Continental Galley Washington - By Bill R

Hello everyone,

I have decided on the Continental Galley Washington as my first POF build.

Before I move forward, I must go back to how I decided on the Washington. When I first came to this site, I became captivated by the beauty of the ships that are being built. Being a confident person, I thought I can do that. Yeah right. Right away I purchased the ANCRE L'Amarante. Well after looking over the plans and monograph I new that it was well over my head. Still confident, I purchased the ANCRE Le Rochefort. After much studying, I found that this was still out of my realm of understanding. While cruising the internet I came upon the plans for the Galey Washington and purchased them. I have spent a lot of time going over these plans and I feel I will be able to successfully complete the ship.

I feel must apologize for my display of ignorance towards the amount of skill required to undertake such a task. I am truly humbled by all of the great artist on this site.

More good stuff to come.

Thanks, Bill

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the encouragement Uwek and thanks for the likes. I’m looking forward to the challenge. Ocooch Hardwood is in Viola Wisconsin. It took about a week to get my order. I talked with Ethan at Ocooch about what I was using the wood for and he was very helpful in making sure I got what I needed for my build.

Bill

Hello everyone,

I went down to the UPS store and had the monograph made into a spiral notebook. The monograph looks to be written very well and will clearly take you through the building process step by step.

Bill

ONE WORD OF CAUTION ON THIS BUILD YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A JIG FOR THIS BELIEVE ME I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, YOU NEED A BUILDING JIG OR A GANTRY TYPE JIG OTHERWISE THE FRAMES MOUNTED ON THEKEEL WILL LEAN IN ALL DIFFERENT WAYS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Hi Bill,
wow very good choice. Glad to see you found a ship for you. Interesting and very nice plans, also a nice choice of wood. I'm looking forward to your pictures and your progress. I wish you a lot of fun and success, I will follow it with interest.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the heads up. I fully plan on making a building board. I am sure I could not build the hull without one. My next errand will be to the big box store to get the necessary material for a building board. On this site, I have seen lots of very nice building boards. I will make mine similar to those.

Bill

Ditto the above . Thanks for the tip on Ocooch Hardwoods! There's no place like the deep end to learn how to swim. Just don't forget to breathe and tread water occasionally. It's a long way to shore. And no problem asking for help along the way.
I'm Duly Impressed already at your courage and confidence!.

Pete G.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for looking in and the encouragement. There is lots to learn and I am very much so looking forward to getting started. Hi Shota. I agree it is an interesting ship. I haven't been able to find much information on the Galley Washington though. Hi Pete. Ocooch Hardwoods has been very helpful with making sure I received good wood for the project. I wouldn't necessarily call it courage and confidence. It may be more like fear and foolhardiness.;) I've all the material for my building board. I need to go down to the print shop to make some copies. Also, my drive belt for my band saw broke, so I need to order a new one.

Bill

Back