READ FIRST : IMPORTANT INFO : Quick Start Guide for Le Rochefort by A.N.C.R.E.

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

This is a Group Build. The plans can be ordered from www.ancre.fr website. Also a COMPANION book can be ordered as well from ancre.fr

I. Below is a COMPANION book that is purchased separately from ANCRE. It is NOT part of the Plan and Booklet set. It is by Adrian Sorola.

AN INTRODUCTION TO PLANKED-ON-FRAME SCALE MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”
An introduction to Planked on frame model ship building through more than 200 pages illustrated by approximately 500 colour photographs and captions.
This guide includes explanations on all the techniques used during the construction of a model. If you purchase, make sure you select your correct language.

1669695188803.png

2. Next are the "Plans and Booklet" along with a few other variations of scale sizes. The link is here as well:

3. Lastly, shopping for lumber, here are a few resources - if you know of others, please send me a PM.
A.
B.
C.
D.
E.

Last edited:
Ill drop this here as its important.
I found a discrepancy in the thickness of the lumber needed. In Adrian’s book it says 6.95mm for the keel assembly on page 8. On page 35 it says 6.75mm and also in a PM between myself and Adrian he has told me 6.75mm. Just want to make everyone aware of this.
I’m going with 6.75 as I have 1/4” lumber here that actually measures 17/64 which is spot on. For the frames the thickness should be 5.30mm. Worse case scenario I’ll go with 7/32 if I can’t get the metric thickness milled. It comes out to 5.52mm vs 5.30mm. Not a deal breaker. That can be sanded down in my sander.

Ill drop this here as its important.
I found a discrepancy in the thickness of the lumber needed. In Adrian’s book it says 6.95mm for the keel assembly on page 8. On page 35 it says 6.75mm and also in a PM between myself and Adrian he has told me 6.75mm. Just want to make everyone aware of this.
I’m going with 6.75 as I have 1/4” lumber here that actually measures 17/64 which is spot on. For the frames the thickness should be 5.30mm. Worse case scenario I’ll go with 7/32 if I can’t get the metric thickness milled. It comes out to 5.52mm vs 5.30mm. Not a deal breaker. That can be sanded down in my sander.
Thanks for the update Tony very good to know, my experience with milling to very fine tolerances is that wood moves... And humidity matters... Mill the wood, wait a few days, check the thickness, adjust if necessary but every time you expose new wood let it rest and acclimate and be very careful this time of year as the humidity falls... Personal experience here when I was building my Warrior... A lot of my "sistered" frames split as soon as the humidity fell... I had to brace the whole with a strap clamp until I could address the humidity issues and stabilize the hull. I'll post pics if I can find them in the archives.

Thanks for the update Tony very good to know, my experience with milling to very fine tolerances is that wood moves... And humidity matters... Mill the wood, wait a few days, check the thickness, adjust if necessary but every time you expose new wood let it rest and acclimate and be very careful this time of year as the humidity falls... Personal experience here when I was building my Warrior... A lot of my "sistered" frames split as soon as the humidity fell... I had to brace the whole with a strap clamp until I could address the humidity issues and stabilize the hull. I'll post pics if I can find them in the archives.
Yes, I’m hoping I can get it milled to spec (thickness) but if not it’s only a matter of taking off 1/32 or so. We’ll see how it works out. Thanks

You find a planset review here in our forum

LE ROCHEFORT - 1787
Harbour Supply Vessel / Yacht
- 1:36
by Gerard Delacroix

and also a book review of

An introduction to MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”
(often also "AN INTRODUCTION TO PLANKED ON FRAME SCALE MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”")
by Adrian SOROLLA translation by GILLES KORENT

When you start your Log, please send me a PM to remind me to install your BADGE such as this added to your signature.

1669919434289.png

Hi Gary,
that is great - I look forward to you joining the Group. I will add the Group Build Badge to your signature when you create your build log. Do you need any assistance with that part?

You can go to this link:

Then see this screenshot below and go to the TOP (where it says [ (No prefix) "Thread Title" ] and create your thread and name it similar to what others did. When you do this, I will have to LINK the Badge ICON with the thread.

1670436713145.png

Hello colleagues IMPORTANT!!!

I think I've got to the bottom of the mystery that has caused some confusion.

6.75mm or 6.95mm, both measurements are correct. I am in the process of building a test frame and lo and behold, here we find the two different measurements.
The keel measures 6.75mm, but the keelson measures 6.95mm.

F223F3B6-255D-4CA4-AD74-E5C024A97E58.jpeg

Salve colleghi IMPORTANTE!!!

Credo di essere arrivato in fondo al mistero che ha creato un po' di confusione.

6,75 mm o 6,95 mm, entrambe le misure sono corrette. Sto costruendo un telaio di prova ed ecco, qui troviamo le due diverse misure.
La chiglia misura 6,75 mm, ma il chiglia misura 6,95 mm.

View attachment 349328
Mi dispiace non riesco a capire dov'è la differenza .these are the measurements from the monograph

F223F3B6-255D-4CA4-AD74-E5C024A97E58.jpeg

Last edited:
Again, Adrian writes a width of 6.95mm at one time and a width of 6.75mm at another time. If you look at the plans with the frames you will see the difference. The upper recess has a width of 6.95mm where the keelson sits. The lower recess where the frame engages with the keel is 6.75 mm wide.

Hello Frank and Tobias,

I'm confused about the dimensions you are showing in your pictures.

In the mono from GD there is a chapter "Scantlings of wooden framing". Here it says:
Keel: 10 pouces (270 mm) depth, 9 pouces (243 mm) thick
Keelson: made of one piece, width 10 po (270 mm), 9 po (240 mm) thick, including the notches

This would translate into the scale 1/36:
Keel: 7.50 mm depth, 6.75 mm thick
Keelson: width 7.50 mm, 6.67 mm thick, including the notches

A picture is worth 1000 words so this is my understanding of the intended dimensions:
2023-03-25_Masse Kiel_Commented.JPG

The 6,95 mm show in Adrian's book are in my opinion a mistake.

Please correct me, if I my understanding is wrong.

Hello Tobias,

My apology for asking again, but I still guess that the keelson is 7.50 mm wide and not 6.95 mm.

Statement from the monograph:
2023-03-25_Masse Kiel_4_Commented.JPG

On plan 7 it looks like that the part you are measuring in the picture above is slightly smaller than the keelson:
2023-03-25_Masse Kiel_5_commented.JPG

Measurements from plan 11:
2023-03-25_Masse Kiel_2_Commented.JPG

2023-03-25_Masse Kiel_3_Commented.JPG

Please see also the cross section of frame 30 on plan 11 for the different dimension of the keelson and the part with 6.95 mm width
2023-03-25_Masse Kiel_6_Commented.JPG

Last edited:
Back