Kit review Artesania Latina Santissima Trinnidad 1/84- A brief look at the new kit

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi All

I have added this kit to my stash as I always wanted to build a model of this vessel as she appeared at Trafalgar. Occre's offering didn't quite scratch my itch and whilst I know Daniel Dusek was developing his own kit, this had been put on the back burner after he took over Mamoli kit's after they had a fire in their factory.

I am not going to go into massive detail as everything is in heat sealed packaging and I rather keep it that way to prevent timber from drying out etc as it might be a while before I start her. I do intend to do a build log in more of a detailed tutorial way, similar to what Keith Julier used to do but in much greater detail. I hope that it will become a useful aid to those also building this large model.

Back to the kit....

This comes in a smallish box that is well packaged but is surprisingly heavy for it's size. Very much unlike Billing's new packaging which contains more air than parts.

Timber

The model contains strip wood,dowel and ply. The strip wood and Dowel is all Birch aside from a few strips of Oak veneer. The strip wood is marked with labels as to sizes to help identification.

Fourteen laser cut frets are included, 13 in Basswood Ply and one small fret in solid timber which I suspect may be Obechi. One point to note is the hull framework is 3mm ply which includes the bulkheads.I have every confidence that the framework will be strong enough but 3mm ply isn't ideal for pinning 2 x 5mm single layer planking. However, I have a work around for this that eliminates the need to pin the planking.More details when I start building.

Fittings

Four clear plastic trays of fittings are supplied, mostly in die cast white metal. Casting quality is light years ahead of that of the likes of Mantua etc with minimal cleanup required.

The smaller Deadeyes are supplied in solid wood as are the blocks. Larger Deadeyes are unfortunately laser cut ply.

Six frets of photo etch brass are included covering Windows, Gun Carriage fittings, Gunport hinges and Lanterns. These are good quality with sharp detail

Rigging thread is the letdown as it is very poor quality with the larger sizes resembling garden twine.

Flags are double sided self adhesive material. I shall experiment with these but I am unsure as to whether I will use these. Depends if I can make them look convincing.

Presewn sails are included, they are what they are, typical kit sails. I have seen nice models built using sails similar to these so I shall see what I can do with them before I consider replacing.

Also included is a roll of 5mm copper tape for the hull. Artesania sell a tool for reproducing the nail indentations which I have also purchased.

Further items

Several templates are included, these cover gunport, scupper and Wale positions as well as one to layout the deck

A colour photographic parts list is included in poster form.

Colour plan of the hull side and deck plan is provided full size.

A colour fully rigged plan is provided in the scale 1/1.5

Conclusion

This is purely based on my opinion and I add I have no connection ( other than a mail order account) with Artesania Latina

The overall package is very good but letdown in the usual areas:

The deck planking is 5mm wide strips, too wide for scale, replacement for narrower planking is advised for a better scale appearance.

Quality of blocks is usual kit fair identical to those used by the Italian manufacturers. They are oversize for the otherwise very well detailed deck armament

The rigging thread is garbage. Even if you just use Amati's or Cardercraft's equivalent, the appearance will be greatly enhanced.

That is about as far as I can comment without further unpacking and ultimately building.

IMG_0985.jpgIMG_0986.jpgIMG_0987.jpgIMG_0988.JPGIMG_0989.jpgIMG_0990.jpgIMG_0991.jpgIMG_0992.jpgIMG_0993.jpgIMG_0994.jpgIMG_0995.jpg

Thanks Guys

I didn't go into massive detail on this one as Artesania have done quite a good job promoting this themselves. Mainly wanted to highlight the few shortcomings but must stress that there is a LOT they did get right.

I didn't mention the instructions, they are free to download from Artesania's website. Fourteen ! separate files containing 800 step by step photographic steps. By far the most comprehensive set of instructions I have ever seen for a model, period. If you want to print them out though I suggest you stock up on ink cartridges ROTF

Are you going to leave these half-cannons or replace them with full ones with a gun carriage ?

Nice. I’ll be looking forward to this build. I’m just getting started in this, and want to get a few medium size builds under my belt, but retirement is not far over the horizon, and the Trinidad is one of the “big boys” on my list for that occasion.

Hi all, what should be the right width for this scale ? In other words what was the actual width for Santisima Trinidad?

Patrick as an educated guess around 300mm max. 5mm multiplied by 84 ( the scale ) gives a width of 420mm, too wide. There was a site on the web with extensive drawings of her prior to the refit but I have tried in vain to find it.I will do further research before committing but believe 3mm planks are more in line with reality

I just bought Santa Ana because I didn't like the Santisima Trinidad model from Occre. Now I'm in a corner because I don't know how to negotiate with my wife to buy the second super large model :D

Like that :
Hi hon remember the super large kit that i bought recently ? well i need the other one as well . think of it as my next year birthday present :D

good luck

Like that :
Hi hon remember the super large kit that i bought recently ? well i need the other one as well . think of it as my next year birthday present :D

good luck
Not this time. This set was a birthday gift, I said i would order any model, and she would contribute a little to the price. She agreed.
A moment later she said, she would make an exception and buy me whatever I wanted.
I asked, do you know that these are expensive toys? She agreed without asking about the price and size.
Wife didn't think it through until Santa Ana arrived. She still accuses me of any occasions or gifts ROTF

Thanks Guys

I didn't go into massive detail on this one as Artesania have done quite a good job promoting this themselves. Mainly wanted to highlight the few shortcomings but must stress that there is a LOT they did get right.

I didn't mention the instructions, they are free to download from Artesania's website. Fourteen ! separate files containing 800 step by step photographic steps. By far the most comprehensive set of instructions I have ever seen for a model, period. If you want to print them out though I suggest you stock up on ink cartridges ROTF
I have just received the kit and upon first look , without opening all the internal packaging to preserve air seal until ready to build, cannot find the QR code mentioned on the website to access the plans. I have downloaded from the web page but curious if the QR code gives access to any more. Have started printing double sided A4 …3 downloads so far…..IMG_0219.png

Back