Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

Thought that I'd start the smokestacks while waiting for glue to dry on my other build.

BUT...

B1172DA8-1CBD-4EEC-9459-AD8C2F64290C_1_201_a.jpeg

Unfortunately the dowels supplied in the kit are not the same diameter. I now need to make a trip to the hardware store :mad:

Thought that I'd start the smokestacks while waiting for glue to dry on my other build.

BUT...

View attachment 324622

Unfortunately the dowels supplied in the kit are not the same diameter. I now need to make a trip to the hardware store :mad:
That’s a deja-vu, Jan. Also my problem with the smokestacks. Made them eventually from PVC electric tube.
Good luck at the hardware store. But watch out, it is there like walking in a candystore ………. Toys for Boys …….
Regards, Peter

That’s a deja-vu, Jan. Also my problem with the smokestacks. Made them eventually from PVC electric tube.
Good luck at the hardware store. But watch out, it is thenre like walking in a candystore ………. Toys for Boys …….
Regards, Peter
True, true, true. I always seem to manage finding items that I “really” need.

Last edited:
Wow, hard to believe how much time has passed since I last worked on this build.

IMG_4291.jpeg

The Admiral and I dusted, vacuumed and generally cleaned over a years worth of dust from the hull. Now I have to get my mind around to where did I leave off or where do I start.

To be continued.

Jan

Wow, hard to believe how much time has passed since I last worked on this build.

View attachment 443920

The Admiral and I dusted, vacuumed and generally cleaned over a years worth of dust from the hull. Now I have to get my mind around to where did I leave off or where do I start.

To be continued.

Jan
Good morning Jan. I’m sure the world is turning faster on its axis….time moves quicker now days. Good to see your stern wheeler back ready for some more play time. Cheers Grant

View attachment 443920

To be continued.

Jan
Nice to see here back on your table, Jan. She deserves a nice finish.
Regards, Peter

OK, where to continue the build.

Hmm, the paddle wheel looked like a good start.

Seems simple enough to help to get back into the build mode.

IMG_4296.jpeg

Oh boy, after a couple of days of fiddling, measuring, lot's of coffee and bad words, I finally have everything lined up, squared to the inside distance between the wheels (1 5/16 in/33.5mm).

IMG_4297.jpeg

My method probably isn't the best construction technique, but it's working for me.

The dowel/axle was inserted into a piece of 1 X 3, a piece of wax paper placed on the 1X 3 and then the first wheel was clamped and glued to the dowel/axel. It was the only way I could figure out to have the first wheel square on the dowel/axle.

The next step was to cut four pieces of 1/16 X 1/2in to the length of the paddle boards, slide the second wheel on to the axle, clamp the paddle boards at the first wheel and the second, making sure the the interior distance spacing between the wheels was at 1 5/16in. A little bit of glue on the second wheel hub fixed it to the axle. The process continued with wheels three and four.

IMG_4298.jpeg

Hmm, looks like a Porcupine.

The plan is to start adding the paddle boards tomorrow. I don't know if I'll use the wood supplied in the kit. It's 1/32 X 3/32in. I glued several pieces to the right width (3 of them side by side), but when scraping and sanding them they "Bowed" and seem way to flexible.

Jan

Last edited:
OK, where to continue the build.

Hmm, the paddle wheel looked like a good start.

Seems simple enough to help to get back into the build mode.

View attachment 445041

Oh boy, after a couple of days of fiddling, measuring, lot's of coffee and bad words, I finally have everything lined up, squared to the inside distance between the wheels (1 5/16 in/33.5mm).

View attachment 445042

My method probably isn't the best construction technique, but it's working for me.

The dowel/axle was inserted into a piece of 1 X 3, a piece of wax paper placed on the 1X 3 and then the first wheel was clamped and glued to the dowel/axel. It was the only way I could figure out to have the first wheel square on the dowel/axle.

The next step was to cut four pieces of 1/16 X 1/2in to the length of the paddle boards, slide the second wheel on to the axle, clamp the paddle boards at the first wheel and the second, making sure the the interior distance spacing between the wheels was at 1 5/16in. A little bit of glue on the second wheel hub fixed it to the axle. The process continued with wheels three and four.

View attachment 445043

Hmm, looks like a Porcupine.

The plan is to start adding the paddle boards tomorrow. I don't know if I'll use the wood supplied in the kit. It's 1/32 X 3/32in. I glued several pieces to the right width (3 of them side by side), but when scraping and sanding them they "Bowed" and seem way to flexible.

Jan
What you show looks good, Jan. You have to find a method that suits you. It seems like a simple object but still needs the necessary attention to get it straight and turning. The paddles will strengthen the structure.
Regards, Peter

What you show looks good, Jan. You have to find a method that suits you. It seems like a simple object but still needs the necessary attention to get it straight and turning. The paddles will strengthen the structure.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter. My biggest problem was finding a starting point. I think I fiddled with that for a whole day.

Jan

The Paddlewheel:

Rainy, cold day here, good time to tackle the Paddlewheel portion of the build.

The kit instructions called for three 1/32 X 3/32 strips to be glued together to form the paddles. I needed fourteen paddles. The oops moment occurred when checking the first three paddles that I had glued, they varied in width and just didn't look like I thought they should. SO.. I changed the paddle gluing method to four strips and trimmed them to all the same width as best as I could. I made a bunch of them before I had fourteen that I liked.

Anyway, my result dry fitted.

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

A lot moe piddly stuff to go.

Jan

The Paddlewheel:

The kit instructions called for three 1/32 X 3/32 strips to be glued together to form the paddles. I needed fourteen paddles. The oops moment occurred when checking the first three paddles that I had glued, they varied in width and just didn't look like I thought they should. SO.. I changed the paddle gluing method to four strips and trimmed them to all the same width as best as I could. I made a bunch of them before I had fourteen that I liked.

View attachment 445207

View attachment 445208

A lot moe piddly stuff togo.

Jan
That is a very nice outcome, Jan. Time invested ultimately pays off.
Regards, Peter

The Paddlewheel:

View attachment 445207

View attachment 445208

A lot moe piddly stuff togo.

Jan
Good morning Jan. Looking spot on. I enjoy paddle steamers and it is good to see you working on her again.Cheers Grant

Back