Chaperon 1884 Stern Wheeler

I want to thank all of you who have looked in on my continued build. I appreciate the likes and comments.

So.. a little ship building humor. Or what has this to do with the Chaperon Build???? Any guesses???

IMG_4301.jpeg

No it's not a Hobby Horse for the Chaperon's Captain son. ROTF

Jan

Yup,I'm a novice and really have no idea of what I'm doing, but I think I'v stumbled across a minor problem.

The Stern Timbers.

IMG_4303.jpeg

I've held off on doing the fancy scroll edging until I had the stern timbers in place. The red arrow points to the location for the start of the 2nd timber (red line) as per plan sheet #3.

IMG_4305.jpeg
This shows the timbers butted up. Fortunately I didn't make two of these, because they would not have fit.

To further confuse the issue this plan shows another configuration.

IMG_4304.jpeg

And also this plan

IMG_4306.jpeg

So there you have it.

I'm to going to think about this over a couple of Beers.

Hmm, maybe I should go do something Knotical for a couple of days.

Jan

Yup,I'm a novice and really have no idea of what I'm doing, but I think I'v stumbled across a minor problem.

The Stern Timbers.

View attachment 445543

I've held off on doing the fancy scroll edging until I had the stern timbers in place. The red arrow points to the location for the start of the 2nd timber (red line) as per plan sheet #3.

View attachment 445544
This shows the timbers butted up. Fortunately I didn't make two of these, because they would not have fit.

To further confuse the issue this plan shows another configuration.

View attachment 445545

And also this plan

View attachment 445546

So there you have it.

I'm to going to think about this over a couple of Beers.

Hmm, maybe I should go do something Knotical for a couple of days.

Jan
Hi Jan. I will look tomorrow in Alan Bates Cyclopedium. I think he has some drawing about the construction of the stern wheel.
Regards, Peter

Hi Jan. Some information from "The Western Rivers Steamboat Cyclopedium" from Alan Bates.
To under stand the function of 'Braces&Chains'.
About his drawings he wrote: "Remember this: Chains ALWAYS lift; Braces ALWAYS press down. Because of the strains on chains they ran straight from brace to brace. Don't run them around obstacles.'
To illustrate that with 4 drawings: And at the bottom of fig.33: The - sign indicaties tension of pull. And the + sign means compression of push:
1714806914092.png
1714807052538.png
1714807091295.png
1714807135399.png

Then the last picture of you post is understandable. I put some colors in your picture:
1714808561621.png
Blue: the chains length wise. To hold the wheel legs in position when the wheel is not in function and lifted the weight of the wheel.
Yellow: the chain sideways. To hold the sides forces of the structure. Often there is also a chain between both poles/braces. I don't know if the your plans shows that.
Red: the braces to resist the upwards forces when the wheel is in function. (See fig. 36) When the wheel and legs want to go up, those 2 (red) braces push them down and hold position.
Green: the standing brace, which transfers the forces to the hull. (The poles with the + in the fig's)

Hopefully this clarifies something of the principle of the Braces&Cahins.
Then the 1st drawing is also correct, with the front brace tapering to a point and in the corner between the rear (red) and the standing brace (green).
Not on the railing or side post as the 2nd drawing suggests.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Wow, thank you Peter. That is a lot of information to absorb. Granted I’m working on a model and do not have a lot of experience, but looking at the paper plans and converting the data to the physical world I released that I had a bit of a problem.

Your post is a tremendous help. I think with a little more trimming I’ll have a working solution.

73676CCA-9254-42FC-9D9D-EE1AF4AFEADF.jpeg

There is enough clearance for the fancy scroll work at the top of the timber (blue circle) and a bit more trimming required to fit the 2nd timber before the wheel hub (red circle).

The screen shot of the 3D Chaperon also shows a good look at the timber and cable/chain configuration at the paddle wheel.

A28F2F60-2E19-47EE-BE40-FD2AEEDEDA58.jpeg
A lot to think about.

Jan

Back