Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

Happy birthday Charlie! Just catching up on your build. Great looking sails and now I can see how they fit in all that rigging.

Completed the sails. Each one was a test of how to make them. Some painted with white glue, different bolt rope attachments, and size/shape. My reference books were "The fully rigged Model, vol 4 by Antscherl", "The rigging of ships by Anderson",and"Ship modeling from stem to stern" . I also did a lot of Google searches and watched "Master and Commander" several times. I think I now have a fairly good process for sail making and would like to build another Pegasus with a full set of sails including the studding sails. Never found a model with those.

I still have to add several more details to Fly. Stern light, ships boat, rope hanks, etc. before it's ready to put in a case.

HMS Fly 95.jpgHMS Fly 96.jpgHMS Fly 97.jpgHMS Fly 98.jpgHMS Fly 99.jpgHMS Fly 100.jpg

Completed the sails. Each one was a test of how to make them. Some painted with white glue, different bolt rope attachments, and size/shape. My reference books were "The fully rigged Model, vol 4 by Antscherl", "The rigging of ships by Anderson",and"Ship modeling from stem to stern" . I also did a lot of Google searches and watched "Master and Commander" several times. I think I now have a fairly good process for sail making and would like to build another Pegasus with a full set of sails including the studding sails. Never found a model with those.

I still have to add several more details to Fly. Stern light, ships boat, rope hanks, etc. before it's ready to put in a case.

View attachment 393190View attachment 393191View attachment 393192View attachment 393193View attachment 393194View attachment 393195
Very, very nice indeed. A beauty.

View attachment 393190View attachment 393191View attachment 393192View attachment 393193View attachment 393194View attachment 393195
Beautiful Charlie.

Beautiful! I’m in awe of your abilities. Love the way you photographed it.

Back