not know the plans you are working with, but I have a question related to the shown excerpt of the drawing

View attachment 385908

The green marked area is looking like the false keel ? - if yes I have my doubts, that the keel element would end in a point (red arrow) -> Is there maybe an error in the drawing? This question is only important, if you want to install a false keel also on your model - it is just a question of interest
Hi Uwek, right Your observation , are 6 pieces the composition of the keel.Frank

wash4141.jpg

Hello everyone,

I have decided on the Continental Galley Washington as my first POF build.

Before I move forward, I must go back to how I decided on the Washington. When I first came to this site, I became captivated by the beauty of the ships that are being built. Being a confident person, I thought I can do that. Yeah right. Right away I purchased the ANCRE L'Amarante. Well after looking over the plans and monograph I new that it was well over my head. Still confident, I purchased the ANCRE Le Rochefort. After much studying, I found that this was still out of my realm of understanding. While cruising the internet I came upon the plans for the Galey Washington and purchased them. I have spent a lot of time going over these plans and I feel I will be able to successfully complete the ship.

I feel must apologize for my display of ignorance towards the amount of skill required to undertake such a task. I am truly humbled by all of the great artist on this site.

More good stuff to come.

Thanks, Bill
Hallo @Bill-R ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Hello everyone,

I can’t believe that it has been this long since I have done any work on the Washington. Well I guess you really have to finish something to call it work.

When I finished the keel, I measured the gaps between the deadwood at aft end I found they were off by 1.5mm. So I’m starting over again. Good thing I ordered extra wood. I can see where I’m headed.

This time I made a spacer to make sure I get the gaps right between the deadwood right and I also made a jig to insure I cut the pieces for the deadwood the same size.

Bill

IMG_4454.jpeg

IMG_4456.jpeg

Back