Build log: HMS Fly [COMPLETED BUILD]

Working on the shrouds. All the kits I've seen have tan deadeyes and lanyards. I've been on HMS Victory, USS Constitution, and my son checked out HMS Surprise for me and they all have black deadeyes and lanyards so I went with black.

View attachment 348364
The shrouds are all part of the standing rigging on most ships. My Cutty Sark is newer than the models of these older ships but the rigging is very similar. Since the standing rigging doesn't move much they are all coated with tar to protect them from the elements. That makes them all a dark black color but the dead eyes could be anywhere from black to a new wood color if one had been replaced. However I think the shroud adjustment lanyards should be a lighter color since they do move to tighten the shrouds. The tar could stop them up if they were tarred. Does that make any sense?

The shrouds are all part of the standing rigging on most ships. My Cutty Sark is newer than the models of these older ships but the rigging is very similar. Since the standing rigging doesn't move much they are all coated with tar to protect them from the elements. That makes them all a dark black color but the dead eyes could be anywhere from black to a new wood color if one had been replaced. However I think the shroud adjustment lanyards should be a lighter color since they do move to tighten the shrouds. The tar could stop them up if they were tarred. Does that make any sense?
Could be. I went with what I could see that was present today. Also saw black lanyards in old paintings i saw on line. Final selection criteria? I just liked black better. Maybe someone out there has a more educated explanation?

Been a while since i've posted my progress. Had some trigger finger surgery and was left handed for a week. Back to using both hands now and was able to finish the sails on the main mast. Lots of errors that could have been prevented earlier on if i'd known what was needed. i.e extra blocks, belaying points, and so on. Considering doing another Pegasus build with sails now that I know what I'm getting into. Also adding jibs and stunsails would be awesome.

HMS Fly 90.jpgHMS Fly 91.jpg

Looking very good - the sails are making the model very attractive
Really good

Looks great! Did you ever change the dimensions of the blocks, deadeyes and rope when you replaced them, or kept the same measurements as the kit parts?

Looks great! Did you ever change the dimensions of the blocks, deadeyes and rope when you replaced them, or kept the same measurements as the kit parts?
I tried to keep the same dimensions the kit supplied. But seeing as this is a learning experience rigging sails i wasn't keeping to the plans that close. Blocks were a mix of sizes and styles depending I what I had available. Rope was also sometimes modified to make the best use of available items. I must have spent over $100 on rope alone. I plan on doing another Pegasus with full sails including studding sails which I didn't plan on with Fly. It is to late to do them now but think it would look fantastic with every sail set.

Studding sails.jpg

I tried to keep the same dimensions the kit supplied. But seeing as this is a learning experience rigging sails i wasn't keeping to the plans that close. Blocks were a mix of sizes and styles depending I what I had available. Rope was also sometimes modified to make the best use of available items. I must have spent over $100 on rope alone. I plan on doing another Pegasus with full sails including studding sails which I didn't plan on with Fly. It is to late to do them now but think it would look fantastic with every sail set.

View attachment 387262
Yes it is difficult to know what will work from looking at the things online, I won't risk anything when getting replacements. Another Pegasus? Well those studding sails would look cool, especially if you could give them a wind effect.

Yes it is difficult to know what will work from looking at the things online, I won't risk anything when getting replacements. Another Pegasus? Well those studding sails would look cool, especially if you could give them a wind effect.
Swan class sloops are my favorite. I give them to family members until I get one with no mistakes and keep it for myself. Could be years. ;)

The Mizzen Topsail is ready for install. I'm still experimenting with sail making and rigging. This time I added .9mm thimbles to the clew. Looks better to me. I'm still playing it by ear. When I finish this build there will be a lot of different techniques to adding sails so might look a bit odd to the experienced observer but i've learned a lot.
HMS Fly 93.jpgHMS Fly 94.jpg
HMS Fly 92.jpg

Last edited:
I posted a sail rigging question in the General topics/help section of SOS for my HMS Fly build. I have decided to add a build log to cover the sail installation. The bowsprit will be the first set of sails and will be furled.

I didn’t do a complete build log for H.M.S. Fly because I posted a build log for H.M.S. Pegasus and they are 95% identical. I also added the upgrade kit for Fly. I replaced the deadeyes, ropes, blocks, and the longboat with third party parts. The upgrade supplied a much better deadeye strop as well as gun locks and barrel monograms.

Here is the current progress:
Hallo Charlie alias @STGCS
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Back