Alvin Clark

It was all the rage years ago to build historically accurate ship models but the problem was and still is the lack of data, the best anyone could do is a best guess based on general ship building practices of the time and place a ship was built. Even having the original drawings was not necessarily how the ship was built. It depended on materials in the shipyard, the master builder often made changes as the ship was built. It is a rare opportunity to have an intact shipwreck on dry land so i took the opportunity with a camera, measuring tape, pencil and paper and a road trip to visit the Alvin Clark.
When i got there the museum was closed with a chain link fence and a no trespassing sigh, it was now a real shipwreck not open to the public.
It was a long trip and i was not about to turn aroud and go home. It took a few days of phone calls, knocking on doors and finally got permission with a signed waiver the property owners were not responsible for any personal injuries.

alvin museum.jpg

Last edited:
I had in mind to build a model timber for timber as close as i could to the original. To do this i needed to draw a set of plans and hull lines. Considering the condition of the hull coming up with hull line proved to be difficult. The hull was broken and distorted and the lower part of the hull was buried in the ground. I did not know if that was done on purpose or the hull just sank into the ground. The problem, there was no way to measure the hull from the outside, i needed to go in.

wreck4.jpg

At the time the property owner was there, he unlocked the gate to let us in but refused to allow me to actually climb on the wreck. That took some convincing but finally it was ok at your own risk. On deck i looked down into the hatch and had second thoughts. The deck was rotted as you can see on the right. It was dark and scary looking.

wreck5.jpg

inside deck beans caved in and the only light was from the open hatch. The bow section was dark as was the mid section i was standing in. Everything was rotted and turning to dust.

wreck7.jpg

looking back at the stern the cabin floor had collapsed in.

wreck6.jpg

well i could have been much worse the wreck could have been under water.

I was a volunteer librarian at the Great Lakes Historical sociely and a member of the model club. The Alvin Clark did not stir up much intertest among members or the general public. It did not have a bunch of cannons sticking out of the hull or fancy carvings and that is what everyone likes, The Alvin Clark was a simple Great Lakes work boat and nothing fancy. My interest was to build a scale model of a ship with all the timbering and joinery
so i drew a set of plans to build the model, can't build a model without plans.

drawing 1.jpgdrawing 2.jpgdrawing 3.jpgdrawing 4.jpgdrawing 5.jpgdrawing 6.jpgdrawing 7.jpgdrawing 8.jpg

Last edited:
On to the model
When i built the model i was visiting Harold Hahn at his home work shop every other week or whenever i could or he was available. There was a big debate over using figures on models. One thought was it is a bad idea and it takes a model ship into the catagory of a diroama, figures were distracting and you never saw figures on admiralty models. Harold was taking a lot of heat from the self proclaimed experts as what a traditional model ship should or should not be. By this time Harold Hahn was a reconized artist with his work in art museums and he stood his ground and would not be told by arm chair experts how he should build his models or what he puts on the deck.

oliver08c.jpg

Harold was a prolific writer with 2 book and many articles. I ran the idea past him what if i used figures to tell the story of the build in an article? Now that is a novel idea the model is built using a stage setting with figures for photography. the following build was a collaboration with Harold making comments and suggestions as the build progresses.

An interesting story. Is it possible that the ship was buried to provide the hull with adequate humidity? Or did it just collapse from the rain and weight ?

at the time the Alvin was raised and put on display the cost of trying to preserve it was beyond the financial abilities of the owner. As a matter of fact he went bankrupt trying to preserve the hull. I did approach the Great Lakes historical Society and the Mathers museum with the idea of taking the Alvin Clark apart and reassemble it the hold of the Mathers, a ship within a ship. The idea did gain support but the problem was the estimated 2.3 million to do it. So the Alvin Clark was left to rot and finally cave in.

Steamship-William-G.-Mather-Museum.jpg

24 years ago in the model shop at the Great lakes historical Museum in Vermillion Ohio the members of the model club built a 1/2 to the foot scale model of the Alvin Clark, the model was finished and on display in the museum. When the museum moved to Toledo, Ohio the Alvin Clark never made it to the new museum. Asking staff members at the museum in Toledo no one knew what happened to the model, some thought it was sold to a private collector and some say it was lost in a warehouse someplace. It has been years and i have not followed up on the model.

museum1.jpgmuseum2.jpg

The guy standing with the black hair and plad shirt is me now i have gray hair and 24 years older. The rest of the members i suspect are gone along with the model.

museum3.jpgmuseum4.jpg

I had to stop and reread the newspaper articles when I saw she was pulled from Green Bay, and was headed to DePere.

My grandpa was an old train maintenance person who lived in DePere, WI. We used to go up for visits many years ago back in 60's-70's before he passed away.

He lived only a mile or so from the Fox River in DePere.

24 years ago in the model shop at the Great lakes historical Museum in Vermillion Ohio the members of the model club built a 1/2 to the foot scale model of the Alvin Clark, the model was finished and on display in the museum. When the museum moved to Toledo, Ohio the Alvin Clark never made it to the new museum. Asking staff members at the museum in Toledo no one knew what happened to the model, some thought it was sold to a private collector and some say it was lost in a warehouse someplace. It has been years and i have not followed up on the model.

View attachment 408307View attachment 408308

The guy standing with the black hair and plad shirt is me now i have gray hair and 24 years older. The rest of the members i suspect are gone along with the model.

View attachment 408309View attachment 408310
Very nice to see these photos. Everyone lending a hand. 1/2 to the foot, nice build scale. Dave, you have many years building and sharing. Thank you for all you have contributed to this hobby.

going through my archives i found this

in the last days the Alvin Clark was a pirate ship

Her recovery was heralded by Howard I. Chapelle, historian of the Smithsonian Institute at Washington, D.C.

“This is a true treasure of the Great Lakes,” he wrote to Hoffman shortly after the ship was raised. “Your recovery of the schooner is of far greater importance than a few gold coins and a hull fragment from some supposed ‘treasure ship.’ In your find we will now be able to put together, in great part, the real work-a-day craft of the past.”

. The Alvin clark's history was pieces together by using logbooks, enrollment papers, newspaper accounts and harbor master and business records. The brigantine was built at the Bates and Davis shipyard in Trenton Michigan in 1846 for the Detroit businessman, fisherman, and ship builder John Clark, the ship was named after his son Alvin Clark. The Clark was a relatively large vessel designed as a Great Lakes cargo vessel measuring 105 feet in length 25 foot beam and a displacement of 220 tons. Very little information was found for the first five years, she never apperaed in harbor master records or any journal records. This is actually logical as the ship was owned by John Clark a successful commercial fisherman out of Detroit so the ship sailed privately for Clarks business and business associates carrying fish to the north and salt on the return trip. In 1850 the Alvin Clark was sold as a cargo vessel to G.W. Bissell and in 1851 she appeared in harbor records all over the upper Great Lakes. Records indicate the Clark carried huge cargos of coal, grain, salt and lumber, journal records of Bissell and harbor records show the Clark continued to haul cargo until she was sold in 1856 to William Higgie of Racine Wisconsin. From this point, official records of the Alvin Clark are almost nonexistent. Activities of the Alvin Clark can be traced because she made quite a reputation for herself on Lake Michigan as a pirate ship. Information is quite sketchy, but a big business had grown around the lumbering of timber from government land without payment then sold in ports like Chicago without question and at a hight profit. There are numerous references to the Higgie family's involvement in the transporting of contraband cargo of Federal timber. In Grand Haven it is reoprted Francis Higgie captain of the Alvin Clark was arrested and jailed on charges of untaxed lumber. His crew broke him out of jail, restole a cargo of confiscated lumber and excaped to Chicago where it was sold. Higgie was again arrested in Manistee where he bribed his way off a jail ship and ecaped. The priate lumber trade went unchecked until 1877 and the Alvin Clark was in the thick of it until her sinking in 1864.

Finally from a Detriot newspaper article titled

"Unsuccessful Wrecking Expedition"

The tug Sara E. Bryant, which left Buffalo some three weeks since to go to the relief of the schooner Alvin Clark capsized in Green Bay, returned from that locality on Sunday evening as far as this port of Detriot and proceeded on to Buffalo yesterday morning. The work of raising the Alvin Clark was not accomplished and she lies in 20 fathoms of water. Since her disaster she has been sold to other parties who contemplate getting her up at the earliest possible opportunity.

The opertunity did not come until 105 years after the sinking when the Alvin Clark was raised by Frank

In 1967 Frank Hoffmann was quoted saying " I began a many dimensional journey which has taken me through time, space and the hidden corners of my own thoughts. I traveled aboard the Alvin Clark, beginning my odyssey when she was still a mystery wreck at the bottom of Green Bay. There were many reasons why the ship could not be raised. There was no equipment, no experience, no money and no professional help. The work on a ship 110 feet down was sheer folly." But in spite of all the hardships the Alvin Clark was raised intact in July of 1969. Frank Hoffman a sport diver and owner of a bar and resort motel at Egg Harbor, got a call from a commercial fisherman to help free a trawling net snagged on something below the surface. Frank and a close friend boarded the vessel Dellie W. and made the 16 mile trip to the tangled net. From the surface they could not move the net so before leaving they made several sonar runs over the area to determine what the net was tangled on. From the sonar readings they knew the net was entangled on a sunken ship. Once the job of freeing the net and lines Hoffmann and fellow dives began to explore the shipwreck and make plans to raise the ship. The dive team worked weekends and vacations pumping silt and mud from the hull, Frank closed his motel to the public to house and feed the divers and their families figuring the cheaper he can make the trip for the divers the more often they can come to work on the wreck. At this point Frank was slowly going broke and took out a second mortgage to pay the divers and buy equipment. A break came when Harold Derusha of Marinette Marine corp. offered the use of a 60 foot military landing craft to mount an old 5 inch army surplus pump Hoffmann purchased from the village of Egg Harbor. Pumping of silt from the hull continues through out the summer and when the hull was finally cleared it was decided to use cables strung under the hull to create a sling to lift the ship. More money was borrowed to pay the crew and purchase the cables. fund raising efforts were done but no money was coming in the stress began to show in Frank and his wife Ellie as they tried to keep things going. Cables were in place and the Alvin Clark was ready to be lifted from the bottom of Green Bay, work of the divers was now done and these amateur dives completed 3,000 dives in murky water where they could see no more than 3 to 5 feet in front of their masks, when silt was stirred up they worked in total darkness. By the time of the lift the crew worked on a promise Hoffmann would raise money to pay salaries. Hundreds of on lookers and news crews boated out to the site to watch the lift. It took 100 turns of the four hand-cranked winches to lift the wreck five inches. With the crew exhausted on looker began to tie up to the barge and come aboard to continue the cranking of the winches.

The Alvin Clark was put on display with a small museum of artifacts as a tourist attraction but the money coming in was not sufficient to maintain the rapid deterioration of the vessel. Within a few years the pond she floated in was drained as the ship could no longer stay afloat. With no financial assistance to help preserve the ship, Frank Hoffmann's wife left him, his bar and motel gone, broke and frustrated from trying everything he could to save the ship he set out one night to burn the Alvin Clark to the ground. After several failed attempts to sell the Alvin Clark the property along with the ship was finally sold to Diversified Investment Group. The property was leased to Don Gillette who planned on turning the property into a marina and profits from the venture would be used to restore the Alvin Clark. As fate would have it the marina was not as profitable as originally thought and it lost its lease to Diversified Investment Group. By this time the hull was falling faster and faster into disrepair and Diversified Investment Group had no interest in sinking money into the Alvin Clark. Pressure on the investment group by the city to remove the collapsing hull prompted the land owners to allow a group to salvage whatever they could and what was left was trucked to a landfill.

The Alvin Clark was lost in 1864 and found in 1967 and her final fate lost in 1994.

Last edited:
Back