118 Gun French three-decker - Le Commerce de Marseille / L'Ocean - scale 1:72

I'm kind of repeating myself, but there's another thing to do before I can place more decks. There won't be such good access to make windows when I close the interior with deck. It seems like I'm playing chess I have to think at least three moves ahead:)

Only one pice. I will try to make them with filling, so they look like with glass

DSC_0644.JPG
DSC_0645.JPG

Hello all

After a large bit of re-dos, constant breaking of parts and general no progression at all, I think I have something worth leaving on model.
I got myself some free extra work due to change of color. You can see some leftovers on edges- I've run out of paint to cover them.
@Uwe Black Swan part 2;):p

20231016_175641.jpg
20231016_175711.jpg

I need some advice. Inner parts of window for first level were quite deep- around 7mm. The next ones I need to make have 3mm at best. This may seem like marginal difference, but it's huge. How to make a window with such small and thin margin to operate?

Witaj
Zrób je jak się robi greting od razu na pożądany wymiar ja tak robiłem do wielu modeli i byłem zadowolony z efektów. Mam prośbę do ciebie Wojtas chodzi mi o tokarkę proxxon chciałem porozmawiać mój tel 609568505. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Make them as you do greasing, immediately to the desired size. I did this for many models and was pleased with the results. I have a request for you, Wojtas, I mean the Proxxon lathe, I wanted to talk, my phone number is 609568505. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Witaj
Zrób je jak się robi greting od razu na pożądany wymiar ja tak robiłem do wielu modeli i byłem zadowolony z efektów. Mam prośbę do ciebie Wojtas chodzi mi o tokarkę proxxon chciałem porozmawiać mój tel 609568505. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Make them as you do greasing, immediately to the desired size. I did this for many models and was pleased with the results. I have a request for you, Wojtas, I mean the Proxxon lathe, I wanted to talk, my phone number is 609568505. Regards, Mirek
Te dolne tak właśnie zrobiłem. Poziome drewienko ma wcięcie do połowy około 3mm. Tego poziomego nie frezowałem tylko dopasowałem szerokość do wcięcia.
Tutaj będzie problem bo całe ono ma 3mm i żeby zrobić tą samą metodą te poprzeczne miałyby 1,5mm szerokości jeśli by zrobić w cięcie na tym poziomym do połowy. I do tego w połączeniu z grubościami poniżej 1mm robi się skomplikowanie pomimo dość łatwego wykonania.

That's what I did for the lower ones. The horizontal piece of wood has an indentation of approximately 3mm in half. I did not mill the horizontal one, I just adjusted the width to the indentation.There will be a problem here because the whole thing is 3 mm and to make it using the same method, the transverse ones would be 1.5 mm wide if you cut halfway on the horizontal one. And in combination with thicknesses below 1 mm it becomes complicated despite being quite easy to make.

Hello all

After a large bit of re-dos, constant breaking of parts and general no progression at all, I think I have something worth leaving on model.
I got myself some free extra work due to change of color. You can see some leftovers on edges- I've run out of paint to cover them.

View attachment 400450
View attachment 400452

I need some advice. Inner parts of window for first level were quite deep- around 7mm. The next ones I need to make have 3mm at best. This may seem like marginal difference, but it's huge. How to make a window with such small and thin margin to operate?
Wojtas, hello.
Look here: http://forum.modelsworld.ru/post455451.html#p455451
maybe this will help you

Hello all

I finaly got the material and enough free time to start visble gun carriages. I followed Jim's @Jimsky tutorial about making axle in one piece with beam.
Here goes making process of jig and example to discusion, if you really need only dremel.
DSC_0662.JPG
DSC_0661.JPG
DSC_0664.JPG

Despite it is a selfcentering device I had to make some minor changes to get the jig into center every time I changed wood strip.
I lowered and rised the jig till I got the dead center
DSC_0665.JPG
The end results. I don't know how it will fit with rest of the carriage. I got some other method, if this one fails in assembly
DSC_0669.JPG

I spent almost half a day only preparing wood. This is how a pile of wood with "make yourself a carriage" plate looks like:)
Fortunately I didn't have to make round dowels
DSC_0668+.JPG
Oh, If you somehow don't get as repetitive result in your cuts form proxon 27070/FET, try tightening this screw
DSC_0667.JPG

Last but not least some stuff from SZKUTNIK. The big cleats will be transformed into a mast cleats and little ones go to some places on deck
DSC_0672.JPG

Hello all

View attachment 400450
View attachment 400452

How about filling the "grating" window frame with clear casting resin. You can then sand down to the correct thickness and polish the resin to represent glass. Not tried it, but in theory, it could work

How about filling the "grating" window frame with clear casting resin. You can then sand down to the correct thickness and polish the resin to represent glass. Not tried it, but in theory, it could work
I tried that before, lets say I wasn't satysfied with result. Ofcourse it's a doable, but unfortunately I would have to make some more attempts(A LOT of attempts;))
I can make them "grating" way, now it's no problem

Hello
Most of the deep windows are done, only the ones in the doors and the flat ones on the sides remain.
I need to add columns to properly assess the distances. If anyone is interested, I used such a cutter to make notches in balcony doors.

The shine on the right side is not dried enough linseed oil, not a painting error
DSC_0677_1.JPG
DSC_0676.JPG

Like I said before I'm not very pleased with all elements, so I tried different method.
Just literally and straight forward milling. I think I should make them all this way. Making them like grating introduces a lot of inconsistency in repetition of element as whole.

This is 2,5mm flat beech
20231108_195659-1.jpg
20231108_195603-2.jpg

This way could be a solution - One small problem is the fact that the window frames are not really rectangular - and you have to sand the edges of the "holes" with a needle file, so that they are really "edged"
At the end maybe a really good solution

This way could be a solution - One small problem is the fact that the window frames are not really rectangular - and you have to sand the edges of the "holes" with a needle file, so that they are really "edged"
At the end maybe a really good solution
They need a little touch up like you said, so far it's the best looking method even with this little mistake

Hello
Little update on ship

I replaced all windows with milled 2,5mm flat beech ones. The "fake" ones are before treating with linseed oil. Left them to show you the differnce. All I need for finishing stern is fancy decorations, but it's a little deeper subject and depends on how I want to finish the ship. So, for now I want to focus on filling in the inside:)

20231128_163341.jpg

Inserts are glued, dowels are only fitted, same for beams- only dry fit.
I plan on adding supports to stabilize them on every invisible deck

20231128_163400.jpg
20231128_163529.jpg
20231128_164150.jpg

"Przeczytałem I gratuluję. Wymieniłem stare okienka na te frezowane, wygląda to lepiej, nie zmierzam jednak nikogo kłuć tym w oczy.
Wiem już też jak to poprawić, żeby były od linijki, ale to na następny raz" - pisałes na starym forum. I to mi się teraz podoba! Tak działaj
Pozdrawiam

"I have read it and congratulations. I replaced the old windows with milled ones, it looks better, but I don't want to poke anyone in the eye with it.
I also know how to correct it so that they are one-liners, but that's for next time - you wrote on the old forum. And I like it now! Keep it that way
Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Te wymienione są na zdjęciu wyżej. W następnym modelu będę chciał okienka i prę innych rzeczy jako gotowce tak żebym nie musiał ich robić i żeby nie straszyć moimi strugańcami. Mi to oszczędzi czas i nikt nie będzie marudził, że koślawe.

These replaced are in the photo above. In the next model, I want windows and a few other things as ready-made items so that I don't have to make them and so that I don't scare you with my "scratch". It will save me time and no one will complain that it's crooked.

Back