Build Log: Endurance - Occre - by Bill Hime

Good Morning Everyone!
Been rather busy with family obligations/guest last couple of weeks. In and out of shipyard as much as possible. I've been preparing hull for running LEDs, and finally gave in to something that's nagged me about this model since I started - I have spent what feels like 100s of hours pouring over pictures, film of Endurance archival and since she's been found/documented.
Biggest miss on this model's portrayal is the large aft cabin/engine room. I became clear that the sides with inset portholes are tapered in, not straight up and down. They also have a decorative tail that sweeps out at the base of the sidewall.
Here's a few pictures to show my direction;

20230726_115611.jpg

20230726_115621.jpg

20230726_120915.jpg

20230726_161731.jpg

20230726_163246.jpg

20230726_170237.jpg

Hello Bill
You will have a lot of fun with the grinder. I have a different manufacturer but basically the same device and I am very satisfied. I use the device every day. And I really like your progress too.

Dear Bill. I am very impressed by what you have done on your ship so far. I fully agree with @GrantTyler Grant that your decking and bulwarks are top notch. I will be following along and look forward to see your progress.

Very nice work Bill. I especially like the weathering on the cabin. Your "preshading" technique is the closest so far to the effect I would like to achieve below the waterline of my Soleil Royal. I shall add to the list of experiments I shall try, but on a mock up of my current planking using the same veneer etc, glues etc to see how everything reacts.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very nice work Bill. I especially like the weathering on the cabin. Your "preshading" technique is the closest so far to the effect I would like to achieve below the waterline of my Soleil Royal. I shall add to the list of experiments I shall try, but on a mock up of my current planking using the same veneer etc, glues etc to see how everything reacts.

Kind Regards

Nigel
Nigel - Thank you for looking in! It will be very interesting to see what you come up with. I want to create a modest demarcation line at the waterline to simulate ice/salt clinging to the ship - I will do this first on a mockup as well.

Hello Everyone!
Wanted to let you know I haven't gone into hiding. We've been in the process of moving and the shipyard is currently under construction! Hope to be back to the Endurance in October and then getting caught up on all your build logs! See you soon!

Decks to the Sun Mates!!

Bill
Good to hear Bill. Look forward to your new shipyard being operational again. Cheers Grant

Well the day has come! The Shipyard is now open - finally after a long and exhausting move, boxes are empty, our house looks like a home and my wife Sateash, and I couldn't feel more blessed.
In addition, I've decided, after 34 years, to retire from healthcare. This coming Thurs, Fri, and Sat, will be my last shifts in ICU. I look forward to devoting my time to writing and my ships - and having more time to get to know all of you! Below, are pics of the shipyard -

(And, The Endurance, is back in drydock!)

20231121_133031.jpg20231121_133539 (3).jpg

Back