Can light dimmer be used with Proxxon FET saw to slow the motor down?

My opinion is the type of wood being cut. The maple has sugar in it and this causes the burn marks. I can run a piece of maple through my table saw and not be surprised to see burn marks. I could then run a piece of oak through the same saw and no burn marks. I found this out many years ago when making furniture.
I work with cherry, same problem. This burns so easily

Most times the wood burns while sawing because of an incorrect blade for the type\sicknesses of the timber. Slowing the motor down will kill the motor unless you are using reduction gear (which is not the case with most table saws). Just have a moment a check the latest Olga videos when she cut 1-inch thick timbers. It is very smooth and clean. She used carbide tipped blade. Also, the thicker\harder wood you have to cut, then use the blade with the fewest teeth. Another suggestion is to move the 'exit' side of the guide just a notch away from the blade. I am using this blade.

View attachment 386324
Try using a triple chip blade

Buy the way blade you show will not fit into my saw. My saw takes 85 mm maximum diameter blade.
Also I all my blades are tungsten carbide.
Proxxon supply a similar blade (Amazon?), it will cut a plank with no burns. The price you pay is the kerf, there's a lot of wasted timber there!

Thanks, Steef66,

Be sure I checked a hundred times if the fence is parallel and the blade is brand new and awfully sharp. Wood burns because it is hard maple. This wood would always have tendency to leave burn marks. Last resort, I was thinking reducing a blade speed a bit to see if it is possible the maple not to burn on my machine.

What Proxxon dimmer are you speaking of? Never heard of it.
It's easy to burn hard maple. Here's something that often works on a full-size tablesaw but it's extra work. Make two cuts. On the first one leave. your piece 1/32 oversized. Then make a second cut to remove that 32nd. I'm assuming you have rip and crosscut blades as appropriate.

Do you have a smaller diameter blade for the cut? For any given rotational speed, a small diameter blade will usually produce less friction than a large diameter blade. as for speed control, it all depends on the circuit wiring/electronic devices involved.
Happy modeling.
Steven

Make sure your fence is parallel to the saw blade.
Use the right saw blade for your wood. The one you show us is not a saw to use for hardwood.
The best is that you use a blade with carbid teeth like Jim showen you. Proxxon got 2 types. 1 got less teeth. That is for thicker cuts.
For all types of wood the speed is almost the same on my saw, just the sawblade makes the difference. The lower speed is for non ferro metals and hard plastics or stone/glass.
Also what pebble mentioned, low feeding speed.

Here is the speed control of the FET
View attachment 386397
This is the the machine micro-mark copied.
If there is a speed control on the new type of Proxxon FET, I don't know. If there isn't it will be not necessary.
I don’t think micro mark copied the machine. I think Proxxon made a special batch in grey for micromark.

I use a dimmer switch on a number of tools. No problem.
Wood feed- especially if pressed too hard towards the fence, can cause some burn.
Carbide teeth better but "many teeth" for thinner wood
The smaller 58mm blade from the Proxxon KS will fit and is good for cutting grooves for stairs etc.
Like all blades, they work better when sharp (new) and I always order several at a time .

Occasionally wood got burned when sawing due to blade speed too high. Can light dimmer be used with Proxxon FET saw to slow the motor down?
Simple answer Yes, But I am assuming that the motor is a brush type motor like a Dremel. Keep in mind that lowering the speed will cause the Hp/wattage to drop off at a higher rate than the speed. Its easy enough to give it a try and see if it helps.

If you are getting wood burning i suspect the saw blade may be dull. I have a Proxxon band saw for years and never get burnt cuts.

There are many motor speed controllers, both AC and DC, available. Just a search of Amazon with 'Motor Speed Controller' brings up a bunch. Remember that the wave forms coming off the controllers can affect the efficiency. And that current/voltage is typically inversely proportional so heat shouldn't be a big problem. (wattage is determined by the formula P=EI) And there is always the Variac transformers for heavier usage/performance.

Back