Amati Bismarck 1:200 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good morning Jack. Wow- you have just put me off building this ship. ;). It is an impressive model. Cheers Grant
sorry about that. I am just being honest. lol. But in all seriousness, it is really the only part of this build that I don't like. Same feeling I get when tieing the ratlines.

Last edited:
So just an fyi for those that are thinking of doing this ship, my rate of work is 1 railing per week. there are 6 railings so I am going to estimate 6 weeks to do this and not have sore eyes. Some may decide to skip this step and that would be a shame, in my opinion.

Boat finished finally. I was a little too conservative on my estimates for completion. Turns out the lower railing takes a long time to finish, for various reasons, but then the other two go by in quickly. Anyways, here are some pics. This concludes my build of the Bismarck

stern.jpgamidships.jpgbow.jpgboat.jpg

boat.jpg

stern.jpg

amidships.jpg

bow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations! Now every time you walk by her you can look at your stanchions with a bit of pride that you put in the necessary work to include this nice detail. A fine looking ship!
Thank you for the kind words
There are some things that I wish I had done differently but it's too late now.
The stanchions were definitely required. In a build like this, the whole point is to show as much detail as possible, even though there is the temptation to skip some steps.

It is hard to say what period of ships I like to model most! But at some time, much earlier, I built models of the steel fleet on a scale of 1/350.
You remind me of that time by building a gorgeous model. Congratulations!

It is hard to say what period of ships I like to model! But at some time, much earlier, I built models of the steel fleet on a scale of 1/350.
You remind me of that time by building a gorgeous model. Congratulations!
Thank you.
I just wanted to do something different than what I am used to doing. This kit satisfied that desire. Now I can look forward to the Constitution. But before I start I have a building slip to assemble.
The Constitution will be a little different from the MS kit as I will be adding sails, which will be my first time doing that. I also plan to experiment a little with the trunnels. I know @dockattner had a devil of a time, but it does look good. Finally I think I will make the hull coppered and make my own plates. I may only do a build log only when I start the sails as there are several build logs already of that ship. I want to put in only new stuff and not the whole thing. and my phone camera sucks.

Back