Belle Poule 1780 by Donnie

So, he used graphite. That can be risky as in the fact that if you start and you do not like it, then it would be very tough to get sanded off.

Onward to more Deck Furnishings: ( I wished that the Belle Poule manual said what parts these are ). I assume that it is some form of Bitts rail - it installs at the fore mast area. I am thinking of painting these dark brown too.

deck-items09.jpg

deck-items10.jpg

deck-items11.jpg

deck-items12.jpg

deck-items13.jpg

Zoltan said this is a type of oven or fireplace. I think I agree. I used a black wash on the inside. It might look kind of simple, but there are a lot of parts to this tiny thing.

deck-items18.jpg

deck-items16.jpg

deck-items17.jpg

AND MANY YEARS AGO !!!

deck-items17-old-photo.jpg

Hi Donnie, you can check this method by D. Banton (the link is a pdf file, i didn’t know hoy to embed it directly here): https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjQpu6G4Lj8AhW0CrkGHe-UAfgQFnoECBoQAQ&url=https://www.foromodelismonaval.es/download/file.php?id=130176&sid=b52ea5bf8b3375bd78980d74b3bbc3e8&usg=AOvVaw1wA8kpdn6hyjJbAtQVEJdp

he applies it to all his works and the results are quite astonishing! Is in spanish so if you need help translating some parts let me know!
cheers!
Hi.can I ask you a question.the translation into Russian sounds like ink for wood.what is this ink? Just plain paint or not?

Hi.can I ask you a question.the translation into Russian sounds like ink for wood.what is this ink? Just plain paint or not?
Это тушь, черная или другого цвета. Мы ипользыеем тушь для цернения, она хорошо пропитывает поры дерева и оставляет птотный цвет.

cGc

Здравствуйте Дмитрий.Вас так зовут?если я правильно вас понял то это обычная тушь для перьевой ручки,так?

Это тушь, черная или другого цвета. Мы ипользыеем тушь для цернения, она хорошо пропитывает поры дерева и оставляет птотный цвет.

cGc
That's just India Ink. Used by calligraphers and hand inking techical drawings with pens (ie Rapidograph). A caution: it will soak into and follow the grain of most woods. Try it on scrap first.

Здравствуйте Дмитрий.Вас так зовут?если я правильно вас понял то это обычная тушь для перьевой ручки,так?
Да, это обыкновеннная тушь. Зовут меня, Дмитрий. :)

Hi Novichok, probably the spanish word tinta is a bit misleading in this case. What the author is meaning is wood stain of genizaro colour. I found the exact bottle (see image) but I believe it doesn’t need to be that same exact product (I highlighted the colour code), probably any dark wood stain would suffice (walnut type or similar) for this purpose. Hope that helps!B9869EC7-B7C9-4947-8324-A0D5CEB2DCC3.jpeg

Hi Donnie!

The interior of the galley (stove) changed over the years from an interior lining of the wooden stove with bricks to iron sheets and finally to the entire stove made of iron. The model of La Belle Poule by Bernard Frölich, has an inner lining of blackened brass sheet to imitate iron sheet.
Your La Belle Poule is progressing quickly and very nicely. I like it very much.

Best regards
Thomas

So, this little guy was the most tedious so far (or by far). The brass pulleys (in my case) had to be sanded down to .39mm to even come close to fitting in the slots. Once I was able to get the pulleys in easily, then the rest was OK getting the brass pin in to hold them.

Drilling here is obvious, but what not be so is that I used a large End Mill to square off the bottom to make it flat. Note that the Pulley is setting on a parallel bar to keep it square too. I drill half way and turn it over and drill through the other half. It is ok to be off a few thousandths in the middle of pulley, but by drilling at the marked holes on each end, I am guaranteed the hole in correct position on each side.

deck-items22.jpg

deck-items23.jpg

deck-items20.jpg

deck-items21.jpg

deck-items19.jpg

deck-items24.jpg

So, this little guy was the most tedious so far (or by far). The brass pulleys (in my case) had to be sanded down to .39mm to even come close to fitting in the slots. Once I was able to get the pulleys in easily, then the rest was OK getting the brass pin in to hold them.

Drilling here is obvious, but what not be so is that I used a large End Mill to square off the bottom to make it flat. Note that the Pulley is setting on a parallel bar to keep it square too. I drill half way and turn it over and drill through the other half. It is ok to be off a few thousandths in the middle of pulley, but by drilling at the marked holes on each end, I am guaranteed the hole in correct position on each side.

Beautiful work! What is that? Basswood? Birch plywood?

Last edited:
Phil,
this kit is just about all Pear wood. I think this is Pear too. It just looks a little brighter as it does not have any Linseed Oil on it yet.

Can someone help me figure out what these parts are? I think they are pumps, but they do not have any handles, unless the upper deck somehow connects to these.

IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

Last edited:
Back