Building The New HMS Endeavour By Artesania Latina Video Log

Earlier this week I started prep for planking the hull. I decided to fill in some of the spaces and that proved to be quite a task. It looks horrible and only time will tell if I'm a hero or a zero.

View attachment 324384

View attachment 324385

View attachment 324386
Jamie, Might be too late but this is not the correct stern for ENDEAVOUR. Its one of the major errors in the kit. Refer following threads
Mar 27, 2022
I got as far as you have on the stern before realising the error, then pealed off the lower transom planks , re-faired the stern and planked to prototype.
Feb 24, 2022 shows the bow planking errors but they don't really matter if you are going to paint the hull per the kit instructions.
I do like the blocking though and this is definitely something I will do in my future builds.

Last edited:
Jamie, Might be too late but this is not the correct stern for ENDEAVOUR. Its one of the major errors in the kit. Refer following threads
Mar 27, 2022
I got as far as you have on the stern before realising the error, then pealed off the lower transom planks , re-faired the stern and planked to prototype.
Feb 24, 2022 shows the bow planking errors but they don't really matter if you are going to paint the hull per the kit instructions.
I do like the blocking though and this is definitely something I will do in my future builds.
I assume you're talking about a square-ish stern vs a heart shaped one? I didn't notice it til you mentioned it. I don't think it's too late. I may have a look at it and see if it's too much trouble.

Stern.jpg

captain-cooks-endeavor-anatomy-of-the-ship_compress Page 056.jpg

I assume you're talking about a square-ish stern vs a heart shaped one? I didn't notice it til you mentioned it. I don't think it's too late. I may have a look at it and see if it's too much trouble.

View attachment 324521

View attachment 324522
Jamie, I found it relatively simple to do once I got my head around it. I moved the offending planks after slicing a gap between the ones to remain and the ones to go. There was a little reshaping of the stern framing/structure to do but if you're chocking and fairing, you will have a far easier task to remedy than I had and you will have the satisfaction that its correct and not have regret later on.

Last night while walking on the beach, I found a lamp. It was dirty so I gave it a little rub and out popped a Genie.
As you would expect, he was willing to grant me 3 wishes.
First, I asked to be so rich that I would never have to worry about money ever again. Granted!
Then I asked for a new Corvette. Granted! Red, new and shiny.
Lastly, I asked for a bridge that would span from California to Hawaii so I could drive since I was afraid of flying.

The Genie said he could not grant me that wish, the sheer magnitude of engineering and permits and concrete would just be near impossible.
He asked me if there was ANY thing else that have always wanted.

I thought for a few minutes and said, "I like to build model ships, can you grant me the skill and ability to plank a hull without using any filler or any stepped planks that would need to be sanded down afterwards? Just the ability to plank a perfect hull"

The Genie thought for a minute and said......So, you want that bridge to be 2 lanes or 4?????

Moral of the story?

Doing it right, or attempting to will likely be the death or me......or the ship ROTF

Last night while walking on the beach, I found a lamp. It was dirty so I gave it a little rub and out popped a Genie.
First, I asked to be so rich that I would never have to worry about money ever again. Granted!
Lastly, I asked for a bridge that would span from California to Hawaii so I could drive since I was afraid of flying.

The Genie said he could not grant me that wish, the sheer magnitude of engineering and permits and concrete would just be near impossible.

I thought for a few minutes and said, "I like to build model ships, can you grant me the skill and ability to plank a hull without using any filler or any stepped planks that would need to be sanded down afterwards? Just the ability to plank a perfect hull"

The Genie thought for a minute and said......So, you want that bridge to be 2 lanes or 4?????

Moral of the story?

Doing it right, or attempting to will likely be the death or me......or the ship ROTF
BTW, you don't need Genie to make a perfect planking hull on the models. All you need is to learn some basic techniques, but most important is patience and practice.

Bri

Moral of the story?

Brillant. ROTF

So......just how far off was your planking plan??? About That much.View attachment 326656
Good morning Jamie. That is good planking. You clearly got your planking plan better than I did, I had to shape a filler plank some. Nice. Your first attempt at the dropper plank worked well. On your second layer you should go for the method Peter referred to in his post - in my opinion is more appealing. As per photo below :
F096840D-9CBC-4D75-B6DE-CE08007D56C4.jpeg
Courtesy of Allan Tyler - colour of planking. I did post the whole document on @Nomad HMs Fly post #227 if you want to check it out.Cheers Grant

Good Morning Grant. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.
I do have a couple of those filler planks in my hull. You can actually see one just 3 planks to the left of the gap. However that was to fill a weird bulge in my planking. A little better planning would have probably filled that 1mm gap. But we pick up and we move on.
You also touched base on the one little caveat of this hull......there is no second layer or veneer. This is it...

I have thought about, fretted over, pulled hair out, lost sleep over, watched videos, watched more videos and lost a little more sleep over this hull. ROTF
I did not (do not) want to use any filler or wedges on this ship. It probably is a very easy hull to plank for the experienced builder, but as my first time really trying to build it right, it has been a chore. I have learned so much in the process and hopefully I don't forget it all when I start the Syren.

I should be done with the planking this evening and hope to post a pic of the sanded hull by the end of the day tomorrow.

Planking finished and rough sanded.
Achieved MOST of my goals.
Make a planking plan. Check
Add a drop plank. Check.
Add a stealer. Check
NO wedges, BIG CHECK!
Little to no filler. Check.
No CA Glue......well, you can't have it all lol
IMG_0303.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
I still have some sanding to do, but overall, I'm pleased with it.
Mostly because I learned so much in the process.

Back