Translation of French

Bon jour to our French shipmates. I've just been translating from J. Boudriot's vol 3 of Le vasseux de 74 canons, (google/Firefox translate), but some words do not translate, eg. poulie de caliorne = caliorne pulley ? & poulie de candelette. = candle pulley? I'm hoping one of you can tell me what they are in English, s'il vous plait. A translation that made me laugh was 'Fiery parrot', for topgallant, when I'd missed an accent!
ROTF
Stuart

Bon jour to our French shipmates. I've just been translating from J. Boudriot's vol 3 of Le vasseux de 74 canons, (google/Firefox translate), but some words do not translate, eg. poulie de caliorne = caliorne pulley ? & poulie de candelette. = candle pulley? I'm hoping one of you can tell me what they are in English, s'il vous plait. A translation that made me laugh was 'Fiery parrot', for topgallant, when I'd missed an accent!
ROTF
Stuart
Or make a small photo of the page where these words are written and I can check the wording in my english version of the 74-gun ship books

BTW: For all members who do not know the work by Jean Boudriot, please take a look at the book review(s)

ROTF
Stuart

Dieses Buch kann dir helfen.
Grüsse
Karl

Paasch.jpg

Or make a small photo of the page where these words are written and I can check the wording in my english version of the 74-gun ship books

BTW: For all members who do not know the work by Jean Boudriot, please take a look at the book review(s)

Here you are Uwe, page 154, 155 nrs. 21,22. Vielen dank, Stuart

IMG_5373.JPG

Dieses Buch kann dir helfen.
Grüsse
Karl

View attachment 443694
Yes - correct a good hint
Here is a book review also with a link to a cost free online version

FROM KEEL TO TRUCK
DE LA QUILLE A LA POMME DE MAT
Vom Kiel zum Flaggenkopf

by Capt. H. PAASCH

Well, does that not make Google's translation a Joke? I think you all can see the funny side!ROTF
Vielen dank, again Uwe.

Stuart
Google is translating every single word - with this sometimes the result sounds funny

Sure does, especially 'candle pulley'! What with fiery parrots on the topmasts! But then again, English can be like that to Europeans.
Or we germans are combining several words and produce one new word out of them

F.e.

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsanwärter is one word

Donau - Danube
Dampf - steam
Schiffahrts - shipping / sailing
Gesellschaft - company
Kapitän - captain
Anwärter - candidate

Danube Steamship Company Captain Candidate

Or we germans are combining several words and produce one new word out of them

F.e.

Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänsanwärter is one word

Donau - Danube
Dampf - steam
Schiffahrts - shipping / sailing
Gesellschaft - company
Kapitän - captain
Anwärter - candidate

Danube Steamship Company Captain Candidate
Ja, I've tried getting my tongue around some of those in my past travels when I had a Hymer wohnmobile!:p
I actually could translate that myself, at least German is far easier (for me) to pronounce than French!

ROTF
Stuart
Hi Stuart,
Being native French speaker, I might help once in a blue moon .
The sails above tops have indeed parrot names, perroquet, then cacatois, which translate as parrot, then cockatoo
For the mizzen mast, the sails are called perroquet de fougue, then cacatois de perruche, but the notion of mizzen in itself is a joke as in French Mizaine is the foremast, not the aft one

Those books are beyond amazing. Incidentally I ordered mine directly from Ancre in France. Even with shipping the cost was very comparable to anything I could find over here....even cheaper. The service was very quick....about a week....and they were expertly wrapped and packed.

Back