Bluenose Model Shipways (again) by Mallacoota [COMPLETED BUILD]

I like the colour(s) of your deck planking very much - very good overall appearance :cool:
Very good work

What happened here? It's as if you cut loose the part of the bulwark with the holes for the nails and then bonded these part overhanging on top of the bulwark. o_O

IMG_0099.jpeg

I think it's the belaying pin rail. Note the starboard side. I started mine a bit further forward.
Yeah, that must be it, moving the belaying pins further aft.
On my BN these pins are also too much forward, but I left them where they were. That really did come back and bit me: the belaying of some of the lines is not what it should look like...

The last thing i want is to be a build-log whinger...but I must honestly say this Model Expo ( Model Shipways) kit is a very moderate quality product. There is only one layer of hull planking...anything comparable from European makers is double planked, no hull pedestals, no base board, and not even a basic MDF support frame to be assembled. There is nothing at all to hold the hull upright for display or hull fit-out and no plans to make one. Obviously I have enough leftovers to make something up but it is the first kit I have ever bought with zero/zip to hold the model upright. It is also a challenge to get the deck planking level because there is no ply false deck which is virtually always included for a POB model for obvious reasons. This stops you from laying the deck in scale plank lengths because of the bulkhead spacing,and you must glue the deck planks sideways to the adjoining plank and that becomes a difficulty when you have covered the plank edges with 4B pencil graphite to give a caulking line. I omitted the sideways gluing and had an unstable deck surface which took some work to get OK, but just could not lay planks in scale lengths. Having said all that they do give you a surplus of wood....my kit wrongly included two bundles of 50 deck planks..?? but generally they do give you more than enough material so that has to be said. The instructions detail how to fit the imaginary pedestals on the imaginary base board....hmmm...!
On the positive side I think the plans are brilliant. I am a long way short of scratch building but these plans would probably be enough... maybe station drawings would be needed but they are very good on the detail of fittings and rigging etc. It is a great model which you can get out of a pretty ordinary kit. Love this boat, just wish Amati had made the kit.

The last thing i want is to be a build-log whinger...but I must honestly say this Model Expo ( Model Shipways) kit is a very moderate quality product. There is only one layer of hull planking...anything comparable from European makers is double planked, no hull pedestals, no base board, and not even a basic MDF support frame to be assembled. There is nothing at all to hold the hull upright for display or hull fit-out and no plans to make one. Obviously I have enough leftovers to make something up but it is the first kit I have ever bought with zero/zip to hold the model upright. It is also a challenge to get the deck planking level because there is no ply false deck which is virtually always included for a POB model for obvious reasons. This stops you from laying the deck in scale plank lengths because of the bulkhead spacing,and you must glue the deck planks sideways to the adjoining plank and that becomes a difficulty when you have covered the plank edges with 4B pencil graphite to give a caulking line. I omitted the sideways gluing and had an unstable deck surface which took some work to get OK, but just could not lay planks in scale lengths. Having said all that they do give you a surplus of wood....my kit wrongly included two bundles of 50 deck planks..?? but generally they do give you more than enough material so that has to be said. The instructions detail how to fit the imaginary pedestals on the imaginary base board....hmmm...!
On the positive side I think the plans are brilliant. I am a long way short of scratch building but these plans would probably be enough... maybe station drawings would be needed but they are very good on the detail of fittings and rigging etc. It is a great model which you can get out of a pretty ordinary kit. Love this boat, just wish Amati had made the kit.
I think we're allowed to address the observed shortcomings of the kits we bought, as long as we limit ourselves to facts. Admittedly, I have very little building experience and subsequently very limited experience with kits and the quality/completeness of the kits we purchase. When reading trough multiple build logs, one thing is rather clear to me; there are no complete kits about, if only looking at the quality of the drawings and the instructions. This also applies to the construction of the kit, the materials supplied and all the tiny bits and pieces, necessary for the build. I guess I could give you a rather extended list of things I wasn't pleased with with my current build. Quite frankly, and now I'm guessing, I think I spend easily 4 times the cost of the kit on things I either I wasn't pleased with or I wanted to add to the model and that's excluding parts and hardware I was gifted by fellow modelers.

I think you're doing a wonderful job on your second Bluenose and have no doubt she'll turn out a worthy model (and on a scratch-build stand...), earning her a spot in your living room.

I finished this off while being a bit bored by doing the same thing again...not a decision I would repeat. So dont sell a boat you really like next time stupid..! Not posting the photos to gallery as we can all have too much Bluenose IMHO.
Moving on with new enthusiasm to Amati Victory Models Revemge- 1577. I am hoping it is like the Mary Rose but better.

I do not fully understand you post, John.
The last picture was from Nov. 21st from the bowsprit. And now:
I finished this off while being a bit bored by doing the same thing again...
….. the same stays? Completed the BN?
Not posting the photos to gallery as we can all have too much Bluenose IMHO.
Well, IMHO there are never to much BN pictures. Because every build is different and with using different techniques. And about the 1st quote: your second …….. (?) is also looking nice ……..
PS-1: There are so many Victories, Alerts, ………… Never to much.
PS-2: I can’t compare “a bit bored by doing the same thing again” with “building a Victory”. For instance: how many cannons to build and rig?
Or building a Bluenose twice or even 3 times!
So, please John, give us some pictures of this nice (completed) Bluenose!
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Congratulations for finishing this well build model
Bravo!

Peter...It is not Victory I am building...heaven forbid. It is HMS Revenge from the Amati "Victory" range. I have posted some final pictures of my Bluenose rebuild below.

Cheers.....John

View attachment 424569View attachment 424570View attachment 424571View attachment 424572View attachment 424573View attachment 424574View attachment 424575View attachment 424576View attachment 424577View attachment 424578View attachment 424579
Thanks for posting and explanation, John. This Bluenose of yours has some very nice added details. And the rope coils are bringing her alive. (And found your HMS Revenge build-log).
Regards, Peter

Back